• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Covers that were never used!

97 posts in this topic

Here's the cover used and the original cover Curt Swan came up with:

s175swan.gif

Here's the original cover for WF 160-what happened was they changed the logo with that ish so they used that cover for the splash instead and Swan came up with another cover:

4729175217_96756bcf0e_b.jpg

2093o80.jpg

Do you know of any?

We might as well go with one of the most iconic comic books and the cover never used that everyone already knows about. Personally, I am glad they went with the one they did.

Amazing Fantasy 15 cover actually used.

300px-Amazing_Fantasy_Vol_1_15.jpg

And of course the original Ditko cover that was never used.

Amazing_Fantasy_Vol_1_15_Variant_Original_Ditko_Cover.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]

From Bob Layton:

"As many of you know, there were eight versions done for the cover of X-Factor #1.

Some were done by Butch Guice and me, some were done by just me and finally,

Walt Simonson wound-up doing two different covers after Butch and I simply gave up.

There was soooo much second guessing about the cover by the "powers-that-be" that it became an impossible task to fulfill.

The preliminary sales on this book broke Marvel records at that time and no one could seem to settle on a final version for this cover.

This particular one was the very first ( and the best, in my opinion) version done.

I don't know what happened to the original, but here is my recreation with the cover copy added. "[/font]

Xn8cEkq6_1512141352081_zpslekoiqku.jpg

Here is an unused Spider-Man cover featuring Abraham Lincoln, I saw this in The Krypton Companion of all places, a book about Superman comics from the late '50s to mid '80s. The reason it's shown in a Superman book is due to a few appearances by J.F.K. in Action Comics and Superman, the author pointed out a few other examples of presidents appearing in comic books. The book does not give a date or issue number for this unused cover and I couldn't find anything online about this one so I'm not sure which issue this was intended for. (shrug)

P1010493_zps1fc427e9.jpg