• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first official Jason Mamoa Aquaman photo

54 posts in this topic

I like my Aquaman like the 1970's Superfreinds aquaman .......unite the seven is awesome tagline though! (seas and JL members----so cool!)
+1. I understand today's audiences want darker vibes in their heroes, and that this is based on source material from Aquaman's long hair hook hand days, but even the most casual of viewers who have had even the slightest brush with Aquaman know him as a blonde, orange tunic, green gloved, fin legged sea dweller. This is so unrecognizable from the iconic Arthur (and that's two now, Xena, er oops, Wonder Woman being the other), and i feel it makes DC appear to be unconfident about their own brand.

Even the tweeks to Cap's( 'spy suit?) costume in Captain America 2 is still recognizable to years of published images as Captain America, as are all the Avengers in the film except Hawkeye, lol.

Maybe i'm just an older fan uncomfortable with drastic change, but DC should stand behind their standard bearer characters and not stray so much from the source. Batman is dark enough for the team thank you very much. Makes me shudder to think how Captain Marvel(Shazam) is going to look. And BTW, The trunkless Superman,( i don't care how dorky it maybe to some people with them on the costume), is just awful. No matter how he's drawn, it just looks like an elseworlds adaption to me. Something seems 'missing', and that's because it is.

Remember, this is just my 2c

He looks like a gladiator. But, it works very well.

Do you think there's going to be some creative license taken with Aquaman's personality? It sure seems that with this new look they will try to give him some "attitude" along the lines of Sub-Mariner's persona?

Finally! Now DC has a dark, brooding, gritty Aquaman to team up with their dark, brooding, gritty Batman and their dark, brooding, gritty Superman. I can't wait to see how all their different personalities lead to great conflicts in the movies!

:grin:

Reminds me of when DC had a bearded Aquaman with the hook for the arm in the early 90's I believe.

Someone has to ask, so what was his first appearance in comics with the beard in the 90s?

:whistle:

What about the first ad with a bearded & hook-handed Aquaman?

:D

-slym

He looks like a gladiator. But, it works very well.

Do you think there's going to be some creative license taken with Aquaman's personality? It sure seems that with this new look they will try to give him some "attitude" along the lines of Sub-Mariner's persona?

Namor has often been extremely arrogant, and I hope they don't go that far.

i love it because it's also a homeage to the island tribs that pray to their sea gods. these came from CB site about the Tattoos and Armor Design

Over at Screen Rant, they've got a look at the historical and cultural significance of the tattoos and the "scales' on his armor designs.

The basics?

Those tattoos on his hands likely are the mouths of Tiki gods, indicating Arthur's role as a provider for his people.

The shoulders -- both his tattoos and the armor design, feature stylized spearhead imagery common to Polynesian culture. Elsewhere on his torso and wrists, there's similar recurring shark's teeth imagery. In both cases, it ties to previous remarks by the actor that they hoped to make Aquaman an embodiment of island culture.