• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Captain America #46. Nuff said! I bought this and a whole bunch of similar GA books from a friend in New Jersey many years ago. He was into collectibles but he didn't collect comics but thought of me. He got them at a barn sale. I bought them sight unseen over the phone. He would read off the book and give me a rough idea of condition and ask if I wanted it. Most all I wanted. He quoted me a price that was VERY fair and I took them. Funny part was he knew Ritchie Munchen who was over at his house trying to buy them from him at the same time. He told Ritchie that he promised me first shot and whatever I didn't want was Ritchie's. I remember this, a Supe #53, a Thrilling #44, Pep #34 and a bunch of others than weren't so key. Funny thing was I heard Ritchie groaning in the background everytime I said yes... (and yes, I did feel a little bad and left him some scraps).

comcaptamerica46_zpsvqnwhfhn.jpg

You must be related to Michelle Nolan... lol You have almost everything...

Not even close my friend. I know Michelle is VERY into romance comics. Probably one of the biggest collections out there. Does she collect everything else too? I know she's been seriously at it longer than I have.

The Witness #1. Got this at San Diego con a million years ago. One you don't see very often...

comwitness1_zpsuf3amves.jpg

Cool Timely's Robot Man, this one reminds me of an old Claude Rains movie 'The Unsuspected'.

I'm kind of surprised you haven't run into any of them. These are all the Australian Superman pins I know of. I got the Argus one in a Melbourne comic store while visiting my wife's family. The other two were Fleabay purchases. I also have a couple Tarzan pins and a beautiful Phantom Australian pin. Are there many flea markets there? That might be a good place or antique stores. Like anything in collecting, you have to beat all the bushes hard and get lucky.

People ask me from time to time: "Robot Man, What can I collect that is small, interesting and cheap?" Matchbooks, I reply. They fit all that criteria plus they are just about limitless in subject matter. Usually $1. to $2. each. At worst maybe $20. for a real killer one. Here are some that might interest people here.

1940's Disney: The Hop Low is pretty rare and from Fantasia.

matchesdisney_zpseoro4xwt.jpg

I'm kind of surprised you haven't run into any of them. These are all the Australian Superman pins I know of. I got the Argus one in a Melbourne comic store while visiting my wife's family. The other two were Fleabay purchases. I also have a couple Tarzan pins and a beautiful Phantom Australian pin. Are there many flea markets there? That might be a good place or antique stores. Like anything in collecting, you have to beat all the bushes hard and get lucky.

Well, this explains a lot.

You've been through the joint like a giant vacuum cleaner, sucking up all the good stuff, shoving it in a giant carpetbag and taking off lol

I check every flea market possible, but let's face it, a place like NYC will have a vastly better "selection" than even a larger city, like Melbourne, would have.

I've got a couple of Phantom rings, but the ones I (and every other collector here) really covet are a rubber Phantom ring that would leave a "bad mark" impression on a villain's jaw (most have long since simply perished).

The other is a Captain Atom ring whose eyes "glow with an unearthly green fire".

Here's a Linky.

These are great! I had no idea there were matchbooks created to promote the purchase of comics.

Here is a nice little group of various comic characters:

matchescomiccharacters_zpsvniuqp7e.jpg