• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Coin is Coming!

424 posts in this topic

Well, it would be tough to follow all of those comments!

Besides, I like the coin -- but then I would as I am helping to bring it out.

I didn't expect it to be everyone's idea of fun! :D But thanks for checking it out!

Honestly though, if I am going to spend money on comic books, I am going to own and enjoy them. Why would I invest in a share of someone else's collection?

Well, I guess you wouldn't. But some people would. There are many crypto fans out there (although not many here, from what I can tell! :D) who want something different.

This is an asset-based coin that invests its money (in this case XRP) into a collection of comics. One's share is based on the number of coins they own. There is nothing nefarious or mysterious about it.

He just mentioned it and that the comics will be displayed in his store, that's all. I truly hope some of you find it interesting, but if not, I understand.

Who's buying the comics??? You list on your website that ComicsPriceGuide values an Avengers #7 at $480. Hopefully you didn't pay that, or else you might have got took. Last real world sale was $281 and the average for the last year was $350. How do we know you (coiners) are spending our (coinees) money wisely??? If you are using ComicsPriceGuide prices as some sort of basis point we are not off to a good start already.

Jim

Jim

Solid gold ^^

Who's buying the comics??? You list on your website that ComicsPriceGuide values an Avengers #7 at $480. Hopefully you didn't pay that, or else you might have got took. Last real world sale was $281 and the average for the last year was $350. How do we know you (coiners) are spending our (coinees) money wisely??? If you are using ComicsPriceGuide prices as some sort of basis point we are not off to a good start already.

Jim

Jim

Actually the last real world sale was $410 for one grade below the one we own just a couple of weeks ago on EBay. We have confidence in Comics Price Guide, but they do lag sometimes in particular hot and cold books. But, that is not the reason we chose them.

We want the average person to be able to follow along. Comics Price Guide is open to all and is free. Yes, they do underprice and overprice some issues, but overall, they are excellent.

Now, I completely understand that you guys want GPA or Overstreet or any other edge to make your judgments. But, those cost money. The coin is meant to appeal to everyone, not just hard-core collectors. I think that serious collectors will find this fun too, particularly if they follow the crypto world as well.

But, we want the casual collector or even people who just like the movies but are interested in comics to have fun too. As stated on the website, if we feel that the Comics Price Guide is just way off the mark on a particular comic book, we will change the value to reflect that.

As a 9.6 Avengers Annual #7 just traded recently for $410, we just don't think that Comics Price Guide's value for a 9.8 is that far off. And, of course, auctions and other sales can fluctuate wildly as you guys know. But, we will be on the lookout for any big disparities. Plus, I am sure people will tell us loud and clear! :grin:

Jim

Jim

Actually the last real world sale was $410 for one grade below the one we own just a couple of weeks ago on EBay. We have confidence in Comics Price Guide, but they do lag sometimes in particular hot and cold books. But, that is not the reason we chose them.

We want the average person to be able to follow along. Comics Price Guide is open to all and is free. Yes, they do underprice and overprice some issues, but overall, they are excellent.

Now, I completely understand that you guys want GPA or Overstreet or any other edge to make your judgments. But, those cost money. The coin is meant to appeal to everyone, not just hard-core collectors. I think that serious collectors will find this fun too, particularly if they follow the crypto world as well.

But, we want the casual collector or even people who just like the movies but are interested in comics to have fun too. As stated on the website, if we feel that the Comics Price Guide is just way off the mark on a particular comic book, we will change the value to reflect that.

As a 9.6 Avengers Annual #7 just traded recently for $410, we just don't think that Comics Price Guide's value for a 9.8 is that far off. And, of course, auctions and other sales can fluctuate wildly as you guys know. But, we will be on the lookout for any big disparities. Plus, I am sure people will tell us loud and clear! :grin:

You're going to start the rollout with that comic? Seriously, you need to rethink your business plan if that's the best you can do. Even if I bought into the idea, that first comic would kill it for me. You'll not get much by showing how "small" the venture is. If I started something like this, I would start with a major key; if nothing else, to show you're serious.

Jim

Jim

um,,,,,,,,

may want to revisit that whole CPG pricing scheme -

there was a 9.6 that sold for around 400 recently - was a SIGNATURE SERIES

last CERTIFIED 9.8 sold for 281 (CPG = 460)

last CERTIFIED 9.6 sold for 150 (CPG = 360)

(note - CGC certs only)

If you are going for the "average" person that has no math skills and no clue how to search ebay..... well then it might work -

um,,,,,,,,

(note - CGC certs only)

If you are going for the "average" person that has no math skills and no clue how to search ebay..... well then it might work -

You are right -- my apologies. With the coin only a couple of days away from its debut, I have been very busy on many forums, Twitter, emails etc.I didn't take enough time when checking. No excuse though, I was wrong.

As you know, I am not a regular here and I really just came in to defend Tonic's Comics. They are carrying the comics and he mentioned it. I am not sure if he knew it was going to generate 5 pages of...interesting comments. :D (I haven't spoken to him about it yet).

Yeah, it could be it is a bit overpriced on the guide, but it happens. Two data points aren't enough. I know that I was looking at another Bronze age the other day (I think it may have been Batman #251, but I am not sure) where the guide said one price and all of the actual sales prices were way, way above that number. So, no it is not perfect.

As I said, we are open to using other metrics if the prices are too far out of whack. We'll take a look as the collection grows. For now, its just one medium priced comic book, but we'll take a look.

Thanks.

Edited by JTBGOOD

As stated on the website, if we feel that the Comics Price Guide is just way off the mark on a particular comic book, we will change the value to reflect that.

So they can change the value to whatever they want it to be.

What could possibly go wrong?

I am not sure what you mean. The comic books will all be listed (and displayed publically at Tonic's Comics). Anyone can value them with any method they want to. For the purposes of the website, we will be using the free service of Comics Price Guide, but you can use GPA or anything you want. And maybe we will switch over to something like GPA at some point too if Comics Price Guide proves insufficient.

Edited by JTBGOOD

As stated on the website, if we feel that the Comics Price Guide is just way off the mark on a particular comic book, we will change the value to reflect that.

So they can change the value to whatever they want it to be.

What could possibly go wrong?

I am not sure what you mean. The comic books will all be listed (and displayed publically at Tonic's Comics). Anyone can value them with any method they want to. For the purposes of the website, we will be using the free service of Comics Price Guide, but you can use GPA or anything you want. And maybe we will switch over to something like GPA at some point too if Comics Price Guide proves insufficient.

You have to understand that I didn't bother to read the website, or even click on the link.

:acclaim:

um,,,,,,,,

(note - CGC certs only)

You are right -- my apologies. With the coin only a couple of days away from its debut, I have been very busy on many forums, Twitter, emails etc.I didn't take enough time when checking. No excuse though, I was wrong.

As you know, I am not a regular here and I really just came in to defend Tonic's Comics. They are carrying the comics and he mentioned it. I am not sure if he knew it was going to generate 5 pages of...interesting comments. :D (I haven't spoken to him about it yet).

Yeah, it could be it is a bit overpriced on the guide, but it happens. Two data points aren't enough. I know that I was looking at another Bronze age the other day (I think it may have been Batman #251, but I am not sure) where the guide said one price and all of the actual sales prices were way, way above that number. So, no it is not perfect.

As I said, we are open to using other metrics if the prices are too far out of whack. We'll take a look as the collection grows. For now, its just one medium priced comic book, but we'll take a look.

Thanks.

Yep, you're right - 2 data points aren't enough. Perhaps it would be a good business strategy to create a website that keeps track of CGC'ed comic book sales and presents this sales data in an easy-to-read format hm

Image%202015-01-12%20at%205.10.58%20PM.png

um,,,,,,,,

(note - CGC certs only)

Thanks.

um - so 2 of the data sets were blown out of the water - and by your own admission you found error with a third..............

You might want to NOT use a site that is notoriously incorrect with respect to CGC graded slabs.

Yep, you're right - 2 data points aren't enough. Perhaps it would be a good business strategy to create a website that keeps track of CGC'ed comic book sales and presents this sales data in an easy-to-read format hm

Image%202015-01-12%20at%205.10.58%20PM.png

Yeah, you have a point. But even in your example, there is less than one comic book sold per month for the entire year. Prices can be very wild and that one "bad" auction can throw the averages way down with such low numbers.

Still, as I said we may switch over to GPA if the disparity is as large as many of you seem to feel. For now, it is hardly important. The coin isn't even out yet, so that one comic book's value is irrelevant at the moment.

Comics Price Guide is free and allows everyone to follow along. That does not prevent you or anyone else from using GPA to value them. Or even to value them using a super-secret formula unknown to nearly all of mankind. :D

The comics will be listed as acquired and anyone can very easily use any method they want for their evaluation of the collection and the coin price itself.

Edited by JTBGOOD

I think the main point you are missing here is the fact that you guys have put way too much time and effort into something that almost nobody on planet Earf (sic) is going to buy into.

If this is a serious proposition in buying CGC graded books, really the $10 monthly GPA subscription fee is an obstacle?

This is just so flawed in every aspect.

Jim