• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Figure Cover Thread!

2,130 posts in this topic

The isn't one for Force Awakens so maybe they're just sticking to the main title now?

Lando got one. I'm thinking they were sticking with original trilogy characters.

Maybe one of these?

Emperor

Yoda

Jabba The Hutt

Jawa

Ewok

Sand People

Admiral Ackbar

Greedo

Jerome

Not sure who this one is... ???

One of Landos card playing buddies (thumbs u

lol I guess I forgot to use bulletpoints.

Jerome

Edited by jump_ace

Is there any kind of list that says how much longer they are making the Secret Wars covers? Don't get me wrong…they're awesome, but I really hope it's ending now.

I'm almost at the same point with the Star Wars ones too.

Is there any kind of list that says how much longer they are making the Secret Wars covers? Don't get me wrong…they're awesome, but I really hope it's ending now.

I just saw the October solicitations and they have about 10-15 Marvel AF Superhero Covers (some Secret Wars and many of the new #1s) and the usual Star Wars cover. I would imagine the SW covers will continue indefinitely. They made over 100 original action figures and they have the 2nd trilogy, new trilogy, clone wars, Rebels, etc. if they really want to keep milking it.

I'm hoping they have an end in sight on the Star Wars covers and don't feel pressured to perpetuate these variants.

I've really enjoyed them and have each one so far, but they'll certainly dilute the concept's novelty and fun as they start heading toward the more obscure characters. The first 9 characters released in '78 have already been done and I think that's your real core (Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Ben, Vader, 3PO, R2, Stormtrooper). Boba was essential and, with Lando added, I don't think you have many more main characters outside of Yoda. That's a nice set that collectors will want to display on their wall. Once you start going beyond them, you'll have less and less people that consider these "must-haves" for a set. I'm struggling to imagine anyone posting on here about how geeked they are to pick up the Lobot action figure variant. I can see doing some of the more valuable characters like Yak Face or even the Droids Boba Fett (in the cartoon color scheme would be really great) maybe as ratioed incentives, but we certainly don't need General Madine, Teebo or Dengar (unless there's a bounty hunters mini).

Gentle Giant has done the same thing with their 12-inch scale series and I think they have over 50 figures now. It just gets tiresome and I'm betting a number of the people collecting them still do it more out of the completist mentality than any actual enjoyment.

I just saw the October solicitations and they have about 10-15 Marvel AF Superhero Covers (some Secret Wars and many of the new #1s) and the usual Star Wars cover. I would imagine the SW covers will continue indefinitely. They made over 100 original action figures and they have the 2nd trilogy, new trilogy, clone wars, Rebels, etc. if they really want to keep milking it.

Oh geez, this is starting to get overkill.

I'm collecting the Star Wars AFs and Secret Wars AFs but if they start expanding this to their phony-baloney money-grabbing universe-wide across-the-board relaunch - that's just ridiculous.

Oh geez, this is starting to get overkill.

I'm collecting the Star Wars AFs and Secret Wars AFs but if they start expanding this to their phony-baloney money-grabbing universe-wide across-the-board relaunch - that's just ridiculous.

Psst :gossip: It was always a money-grabbing scheme on their part.

I'm going to continue to buy them. I'm buying these books anyway and I like the figure covers better than the others.

I'm right there with you.

It's not like they're going to stop making variant covers, so it is a good thing that we have some that we enjoy.

Collecting vintage Star Wars toys is one of my other hobbies. These particular af variants are like crack to me. I would buy them all, even if they did go through the whole line.

I'll buy a lobot, I'll buy a r5-d4 , I'll buy a power droid ... When it hits the b players of ep. 1-3 I might stop .. But until then. Keep them coming. It's not like they are hard to find or expensive.

I'd like to see a Kanan

A whole Rebels line would be a no brainier for me.

I bought the real toys after watching the series. Felt like a kid going to target and toys r us and searching for them.

From this months solicitations ...

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 & 2 - ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER (JUL150704)

SECRET WARS #8 (OF 8)

ACTION FIGURE VARIANT BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

BLADE #1

ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1

DOCTOR STRANGE #1

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1

SPIDER-GWEN #1

FIGMENT 2 #2 (of 5)

STAR WARS #11

I'd like to see a Kanan

A whole Rebels line would be a no brainier for me.

I bought the real toys after watching the series. Felt like a kid going to target and toys r us and searching for them.

I still need Chopper!!!!!