• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

Markets are determined by supply and demand--can't consider one but not the other. I've never had much doubt about the demand for Star Wars #1--I wanted that book long before I ever wanted any X-Men book--it's just the HUGE supply that makes it a questionable choice from a market perspective. There's just too many of them out there...hard to see the value outlasting movie hype. And the longer the value continues at current levels, the more and more of the raw copies that will get slabbed.

Spectacular Spider-Man is in a similar boat. If not for the HUGE supply, that book would likely be worth 4x what it is. Marvel was cranking out #1s in this time period with huge print runs.

^This. But as a HUGE fan of star wars since childhood, I never knew this was a comic book until I started collecting comics. (I just wasn't into comics while I was a kid, my dad bought me one but didn't have that interest. I was more into action figures.) But recent "comic movies" have people wanting to buy up the books, and since SW was made into a comic book, it just makes sense that the price would increase. But it's not a movie that was based off a comic. That book since I can remember was relatively available at a reasonable price. Where as GSXM1 has so many first apps, of some sweet major characters. I just feel that GSXM1 has way more growth than SW1. 2c

With an X-Men movie coming out next year I would not sell the GSX 1 short just yet. I love the X-Men, but some of the movies, even DOFP, have really let me down. X-Factor 24 & 25 were two of my favorite books growing up. I'm hoping this next flick is the ultimate payoff. I just hope I don't walk away feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick field goals with Lucy.

We're likely to be past any one movie affecting GSX1 at this point. If the dial on the book hasn't budged much after 15 years of movies, one more isn't likely to do much more to it.

From a value appreciation standpoint, GSX1 and SW1 have something in common--neither is likely to yield much return except MAYBE SW1 over the short term between now and the end of the year when the movie comes out. Lots of better choices on books with similar demand but FAR less supply for anything other than a quick SW1 flip.

Long term, GSXM 1 will bring in a lot more value than SW 1. The other thing to take into consideration is that Nightcrawler will be in the next X-Men film. Who knows what that will do to the value of GSXM 1. After all, didn't X-Men 4 shoot up a bit after everyone saw how cool Quicksilver was in DOFP?

With an X-Men movie coming out next year I would not sell the GSX 1 short just yet. I love the X-Men, but some of the movies, even DOFP, have really let me down. X-Factor 24 & 25 were two of my favorite books growing up. I'm hoping this next flick is the ultimate payoff. I just hope I don't walk away feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick field goals with Lucy.

We're likely to be past any one movie affecting GSX1 at this point. If the dial on the book hasn't budged much after 15 years of movies, one more isn't likely to do much more to it.

From a value appreciation standpoint, GSX1 and SW1 have something in common--neither is likely to yield much return except MAYBE SW1 over the short term between now and the end of the year when the movie comes out. Lots of better choices on books with similar demand but FAR less supply for anything other than a quick SW1 flip.

Long term, GSXM 1 will bring in a lot more value than SW 1. The other thing to take into consideration is that Nightcrawler will be in the next X-Men film. Who knows what that will do to the value of GSXM 1. After all, didn't X-Men 4 shoot up a bit after everyone saw how cool Quicksilver was in DOFP?

I don't think that last sentence needed a question mark. It's a fact and requires a period. lol

Are people arguing over SW #1 vs GSX #1?

:facepalm:

I don't see that as being as silly as it sounds. There will be a lot of SW collectors who aren't even comic collectors wanting SW 1, whereas I cant see non collectors who are fans of the X-Men movies clamoring for GSX 1. SW is a rising star (pun intended). I wouldn't disregard it so lightly.

It`s that generation that grew up with GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 that has this attitude. They can`t fathom that GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 have lost some importance with the current crowd. :o

That won`t ever admit that Star Wars #1 is a player. To them they`ll always be considered toy/movie comic book tie in, when in fact we know Star Wars #1 has a better future going forward than GSX #1.

At least they will acknowledge Star Wars #1. Good luck with them ever saying anything positive about GI JOE #1 or Transformers #1. :gossip: Toy tie ins.

:fear:

I really don't think SW 1 has a better future going for it, especially long term. Right now It looks that way, but GSX 1 has been an incredibly solid book for such a long time that it's not even fair to compare the two. The way SW 1 has shot up in price recently just reeks of long term instability.

I'll also add that I do think SW 1 is a player. It's just not in the same league as GSX 1.

Why, just because all these hardcore Star Wars fans who don't care about comics have had 38 years to pick up relatively cheap copies? Or just because SW1 is following the same pattern as all the other movie related books being jumped on by the legion of insufficiently_thoughtful_person speculators? Or... oh...

The other thing to take into consideration is that Nightcrawler will be in the next X-Men film. Who knows what that will do to the value of GSXM 1.

Nightcrawler was in X-Men United and it didn't affect the value of GSXM1, so I dunno why even another cool Nightcrawler appearance would affect it now. And that opening sequence with him bamf'ing all over the White House was one of the coolest sequences in ANY X-Men movie. His design in that film was great too with those angelic symbols all over his skin, that marked him as more stylish than the comic version.

Nightcrawler.JPG

The other thing to take into consideration is that Nightcrawler will be in the next X-Men film. Who knows what that will do to the value of GSXM 1.

Nightcrawler was in X-Men United and it didn't affect the value of GSXM1, so I dunno why even another cool Nightcrawler appearance would affect it now. And that opening sequence with him bamf'ing all over the White House was one of the coolest sequences in ANY X-Men movie. His design in that film was great too with those angelic symbols all over his skin, that marked him as more stylish than the comic version.

Nightcrawler.JPG

I was waiting for someone to come back with that point, especially since I was thinking the same thing while I was writing the post. lol

I don't remember what the value of GSX1 was before and after the release of X2, but now that I think about it, wasn't there some sort of a spike for that book when X2 did come out though? Do you have any info on that?

You also have to take into consideration that when X2 came out, superhero movies weren't what they are today, and so they didn't have the following that they do now. I'm just saying that it's possible that more people are paying attention to this stuff nowadays, so perhaps Nightcrawler will finally get the attention he deserves, and that may play a part in the value of GSX1. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my end.

Anyways, great post. I love that scene! :headbang:

I don't see that as being as silly as it sounds. There will be a lot of SW collectors who aren't even comic collectors wanting SW 1, whereas I cant see non collectors who are fans of the X-Men movies clamoring for GSX 1. SW is a rising star (pun intended). I wouldn't disregard it so lightly.

It`s that generation that grew up with GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 that has this attitude. They can`t fathom that GSX 1 and Uncanny X-Men 94 have lost some importance with the current crowd. :o

That won`t ever admit that Star Wars #1 is a player. To them they`ll always be considered toy/movie comic book tie in, when in fact we know Star Wars #1 has a better future going forward than GSX #1.

At least they will acknowledge Star Wars #1. Good luck with them ever saying anything positive about GI JOE #1 or Transformers #1. :gossip: Toy tie ins.

Nobody is talking about losing importance. If anyone lost importance, it wa SW and it has bounced back due to new movie buzz. Most of these movie books were more valuable as tinder than as collectibles just a few years ago.

You're basically arguing that Luke, Chewbacca, Hans, Leia and Darth have a better future than Wolverine and the rest.

Who ha had a better run than Wolverine alone? Not too many characters.

And even more importantly, you are completely missing the point that both the SW generation and the GSX #1 generation are the same generation. They came out 2 years apart. :makepoint:

Movie books are a flash in the pan. Comics will eventually fade slowly but those movie books will burn out quick.

Nobody is talking about losing importance. If anyone lost importance, it wa SW and it has bounced back due to new movie buzz. Most of these movie books were more valuable as tinder than as collectibles just a few years ago.

You're basically arguing that Luke, Chewbacca, Hans, Leia and Darth have a better future than Wolverine and the rest.

And even more importantly, you are completely missing the point that both the SW generation and the GSX #1 generation are the same generation. They came out 2 years apart. :makepoint:

Movie books are a flash in the pan. Comics will eventually fade slowly but those movie books will burn out quick.

How does that affect Star Wars #1 from being profitable now? hm

It`s hot, and it`s making money, just like the Guardians of The Galaxy keys did.

Why is that a bad thing?

What is wrong with making money on a hot movie book like Star Wars #1?

Seems like a better bet than holding onto a GSX#1 doing a slow burn that will get eaten up with inflation.

Your argument could have been made 15 to 20 years ago when comic book movies didn`t have an importance like they do now.

Let`s check back in a year to see if GSX 1 is hotter than Star Wars #1.

:)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

It`s hot, and it`s making money, just like the Guardians of The Galaxy keys did.

Why is that a bad thing?

Seems like a better bet than holding onto a GSX#1 doing a slow burn that will get eaten up with inflation.

Your argument could have been made 15 to 20 years ago when comic book movies didn`t have an importance like they do now.

I agree that increasing prices in comics is good for comics.

My hypothesis is that since that Star Wars did not originate in comics, the increases to SW 1 are likely not sustainable post movie launch. Versus X-men being primarily driven by comics themselves will do a better job holding value.

To your point, the amount of money or percentage increase depends on when you acquire the book, when you sell it and your point of comparison. There are a lot of factors in this not entirely addressed.

Still don't believe GSX 1 is great "investment book" though and SW 1 is primed for a buy/press and flip scenario right now - which is my personal opinion.

What the hell do those questions have to do with the discussion? Nobody is disputing that right now, Star Wars 1 is spiking.

Why is that a bad thing?

I agree that increasing prices in comics is good for comics.

My hypothesis is that since that Star Wars did not originate in comics, the increases to SW 1 are likely not sustainable post movie launch. Versus X-men being primarily driven by comics themselves will do a better job holding value.

To your point, the amount of money or percentage increase depends on when you acquire the book, when you sell it and your point of comparison. There are a lot of factors in this not entirely addressed.

Still don't believe GSX 1 is great "investment book" though and SW 1 is primed for a buy/press and flip scenario right now - which is my personal opinion.

I think SW 1 is already running out of gas in terms of price run up, and is already off about 25% from its (artificial) highs.

The comic movie market speculation madness has indeed changed (evolved, devolved, however you choose to see it) since X2 came out, and if night crawler has a substantive role in the next movie, there could indeed be a movie bump in the book. Not likely on the X Men 4 level, as that is a silver age book, and quicksilver and the scarlet witch now evidently being called "Inhumans" by marvel and "Mutants" by fox assure their presence in multiple movies. They both do have a lot of sweet first appearances though.

-J.

The comic movie market speculation madness has indeed changed (evolved, devolved, however you choose to see it) since X2 came out, and if night crawler has a substantive role in the next movie, there could indeed be a movie bump in the book. Not likely on the X Men 4 level, as that is a silver age book, and quicksilver and the scarlet witch now evidently being called "Inhumans" by marvel and "Mutants" by fox assure their presence in multiple movies. They both do have a lot of sweet first appearances though.

-J.

I agree that it is running out of steam. However, depending on when you bought (or if you can buy savvily now - or buy and press) there is still money to be made until the movie premieres. Releases of trailers in these cases tend to drive spikes in price prior to release and there are surely more of those to come.

(thumbs u

Go back and look for the data I posted and my parameters that you seemed to have conveniently overlooked.

Ok...time and date (so I can find them) of said posts would be great. Thanks!

We aren't talking restored and we aren't talking nose bleed grades like 9.4-9.8. I've stated this before.

Also your point about what someone pays is ridiculous. And clearly a point just to have a debate but you know what we are talking about is buying a SA key at the going price for a given grade (such a GPA) and then holding it for a period of time.

In some case it can be a year like Hulk 1 and your money could have doubled.

In most cases it's the rule of 5. Hold the comic for 5 years and you will be guaranteed to make a nice profit.

You just want to be a contrarian. I liked you a lot better when you just posted icons.

(thumbs u

You liked me a lot better when I didn't challenge your unqualified blanket statements.

:D

As for your "guarantee"...in the securities markets, it is illegal to guarantee a profit on certain investments. There's a reason for this. There are no guarantees; past performance never guarantees future results.

The real danger are people who say that such returns are always going to happen; there's no way for anyone to know that. Just because there have been positive returns doesn't mean there always be.

How does one determine what the "going price" is? If the 12 month average for a book is $10,000, but there are no cpoies on the market available for less than $13,000, what then? How does one figure out what the "going price" really is?

I fixed it. Now, can you support your statement to this debate as to rebut Mark1's claim?

Yes.

Or do you just want to disagree with him? Because we all haven't heard your opinion/facts in this case.

Not how debate works.

Yes?? That's your come back? :facepalm: Where's your input? We all got your knowledge of bullying, but yet you can't provide any input and still you continue to post in this gsxm1 investment thread.

any more discussions about investment books are we still ranting about bullying? zzz

:popcorn:

Why are you posting popcorn? There's still a few of us who are awaiting your input and rebuttal to Mark1's post. Why are you beating around a bush. And don't say that's not how debate works. You replied to Mark1's post with simple short answers, with no input of your own. That's not how a debate works.

That's because RMA doesn't have a rebuttal.

Oh, I certainly do. You'll see it below.

Keys that I mentioned have been climbing (sometimes very slowly) over the past decades. Outside of the nose bleed grades (9.8-9.4) these books are steady climbers and are blue chips.

You've just changed the parameters of your argument.

Let me refresh:

But, Silver Age keys have always climbed in price.

...which is not correct.

I don't think GSXM 1 is a blue chip book.

JIM 83

TOS 39

AF 15

Hulk 1

These are blue chip keys that you can make money on if you hold it for a period of time. If RMA says that's not the case he will be wrong.

This statement is neither true, nor untrue, because it concerns the future, which is unknown.

You also give absolutely no parameters to qualify your claim about the future. For example: does it matter what condition the book(s) is/are in? How long a period of time must one hold said book(s)? What about restored copies? Qualified copies? Does it matter how much you pay, or is any price paid going to guarantee you will "make money"?

The lack of any qualifying parameters makes the claim far too broad to come to any conclusion.

I will back up this statement with data as I have in my previous posts.

You've posted data? I am unaware of any. Would you please point me in the direction of that/those post(s)? Time and date of post(s) would be fine. Thanks!

Go back and look for the data I posted and my parameters that you seemed to have conveniently overlooked.

We aren't talking restored and we aren't talking nose bleed grades like 9.4-9.8. I've stated this before.

Also your point about what someone pays is ridiculous. And clearly a point just to have a debate but you know what we are talking about is buying a SA key at the going price for a given grade (such a GPA) and then holding it for a period of time.

In some case it can be a year like Hulk 1 and your money could have doubled.

In most cases it's the rule of 5. Hold the comic for 5 years and you will be guaranteed to make a nice profit.

You just want to be a contrarian. I liked you a lot better when you just posted icons.

(thumbs u

Thank you Mark I couldn't have said it better myself. Rma all you're doing is defining posts. You have yet to post any data where a sa/ba key comic has declined in value since let's say the 80's as mark has stated from ospg. Let's just concentrate on blue label mid grade books, cause that's what's being debated. Here is a list for you to provide declining prices since 1980-2015

Af15 5.0 blue

Tos39 5.0 blue

Jim 83 5.0 blue

Hulk 181 5.0 blue

Gsxm 1 we'll say 7.0ish for this one blue label

It is not up to the challenger to DISprove a claim, but rather for the claimant to prove it.

If there are gaps in your knowledge of the history of the comic market, you'll have to fill them in.

Biggest difference between GSX 1 & SW 1 is only high grade slabbed copies of SW 1 sell for big bucks. Unslabbed copies are cheap and EVERYWHERE, not the same for GSX where unslabbed VG's will still fetch over 300 or more.

To me, that's the true measure of value and desirability, not 9.8 label sniffers.

I would not bet my retirement on comic book appreciation. Buy them to read and enjoy (hobby money). If you make something great! If not, no loss it was entertainment.

There are lots of sources of financial advice and I doubt that any of them will recommend comics for long term savings.