• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's see your all time favorite cover!!

125 posts in this topic

I love a lot of covers by the all-time greats; Frank Frazetta, Neal Adams, Jim Steranko, Bernie Wrightson, L.B. Cole, Steve Ditko, Dave Stevens and the lists goes on and on. But there are two that stand out for me, Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika and Treasure Chest Vol. 26 #2. While I enjoy great art, sometimes the appeal of the cover goes beyond the artwork. These two are my current favorites.

Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika, while competently rendered by Al Hartley, it’s the title and imagery that really grabs you. It looks like a Nazi’s wet dream. But the comic, being a religious publication, is very tame compared to the outrageous cover. Actually, the story is kind of corny which adds to the charm.

hansi_zps3a3cdb5d.jpg

I thought the story contained an implied rape?

I love a lot of covers by the all-time greats; Frank Frazetta, Neal Adams, Jim Steranko, Bernie Wrightson, L.B. Cole, Steve Ditko, Dave Stevens and the lists goes on and on. But there are two that stand out for me, Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika and Treasure Chest Vol. 26 #2. While I enjoy great art, sometimes the appeal of the cover goes beyond the artwork. These two are my current favorites.

Hansi, the Girl Who Loved the Swastika, while competently rendered by Al Hartley, it’s the title and imagery that really grabs you. It looks like a Nazi’s wet dream. But the comic, being a religious publication, is very tame compared to the outrageous cover. Actually, the story is kind of corny which adds to the charm.

hansi_zps3a3cdb5d.jpg

I thought the story contained an implied rape?

Very sanitized. A black panel with word balloons. Luckily, Hansi was too skinny and they didn't want her.

hansipg_zpsdm5p5tcb.jpg

My 2nd favorite cover. This was the most expensive comic I ever bought when I collected as a kid - $18

I would have been 8 or 9 at the time and I remember the comic shop owner asking my older sister who was with me if it was ok that I spent that much money on a comic :)

TheTerminatorNOWcover01_zpstry7138x.jpg

Right now, my favorite cover.

Conan1.jpg

Great choice.

Barry Windsor-Smith has always been one of my favourite cover artists, ever since I started collecting in the 70s. He's produced a lot of briliantly-composed, exquisite, pre-Raphaelite imagery with such incredible detail that by focusing on a small area of the work it's always possible to find missed subtleties, even decades on. My favourite is Solar, Man of the Atom 10.

Barry Windsor-Smith has always been one of my favourite cover artists, ever since I started collecting in the 70s. He's produced a lot of briliantly-composed, exquisite, pre-Raphaelite imagery with such incredible detail that by focusing on a small area of the work it's always possible to find missed subtleties, even decades on. My favourite is Solar, Man of the Atom 10.

vAxKFwN.jpg

:lol:

-slym

Right now, my favorite cover.

Conan1.jpg

Great choice.

I agree that his attention to detail is what makes this one of the great covers of any era.