• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

I fixed it. Now, can you support your statement to this debate as to rebut Mark1's claim?

Yes.

Or do you just want to disagree with him? Because we all haven't heard your opinion/facts in this case.

Not how debate works.

:)

Yes?? That's your come back? :facepalm: Where's your input? We all got your knowledge of bullying, but yet you can't provide any input and still you continue to post in this gsxm1 investment thread.

any more discussions about investment books are we still ranting about bullying? zzz

:popcorn:

Why are you posting popcorn? There's still a few of us who are awaiting your input and rebuttal to Mark1's post. Why are you beating around a bush. And don't say that's not how debate works. You replied to Mark1's post with simple short answers, with no input of your own. That's not how a debate works.

That's because RMA doesn't have a rebuttal.

Oh, I certainly do. You'll see it below.

Keys that I mentioned have been climbing (sometimes very slowly) over the past decades. Outside of the nose bleed grades (9.8-9.4) these books are steady climbers and are blue chips.

You've just changed the parameters of your argument.

Let me refresh:

But, Silver Age keys have always climbed in price.

...which is not correct.

I don't think GSXM 1 is a blue chip book.

JIM 83

TOS 39

AF 15

Hulk 1

These are blue chip keys that you can make money on if you hold it for a period of time. If RMA says that's not the case he will be wrong.

This statement is neither true, nor untrue, because it concerns the future, which is unknown.

You also give absolutely no parameters to qualify your claim about the future. For example: does it matter what condition the book(s) is/are in? How long a period of time must one hold said book(s)? What about restored copies? Qualified copies? Does it matter how much you pay, or is any price paid going to guarantee you will "make money"?

The lack of any qualifying parameters makes the claim far too broad to come to any conclusion.

I will back up this statement with data as I have in my previous posts.

You've posted data? I am unaware of any. Would you please point me in the direction of that/those post(s)? Time and date of post(s) would be fine. Thanks!

Go back and look for the data I posted and my parameters that you seemed to have conveniently overlooked.

We aren't talking restored and we aren't talking nose bleed grades like 9.4-9.8. I've stated this before.

Also your point about what someone pays is ridiculous. And clearly a point just to have a debate but you know what we are talking about is buying a SA key at the going price for a given grade (such a GPA) and then holding it for a period of time.

In some case it can be a year like Hulk 1 and your money could have doubled.

In most cases it's the rule of 5. Hold the comic for 5 years and you will be guaranteed to make a nice profit.

You just want to be a contrarian. I liked you a lot better when you just posted icons.

(thumbs u

Thank you Mark I couldn't have said it better myself. Rma all you're doing is defining posts. You have yet to post any data where a sa/ba key comic has declined in value since let's say the 80's as mark has stated from ospg. Let's just concentrate on blue label mid grade books, cause that's what's being debated. Here is a list for you to provide declining prices since 1980-2015

Af15 5.0 blue

Tos39 5.0 blue

Jim 83 5.0 blue

Hulk 181 5.0 blue

Gsxm 1 we'll say 7.0ish for this one blue label

It is not up to the challenger to DISprove a claim, but rather for the claimant to prove it.

If there are gaps in your knowledge of the history of the comic market, you'll have to fill them in.

I'll help out a little here...... specifics will have to be provided by another.... but here is a "lead".......circa early 90's, OPG reduced the prices ACROSS THE BOARD for everything Fine and Very Good ...the Fine's were reduced from 50% of NM to approx. 33% of NM ......a substantial drop that was warranted due to actual market conditions. As many of you know, OPG is reluctant to drop prices prematurely..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wow, curiosity made me peek at GPA for GS X-men 1 and it looks like after years and years of stagnation, it's starting to move. :o

Star Wars 1 has exploded in price the last few months, so I suspect census numbers in 9.4 - 9.8 this summer will be double what they were last summer. The same can't be said for GS X-men 1...pretty clear here what the better "investment" book is at current prices. (shrug)

I don't know why we are really comparing the two. The thread was about whether GSX 1 was a good investment. GSX 1 has always been a blue chip BA book. SW 1 has become one. I don't think they are in competition with each other. Probably a lot of collectors would like to have both.

Anyone who thinks though that the SW bubble is gonna burst is just not recognizing that the book isn't really a fad, it has just finally arrived. It doesn't matter how many copies there are, there are enough comic collectors and SW fans to soak up the supply.There isn't just one movie or even one trilogy coming out either.

There seems to be no end to the amount of Hulk 181's in the market, and they still fetch good dollars at every grade.

I don't know why we are really comparing the two. The thread was about whether GSX 1 was a good investment. GSX 1 has always been a blue chip BA book. SW 1 has become one. I don't think they are in competition with each other. Probably a lot of collectors would like to have both.

Anyone who thinks though that the SW bubble is gonna burst is just not recognizing that the book isn't really a fad, it has just finally arrived. It doesn't matter how many copies there are, there are enough comic collectors and SW fans to soak up the supply.There isn't just one movie or even one trilogy coming out either.

There seems to be no end to the amount of Hulk 181's in the market, and they still fetch good dollars at every grade.

"This time will be different."

-J.

Would you agree that the huge value spike that SW 1 received in such a short amount of time gives it the appearance of a bubble?

-J.

That might apply if a new Star Wars movie were never made. However, Disney buying the franchise and making new movies is huge and is definitely a factor. Time will tell of course, but I can see this bubble expanding for a long, long time.

-J.

That might apply if a new Star Wars movie were never made. However, Disney buying the franchise and making new movies is huge and is definitely a factor. Time will tell of course, but I can see this bubble expanding for a long, long time.

But it's already deflating. (shrug)

-J.

-J.

+1

I would not bet my retirement on comic book appreciation. Buy them to read and enjoy (hobby money). If you make something great! If not, no loss it was entertainment.

There are lots of sources of financial advice and I doubt that any of them will recommend comics for long term savings.

:applause:

-J.

+1

At this point the shilling that occurred (and is still occurring in lower grades now) with this book to artificially pump up the price is well documented. The book is already more common in a 9.8 than any other legitimate, bona fide BA key, and we are likely only seeing the tip of the iceberg of how many high grade copies of this mass produced movie book that are out there. And as I already mentioned earlier, the book is off about 25% from it's inflated peak, at the moment and has quite obviously cooled substantially.

The carnival barking that's occurring with this book is not supported by what's actually going on with it in reality.

-J.

-J.

Exactly. Same thing with Guardians of the Galaxy with at least two more movies on the way, and a weekly animated TV series to be shown on Disney Channel.

All bubbles burst, but enjoy the ride because Star Wars and GOTG have at least 5 years as being players now before their bubbles burst.

My point is Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy are/will be going on an upward trend these next few years, while GSX 1 will just sit there.

With no movement with GSX 1 we will find the inflation alone will make an investor lose money on the deal.

Money now is worth less in 5 years.

An example is

if you spend $3000 on a GSX 1 CGC 9.8 now, and its still worth $3000 in 5 years, than you would have lost money because of inflation.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

-J.

Exactly. Same thing with Guardians of the Galaxy with at least two more movies on the way, and a weekly animated TV series to be shown on Disney Channel.

All bubbles burst, but enjoy the ride because Star Wars and GOTG have at least 5 years as being players now before their bubbles burst.

My point is Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy are/will be going on an upward trend these next few years, while GSX 1 will just sit there.

With no movement with GSX 1 we will find the inflation alone will make an investor lose money on the deal.

Money now is worth less in 5 years.

An example is

if you spend $3000 on a GSX 1 CGC 9.8 now, and its still worth $3000 in 5 years, than you would have lost money because of inflation.

I thought it was also commonly known the massive price drops basically all the Guardians books have suffered as well. Up to 70% in some cases. (shrug)

-J.

-J.

-J.

And then if it starts expanding again, what will you say about that? Are you suggesting that once deflated, the balloon can never expand again? I know that's not what you're suggesting

-J.

-J.

And then if it starts expanding again, what will you say about that? Are you suggesting that once deflated, the balloon can never expand again? I know that's not what you're suggesting

I think alternative media hype books essentially have the same life cycle and follow the same pattern. Especially the BA and newer ones.

-J.

I would not bet my retirement on comic book appreciation. Buy them to read and enjoy (hobby money). If you make something great! If not, no loss it was entertainment.

There are lots of sources of financial advice and I doubt that any of them will recommend comics for long term savings.

:applause:

Just so i'm clear, i've never stated anyone should invest in comics for their retirement.

If a person doesn't have a retirement plan, savings, 401k, etc then they sure better not be investing in comics.

The question is for investment...not for retirement.

Buying an AF15 now for FMV and holding it for 15 years....that would be an investment.

-J.

-J.

Not according to GPA - the all-time recorded sale for a 9.4 @$400 occurred 3 days ago and the last recorded sale of a 9.8 was the 2nd highest recorded sale (and occurred last week)? Looks like the bubble is still blowing up... (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

I think alternative media hype books essentially have the same life cycle and follow the same pattern. Especially the BA and newer ones.

-J.

I think the fact that it's Star Wars might change the equation a little. As I said, time will tell. Should be fun to watch