• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Coin is Coming!

424 posts in this topic

Sure no problem, I give you tons of money so you can collect comics and I assume all the risk. But hey, not big deal, I read the risk on some cruddy website that my 9 year old nephew could do a better job designing, so I have been warned. Forget anything about honest business practices, reliable investment options or just plain human decency. No real business plan, no problem! No real system or rules in place to protect investors, no problem! No real idea what you are doing, no problem!

Sign me up, take my money, let it ride - all because it is fun! Yep, anything in the name of fun!

Oh, it's you again. Good Morning! I thought you started a new thread with the "real" Comic Book Coin specifically to get people to stop posting here? I think you said "don't feed the trolls" or something to that effect.

But, it's...uh...nice to see you back!

Sure no problem, I give you tons of money so you can collect comics and I assume all the risk. But hey, not big deal, I read the risk on some cruddy website that my 9 year old nephew could do a better job designing, so I have been warned. Forget anything about honest business practices, reliable investment options or just plain human decency. No real business plan, no problem! No real system or rules in place to protect investors, no problem! No real idea what you are doing, no problem!

Sign me up, take my money, let it ride - all because it is fun! Yep, anything in the name of fun!

Oh, it's you again. Good Morning! I thought you started a new thread with the "real" Comic Book Coin specifically to get people to stop posting here? I think you said "don't feed the trolls" or something to that effect.

:hi:

Just waiting for some sign of intelligence or a realistic business proposal to come from you. Don't mind me.

Tell us a little bit about yourself

How old are you?

How long have you been collecting comic books?

What is your educational/employment background?

fortuneteller_600x496.jpg

Younger than 35 (most likely late 20's).

Will claim for >15 years, but realistically has not been seriously collecting at all (doesn't own a book worth over $20).

State college, job jumper and unhappy with the corporate world not bowing down to his genius by making him CEO in the first 10 months of employment at each job.

Ha! that's it -- you got me! :D

:hi:

Just waiting for some sign of intelligence or a realistic business proposal to come from you. Don't mind me.

Are you really sure that you would recognize a sign of intelligence?

I have to go for a little while. You guys really keep me on my toes!! I am not ignoring you, I just have to go do other things for the coin for a while.

As I have said, CBC is not for everyone and you can all listen to rfoiii, if he is the resident advisor. That is fine and I completely understand your reticence.

For those of you who are interested, well thanks first of all and please be sure to check out that website, that some of you find horrible :D. As I said earlier though, I have gotten tons of compliments on it. Maybe the crypto world wanted something a little different -- who knows, but the reactions are interesting.

For those of you who have purchased some of the silver and gold "coins" that acquire as they go, this coin is going to be similar.

And once you are a coin holder, come down and visit us (and your comics) anytime and say hello!

just hope you looked into the legal issues - I would actually REALLY question any comics book store trying to say book a is worth XXX based on CPG.,,,, not even as part of a call for people to invest......

They can call this a coin or a cryptocurrency, but they're soliciting investors, investing in comics, issuing dividends, engaging in buybacks - it's an investment company as far as the SEC is concerned. I hope they have consulted a good securities lawyer because this looks flat-out illegal without complying with all the regulations in place. :eek:

Oh, and any dividends are absolutely going to be taxable in the eyes of the IRS. 2c

So with all the research you've done on not only creating this coin and developing the website, the best book you can come up with is Avengers Annual #7 as your initial offering. How long did it take to come up with this idea? Seems kind of half assed.

It was chosen as more of a gesture than anything else. It's the Avengers, Joss Whedon has mentioned it as one of his favorites and it's a high grade. CBC is meant to attract casual fans as well, and nearly everyone on the planet knows the Avengers.

And it provided an easy way to explain graded versus non-graded comic books to the non-collector. If you look on the website you will see that I use it almost as an educational tool for newbies.

Of course we are aware that the comic is not rare (and say so on the site). We are also aware that it is hardly a huge key book for collectors. However, and I know I will get disagreement on this, we do feel that the comic book will increase in value over the next few years (in that high grade) and we are happy with it.

However, once the coin is launched, that will probably not be indicative of the comic books we are seeking. First of all, most will probably be earlier than that one (1977) and far earlier is likely.

If nearly everyone on the planet knows the Avengers, I would also think that nearly everyone will assume that a #1 of any title would be the one to grab for "investment" purposes, especially the casual fans. Why not Avengers #1 (the SA book) as the initial offering? And you mention investors can come by to look at the books you're investing their money in...sorry to tell you this but Avengers Annual #7 is hardly comic book eye candy for most people. So by mentioning the director's name is supposed to lend some credibility to your pick?

"Most will probably be earlier than one (1977)" - so what are your picks for the next few books?

just hope you looked into the legal issues - I would actually REALLY question any comics book store trying to say book a is worth XXX based on CPG.,,,, not even as part of a call for people to invest......

They can call this a coin or a cryptocurrency, but they're soliciting investors, investing in comics, issuing dividends, engaging in buybacks - it's an investment company as far as the SEC is concerned. I hope you have consulted a good securities lawyer because this looks flat-out illegal without complying with all the regulations in place. :eek:

Oh, and any dividends are absolutely going to be taxable in the eyes of the IRS. 2c

+1

There will be a market for the coins, separate from the comic books.

So what are they worth? You say the coins and the comics are separate, but the coins are backed by the books? If someone in China buys out half of your coins and wants to cash out on day 2, what does he get? Do you sell the book and have 0 books left? Or do you pay him half of the CPG value of your book? What if you buy a book I really want, can I buy enough coins to cash in on this book and do an even trade? Do those coins stay in the market after you sell a book and lose value, or do you buyback coins and keep the currency even?

And who really owns the books? You? TonicComics? Thomas Neely? Does everyone with the coins "own" the book?

Can I use these on Amazon? eBay? Silkroad? Where can I spend these? If they can't be spent, should we just call them stocks like someone earlier stated?

You keep going back to why we should care about crypto-currency, but this is a comic book forum. People here just want to know what comics, are they pressed, and can you flip them better than they can when the time comes.

They can call this a coin or a cryptocurrency, but they're soliciting investors, investing in comics, issuing dividends, engaging in buybacks - it's an investment company as far as the SEC is concerned. I hope you have consulted a good securities lawyer because this looks flat-out illegal without complying with all the regulations in place. :eek:

Way to ruin everyone's "fun". ;)

There are hundreds if not thousands of altcoins created, all except a very small handful have failed. Altcoins are not backed by standard or (in this case) non-standard commodities so you are being purposefully deceitful by trying to imply that the coins are in any way related to the comics you will be buying with others money. Any altcoin is based on pure faith in its ability for utilization.

I have seen no where in your "business model" how you explain it will be able to be used or accepted by second or third parties. You also cannot pay "dividends" on altcoins as they are not an invest-able stock that can show returns, so this is illegal and I have not even read half this thread yet.

You seem to be very young, very young, like late teens young who read about bitcoins on the internet and thought you could do it to with comics books (that you don't know alot about). You can not with this crowd (or any crowd with your website), If I were you I would quietly back away and do some heavy research into Dogecoin which has shown moderate (by altcoin standards) success based on community and usage.

I see that you have answered questions, so why not answer this one:

Tell us a little bit about yourself

How old are you?

How long have you been collecting comic books?

How long have you had experience with altcoins?

What is your educational/employment background?

Italic is my add

There will be a market for the coins, separate from the comic books.

So what are they worth? You say the coins and the comics are separate, but the coins are backed by the books? If someone in China buys out half of your coins and wants to cash out on day 2, what does he get? Do you sell the book and have 0 books left? Or do you pay him half of the CPG value of your book? What if you buy a book I really want, can I buy enough coins to cash in on this book and do an even trade? Do those coins stay in the market after you sell a book and lose value, or do you buyback coins and keep the currency even?

And who really owns the books? You? TonicComics? Thomas Neely? Does everyone with the coins "own" the book?

Can I use these on Amazon? eBay? Silkroad? Where can I spend these? If they can't be spent, should we just call them stocks like someone earlier stated?

You keep going back to why we should care about crypto-currency, but this is a comic book forum. People here just want to know what comics, are they pressed, and can you flip them better than they can when the time comes.

Your last point is very important and I would like to address that first, if I may. Yes, this is a comic book forum and I don't know why CBC has gotten such a reaction. Tonic's Comics just made a mention that they were carrying the books for display, and people started to be a bit...well, active.

As you can see, I am not a regular on this forum, but I just popped in to defend him as all he did was make a mention of something occurring at his shop. He does not own CBC and has no say in its direction. He is going to display the comic books.

I truly didn't mean to start a commotion, and though I have not spoken to him about this forum yet (as I have been busy), I am sure he didn't either. You are completely correct in saying that many will truly not care about this topic in the least bit. If it is in the wrong section of your forum, then by all means move it to where this sort of topic should be. I apologize if this has caused angst among some of you guys who are regulars.

Now, as to your first part, that is not really how it works. If someone from China, to use your example, buys half of the coins, then he is entitled to half of whatever the market values CBC at at the time. The reason I can't answer your question regarding what are the coins worth, is that no one knows the answer to that yet. It is not trading until tomorrow. After that, it will be up to the buyers and sellers to determine the value.

As to what you can exchange them for, that is pretty much anything you want. Ripple is convertible into every currency in the world (or close to it). However, many people tend to just buy other cryptos or keep them "stored" in Ripple's currency (XRP) or BTC (Bitcoin).

I hope I answered everything there -- thanks!