• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's see your 3 most expensive comics.

475 posts in this topic

Hard to follow that but…

5hyPpMbl.jpg

Wow! That is a beautiful looking 0.5!

I must say it presents very well! (thumbs u

Thanks!

I'm very happy with it, I paid more than GPA for it but I believe most of the .5s look like they went through a snowstorm!

My 3 most "expensive" books are: Amazing Fantasy #15, Hulk #1 and TMNT #1.

Amazing%20Fantasy%2015%20CGC%201.8%20MINE%20smaller_zpsgwzskisy.jpg

Hulk1CGC15_zps4de7660e.jpg

TMNT%201%20CGC%207.5_zpszz73oxfn.jpg

3 books that fit that "favorite" category I never plan to sell would be: Thorn: Tales from the Lantern, Thor #385 CGC 9.8 SS Stan Lee, and Robert Atkins Firefly commission on a G.I. Joe blank sketch cover. (thumbs u

Thorn: Tales from the Lantern

The independent comic "Bone" by Jeff Smith has always been a favorite of mine. I enjoyed it as an adult, and enjoyed reading it to my kids as well. I highly recommend it!!

I know many of you have never heard of this book, so here is some info. "Thorn: Tales from the Lantern" was published about 8 years before Bone #1. Jeff Smith used the characters in a newspaper strip called "Thorn" in his college newspaper "The Lantern" at Ohio State University. This book was a collection of some of those strips and was sold on campus.

Since this was years before Bone was ever a comic, and was sold to college kids instead of collectors, not many have survived. In fact, they are hard to find and down right scarce in high grade.

This is the nicest copy I've ever seen. Definitely a Grail purchase for me. (thumbs u

IMG_50041_zpsbeb1f769.jpg

Thor 385 CGC 9.8 SS Stan Lee

Great issue written by Stan Lee.

I loved this comic as a kid and easily read it 1,000 times. Best HULK vs. THOR fight in comics. They beat the hell out of each other. Almost the entire comic is a fight between them.

The story also has a lesson about how pride can cause us to do the wrong thing in life. Hulk kicks the out of Thor, and Thor keeps coming back for more because he has too much pride to give up or surrender. In the end Hulk is the one who stops fighting claiming victory, and Thor is forced to look at all the destruction and death around him they caused because he kept fighting. If he would have simply said, yeah Hulk you're stronger it would have been avoided. The title of the story was "Be Thou God or Monster!" referring to Thor's revelation at the end.

One of the few issues written by Stan Lee in the 80's, this book is incredibly tough to find in CGC 9.8. I looked for YEARS. Not weeks or months, YEARS trying to find a raw copy to submit. Found a candidate last year, and got it SS by Stan Lee.

Thor385CGC98SSCopy_zps90ceffe9.jpg

Robert Atkins Commission on G.I. Joe blank cover

This one doesn't need an explanation. That's not a black & white variant, that's a sketch cover. A sketch cover that's as good if not better than any other Joe published cover.

GIJoe196CGCRobertAtkinsFireflysmaller_zps33dc7c83.jpg

Man, you've got some beautiful books considering the grades. That Hulk looks awesome and the colors on that AF are crazy!

I feel very inadequate. Don't even want to post my top 3 as by the looks of it, the're most likely rags to you big shots. I dont have pics right now but i guess mine are:

ASM 121 9.0

New Mutants 9.6

Batman 181 7.0

i think thats it, unless the Batman Adventures 12 (9.2) are still rising and if Ms Marvel #1 (9.2) is still a hot book, then ma

I feel very inadequate. Don't even want to post my top 3 as by the looks of it, the're most likely rags to you big shots. I dont have pics right now but i guess mine are:

ASM 121 9.0

New Mutants 9.6

Batman 181 7.0

i think thats it, unless the Batman Adventures 12 (9.2) are still rising and if Ms Marvel #1 (9.2) is still a hot book, then ma

Those sound like excellent books!

On a board like this, anything short full runs of 9.8s can sometimes make one feel inadequate - but you collect for YOU.

I am often astounded at the CGC registry/points sets of some folks - it's like looking at a museum of astonishing art! I'm no Rembrandt or Da Vinci, but I do appreciate looking at great art - and great collections even though nothing I have can compare. :cool:

At least that's the way I look at it. :grin:

My books are pretty cheap by comparison. So I don't feel guilty or worried by showing them.

daredevil_1_front.jpg

Batman_227_front.JPG

The last one is DD 168 cgc 9.8 wp which I don't have a picture of. Other then that. I don't think I've paid any amount greater the price of any one of these three.

ASM 121 9.0

New Mutants 9.6

Batman 181 7.0

On a board like this, anything short full runs of 9.8s can sometimes make one feel inadequate - but you collect for YOU.

I am often astounded at the CGC registry/points sets of some folks - it's like looking at a museum of astonishing art! I'm no Rembrandt or Da Vinci, but I do appreciate looking at great art - and great collections even though nothing I have can compare. :cool:

There always people with more expensive books! Expense is one thing, but far more important is what they mean to you; 50$ can be a big amount to spend on a book for some people, clearly there are people happy to drop 1 million for a book (wish I could!) ...so its always fun to see the 'big books' other people have but don't ever let that make you think yours are inadequate! Post em if you have pics, would like to see the 181.

There always people with more expensive books! Expense is one thing, but far more important is what they mean to you; 50$ can be a big amount to spend on a book for some people, clearly there are people happy to drop 1 million for a book (wish I could!) ...so its always fun to see the 'big books' other people have but don't ever let that make you think yours are inadequate!

(thumbs u

ASM 121 9.0

New Mutants 9.6

Batman 181 7.0

There always people with more expensive books! Expense is one thing, but far more important is what they mean to you; 50$ can be a big amount to spend on a book for some people, clearly there are people happy to drop 1 million for a book (wish I could!) ...so its always fun to see the 'big books' other people have but don't ever let that make you think yours are inadequate! Post em if you have pics, would like to see the 181.

Thanks for the kind words gents!

I should be able to get some pics up tonight. I've been dying to get some Planet Comics and yellow suit DD's. Can't explain it but I like his Yellow suit better than the Red one :shrug:

I wish I could say there's a method to my madness but there really isnt, I buy what I like and more importantly what I can afford.