• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

I fixed it. Now, can you support your statement to this debate as to rebut Mark1's claim?

Yes.

Or do you just want to disagree with him? Because we all haven't heard your opinion/facts in this case.

Not how debate works.

:)

Yes?? That's your come back? :facepalm: Where's your input? We all got your knowledge of bullying, but yet you can't provide any input and still you continue to post in this gsxm1 investment thread.

any more discussions about investment books are we still ranting about bullying? zzz

:popcorn:

Why are you posting popcorn? There's still a few of us who are awaiting your input and rebuttal to Mark1's post. Why are you beating around a bush. And don't say that's not how debate works. You replied to Mark1's post with simple short answers, with no input of your own. That's not how a debate works.

That's because RMA doesn't have a rebuttal.

Oh, I certainly do. You'll see it below.

Keys that I mentioned have been climbing (sometimes very slowly) over the past decades. Outside of the nose bleed grades (9.8-9.4) these books are steady climbers and are blue chips.

You've just changed the parameters of your argument.

Let me refresh:

But, Silver Age keys have always climbed in price.

...which is not correct.

I don't think GSXM 1 is a blue chip book.

JIM 83

TOS 39

AF 15

Hulk 1

These are blue chip keys that you can make money on if you hold it for a period of time. If RMA says that's not the case he will be wrong.

This statement is neither true, nor untrue, because it concerns the future, which is unknown.

You also give absolutely no parameters to qualify your claim about the future. For example: does it matter what condition the book(s) is/are in? How long a period of time must one hold said book(s)? What about restored copies? Qualified copies? Does it matter how much you pay, or is any price paid going to guarantee you will "make money"?

The lack of any qualifying parameters makes the claim far too broad to come to any conclusion.

I will back up this statement with data as I have in my previous posts.

You've posted data? I am unaware of any. Would you please point me in the direction of that/those post(s)? Time and date of post(s) would be fine. Thanks!

The popularity of GS X-Men 1 is solid and higher than most of the Silver keys besides perhaps Amazing Fantasy 15, but the supply is just through the roof. While the Silver Age keys have multiplied in value since CGC started, Giant-Size X-Men #1 has increased at a rate that keeps up with inflation and not much more. That's mostly because it's just not hard to find a copy in any grade up to and including 9.8.

If Giant-Size X-Men #1 were available in the same supply as Amazing Fantasy 15, I suspect we would have seen similar multiplying of value for it like we have for the Silver keys. But due to high population, it just hasn't seen anywhere close to the same rate of increase.

The popularity of GS X-Men 1 is solid and higher than most of the Silver keys besides perhaps Amazing Fantasy 15, but the supply is just through the roof. While the Silver Age keys have multiplied in value since CGC started, Giant-Size X-Men #1 has increased at a rate that keeps up with inflation and not much more. That's mostly because it's just not hard to find a copy in any grade up to and including 9.8.

If Giant-Size X-Men #1 were available in the same supply as Amazing Fantasy 15, I suspect we would have seen similar multiplying of value for it like we have for the Silver keys. But due to high population, it just hasn't seen anywhere close to the same rate of increase.

Good points.

I like to add AF # 15 is more a universal appealing comic book than GS X-Men 1.An example is everybody and his mother knows Amazing Fantasy 15,while GS X-Men 1 is a generational key.To the fans of the 70s and 80s we will find GS X-Men 1 is a king, but ask some modern collector, and we will find that it`s not that big a deal anymore. Ask that modern collector about AF # 15 and it will be a big deal.

Some could compare GS X-Men 1 to GI JOE #1.

GS X-Men 1 = Generation key book of 70s.

GI JOE #1 = Generation key book of 80s.

Similar argument.

AF # 15 = Universal key book for all generations.

Incredible Hulk #181 = Universal key book for all generations.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Similar argument.

I'd put GS X-Men 1 in that second group. Certainly the demand for it greatly eclipses GI Joe. The height of popularity in all of comics is Spider-Man first, X-Men second, and the height of X-Men's popularity began with GS X-Men 1. It'd be worth about the same and possibly more than the 1963 X-Men #1 if they were both available in equivalent supply.

It's worth noting that Hulk 181 has proven to be a similarly anemic investment for the exact same reason GS X-Men 1 is--the supply is just too huge. Current CGC Census populations are 5130 graded copies of GSX1 and 7248 copies of Hulk 181. Huge compared to 3008 for 1963 X-Men 1 and 2284 for AF15. The high grade 8.0 and up populations are particularly skewed--111 copies of AF15, 226 copies of XMen 1, 2517 copies of GSX1, and 3252 copies of Hulk 181.

Similar argument.

I'd put GS X-Men 1 in that second group. Certainly the demand for it greatly eclipses GI Joe. The height of popularity in all of comics is Spider-Man first, X-Men second, and the height of X-Men's popularity began with GS X-Men 1. It'd be worth about the same and possibly more than the 1963 X-Men #1 if they were both available in equivalent supply.

It's worth noting that Hulk 181 has proven to be a similarly anemic investment for the exact same reason GS X-Men 1 is--the supply is just too huge. Current CGC Census populations are 5130 graded copies of GSX1 and 7248 copies of Hulk 181. Huge compared to 3008 for 1963 X-Men 1 and 2284 for AF15. The high grade 8.0 and up populations are particularly skewed--111 copies of AF15, 226 copies of XMen 1, 2517 copies of GSX1, and 3252 copies of Hulk 181.

One of my criteria for a universal book is it has to be one of the top one or two comic books of that decade.

AF#15 is a no-brainer for top comic book of the 1960s,while some good argue

that GSX1 doesn`t even make the top two comics of the 1970s with Hulk #181 and Star Wars #1 being more sought after than GSX1.

See? With AF#15 there is no argument of dominance of importance like there is with GSX1.

Good points.

I like to add AF # 15 is more a universal appealing comic book than GS X-Men 1.An example is everybody and his mother knows Amazing Fantasy 15,while GS X-Men 1 is a generational key.To the fans of the 70s and 80s we will find GS X-Men 1 is a king, but ask some modern collector, and we will find that it`s not that big a deal anymore. Ask that modern collector about AF # 15 and it will be a big deal.

Similar argument.

GI Joe 1 is not the top key book from the 80s. Not sure it would even crack the top 10.

Good points.

Similar argument.

GI Joe 1 is not the top key book from the 80s. Not sure it would even crack the top 10.

The franchise though is huge, and it will be always sought out.

I would though put Transformers #1 above it.

Star Wars #1 being more sought after than GSX1.

What makes you say that? Can't imagine it's the case. If you mean the variant issue, that's not popularity, that's an example of extreme rarity creating huge demand for a tiny handful of people.

What makes you say that? Can't imagine it's the case. If you mean the variant issue, that's not popularity, that's an example of extreme rarity creating huge demand for a tiny handful of people.

Check out this thread in the Bronze Age forum.

Star Wars #1 has exploded in value, since the new movie was announced.

Star Wars #1

Star War #1 is more sought after because it is collected outside of comic collectors. You have Star Wars collectors that don't collect any other comics.

Star Wars #1 will and should get a pop into the new set of movies. I believe it was RMA who predicted that originally roughly 7 or 8 months ago. Still has a ways to go to catch GSX #1 in terms of demand and value though. Recently you could get a decent $.30 SW 1 for $50. GSX 1 in 6.0 or better hasn't been that cheap since the 80's.

Star War #1 is more sought after because it is collected outside of comic collectors. You have Star Wars collectors that don't collect any other comics.

Which proves my point that Star Wars #1 has more universal appeal than GSX1. :acclaim:

GSX1 is a top generational appeal book in that young people/collectors of the 70s and 80s put much more emphasis on it`s importance,than people who grew up in the 60s,90 and now do.

With AF#15 and Star Wars #1 we will find that they transcend all generations and have much more universal appeal than GSX1.

I fixed it. Now, can you support your statement to this debate as to rebut Mark1's claim?

Yes.

Or do you just want to disagree with him? Because we all haven't heard your opinion/facts in this case.

Not how debate works.

Yes?? That's your come back? :facepalm: Where's your input? We all got your knowledge of bullying, but yet you can't provide any input and still you continue to post in this gsxm1 investment thread.

any more discussions about investment books are we still ranting about bullying? zzz

Why are you posting popcorn? There's still a few of us who are awaiting your input and rebuttal to Mark1's post. Why are you beating around a bush. And don't say that's not how debate works. You replied to Mark1's post with simple short answers, with no input of your own. That's not how a debate works.

Keys that I mentioned have been climbing (sometimes very slowly) over the past decades. Outside of the nose bleed grades (9.8-9.4) these books are steady climbers and are blue chips.

Let me refresh:

...which is not correct.

JIM 83

TOS 39

AF 15

Hulk 1

These are blue chip keys that you can make money on if you hold it for a period of time. If RMA says that's not the case he will be wrong.

This statement is neither true, nor untrue, because it concerns the future, which is unknown.

You also give absolutely no parameters to qualify your claim about the future. For example: does it matter what condition the book(s) is/are in? How long a period of time must one hold said book(s)? What about restored copies? Qualified copies? Does it matter how much you pay, or is any price paid going to guarantee you will "make money"?

The lack of any qualifying parameters makes the claim far too broad to come to any conclusion.

You've posted data? I am unaware of any. Would you please point me in the direction of that/those post(s)? Time and date of post(s) would be fine. Thanks!

Go back and look for the data I posted and my parameters that you seemed to have conveniently overlooked.

We aren't talking restored and we aren't talking nose bleed grades like 9.4-9.8. I've stated this before.

Also your point about what someone pays is ridiculous. And clearly a point just to have a debate but you know what we are talking about is buying a SA key at the going price for a given grade (such a GPA) and then holding it for a period of time.

In some case it can be a year like Hulk 1 and your money could have doubled.

In most cases it's the rule of 5. Hold the comic for 5 years and you will be guaranteed to make a nice profit.

You just want to be a contrarian. I liked you a lot better when you just posted icons.

(thumbs u

Which proves my point that Star Wars #1 has more universal appeal than GSX1. :acclaim:

GSX1 is a top generational appeal book in that young people/collectors of the 70s and 80s put much more emphasis on it`s importance,than people who grew up in the 60s,90 and now do.

With AF#15 and Star Wars #1 we will find that they transcend all generations and have much more universal appeal than GSX1.

*Ahem* With all due respect, star wars 1 is nowhere near the same league as gsxm 1 and should not even be spoken in the same breath as AF 15. I suspect by the tone of your post you're being a bit cheeky on purpose ?

Star wars 1 is the epitome of mass produced "collector's item" fodder and is really only significant perhaps for being the original "movie hype book". My 2 cents.

-J.

Star Wars #1 will and should get a pop into the new set of movies. I believe it was RMA who predicted that originally roughly 7 or 8 months ago. Still has a ways to go to catch GSX #1 in terms of demand and value though. Recently you could get a decent $.30 SW 1 for $50. GSX 1 in 6.0 or better hasn't been that cheap since the 80's.

Star Wars #1 is/was the perfect kind of comic/collectible to look for.

It was long dormant and now it has been awakened by new interest.

The best kind of comics/collectibles that have a chance to make profit are something that was once hugely popular with fans, than their fanbase has a lost of interest, than a revival.

Something that was once popular with a good number of fans, usually has at least one good revival left in them.

Star Wars has cycled more than twice now.

Hot in 70s,

Dead in mid-90s.

Hot again with the second set of Star Wars movies.

Dead again by 2007.

Hot again because of new movies.

It`s like playing the stock market in away,

Buy when it's low, sell when interest is high again.

*Ahem* With all due respect, star wars 1 is nowhere near the same league as gsxm 1 and should not even be spoken in the same breath as AF 15. I suspect by the tone of your post you're being a bit cheeky on purpose ?

Star wars 1 is the epitome of mass produced "collector's item" fodder and is really only significant perhaps for being the original "movie hype book". My 2 cents.

-J.

Coins are mass produced items that dwarf Star Wars print runs by millions!

Coins are made in the millions, yet people still pay a premium for them to be graded which leads to a profit when sold. :o

Most people always like to point out the supply factor, but forget how important the demand factor is.

Star Wars has that demand.

It will probably fade, but people are making a profit off them now much more than GSX1.

Actually when was GSX1 red hot like Star Wars #1 is now?

hm

Yes.

Not how debate works.

Let me refresh:

...which is not correct.

JIM 83

TOS 39

AF 15

Hulk 1

Go back and look for the data I posted and my parameters that you seemed to have conveniently overlooked.

We aren't talking restored and we aren't talking nose bleed grades like 9.4-9.8. I've stated this before.

Also your point about what someone pays is ridiculous. And clearly a point just to have a debate but you know what we are talking about is buying a SA key at the going price for a given grade (such a GPA) and then holding it for a period of time.

In some case it can be a year like Hulk 1 and your money could have doubled.

In most cases it's the rule of 5. Hold the comic for 5 years and you will be guaranteed to make a nice profit.

You just want to be a contrarian. I liked you a lot better when you just posted icons.

(thumbs u

Thank you Mark I couldn't have said it better myself. Rma all you're doing is defining posts. You have yet to post any data where a sa/ba key comic has declined in value since let's say the 80's as mark has stated from ospg. Let's just concentrate on blue label mid grade books, cause that's what's being debated. Here is a list for you to provide declining prices since 1980-2015

Af15 5.0 blue

Tos39 5.0 blue

Jim 83 5.0 blue

Hulk 181 5.0 blue

Gsxm 1 we'll say 7.0ish for this one blue label