• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Fallout 4

575 posts in this topic

It's speculation, Jay, but it's comics and it's fun. I think it's close to a coin flip as to which direction the character goes. Both sides can be argued effectively. AF 15 will always be a key, if not the key SA book because whatever happens here, Disney will insure that Spidey always gets top billing.

Blaze, Marvel is going the "synergy" route with its comics and movies. Peter Parker is the star of Marvel's top selling comic book. Miles Morales' prior title was canceled due to poor sales, and his new title just launched last year sells less copies every month, with barely 30,000 sold most recently. The minority train only goes so far, and Marvel isn't stupid. They know which side the bread is buttered on, and they know who butters it. And when it comes to Spider-Man, that person is and will always be, Peter Parker. (thumbs u

I understand people have stacks of books to sell, but right now the only thing being "sold" is a pipe dream. lol

-J.

I've bought books that have worked out and Ive bought books that haven't. I'll be at peace with whatever outcome awaits.

As far as recent sales of the book, let's not forget the lessons of the past. Green Lantern and the X-Men, both almost cancelled at one time, went on to become two of the most heralded runs of the Bronze Age once the Denny O'Neil and Chris Claremont were handed the reigns.

We all love our comics but movies are the new medium of choice. What's Disney's bigger moneymaker? Comics or superhero movies? Do not underestimate the power of Hollywood, Good Sir. One good Spider-Man movie featuring Miles Morales could prove to be a game changer. The fact that the print runs on the early Miles books are reasonable for the medium makes them all the more collectible if he attains box office success.

It's a great book, and Miles is here to stay.

I don't think the price is out of line with this crazy market.

Everything is gong for crazy prices nowadays...

I've always agreed that the character is solid, and he is here to stay. I think the book was undervalued too... current explosion is crazy though, it'll be a $75 slab when it settles probably. Unless something movie wise does happen... which I've been very negative on from a possibility perspective.

Time will tell.

If you look at it from the perspective of a bunch of 30-60 year old comic guys, Peter Parker is the man. Heck, I grew up on the guy and along with the X-Men (we will forget about Captain Carrot for street cred purposes) his stories were my favorite read. Some might be making the mistake of believing we are the ones these movies are geared toward appeasing.

We are dealing with a media company (Disney) that has a core business based on theme parks, family friendly cartoons, toys and movies. I know Sony has the rights but Marvel (Disney) is now steering the ship. I believe if you look at the target audience the younger Miles Morales makes sense to Disney's long term financial interests. If you are looking for a $15-$20 speculative book you could certainly do worse. I've got 10 of the first prints at an average price point of $12 and change. 3 or 4 are 9.8 candidates.

Having said that I'd agree the $330 9.8 price point most likely will not stick unless we get some news. $75 may be a little harsh. I could see the price settling closer to $150-$175 for a nice 9.8 slab.

Blaze, you're my dude but come on man.

-J.

Their target audience is whoever will spend the money to see the movies, buy the $200 high end action figures and $400 statues. You wouldn't see DC/ Warner go with a young black or hispanic Superman or Batman in a movie, it would be a financial death sentence and Marvel / Disney know that a gimmick will only go so far. The 3 most recognizable superheroes in the world are Superman Batman and Spider-Man and their historical secret identities.

Ethnicity aside, would children and young teens relate better to an awkward 18 year old Peter Parker, or his younger counterpart, Miles Morales?

This would be a tactical move on the part of Disney. The last Spidey movie showed that some interest has waned in Peter Parker as Spider-Man, at least on the big screen. There's also the possibility Disney has a universe with both Peter and Miles co-existing.

Either way, we are talking $15-$20 a copy here, guys. You two are honestly arguing that is too steep?

Ethnicity aside, would children and young teens relate better to an awkward 18 year old Peter Parker, or his younger counterpart, Miles Morales?

This would be a tactical move on the part of Disney. The last Spidey movie showed that some interest has waned in Peter Parker as Spider-Man, at least on the big screen. There's also the possibility Disney has a universe with both Peter and Miles co-existing.

Either way, we are talking $15-$20 a copy here, guys. You two are honestly arguing that is too steep?

Children, young adults, parent, grandparents will relate to Peter Parker as Spider-Man because that's who has been Spider-Man for their entire lives. Interest waned in the ASM movies because they stunk, that's all really. Look at the pre-Nolan Batman movies. They were horrible and there wasn't even a thought of having someone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman in the later films.

I hope UF4 keeps going up, I'm still finding them in the wild for cover price or less

Children, young adults, parent, grandparents will relate to Peter Parker as Spider-Man because that's who has been Spider-Man for their entire lives. Interest waned in the ASM movies because they stunk, that's all really. Look at the pre-Nolan Batman movies. They were horrible and there wasn't even a thought of having someone other than Bruce Wayne as Batman in the later films.

I hope UF4 keeps going up, I'm still finding them in the wild for cover price or less

+1 These characters have staying power if and this is a big if they keep good writing and artists on the books. You don't have to reinvent the wheel or jazz it up to say hey look its selling. If its got a good story and art people will buy it however I think Marvel has burned a lot of fans my age and older on the constant retelling, rehashing, and renumbering of the same character and book IMO.

Edited by natevegas

Children, not grandparents, are the demographic Disney and Marvel care about and want to cultivate. Miles Morales is already in the cartoon series, he is popular with kids, and gaining more and more momentum. For all intents and purposes Peter Parker the comic book character is a thirty something married guy, his appeal as an awkward teenager who gained superpowers has been diluted over the years, and the movies have proved that this trope is well and truly played out. Bruce Wayne & Clark Kent are timeless simply because they started their comic lives as fully fledged adults. Peter Parker has been forced to grow into adulthood in a span of decades in comic books which has been an awkward process at times.

Miles is a fresh take on a tired character. The Spider-Man costume is the draw here, not what the name of the character is beneath the hood.

Children, not grandparents, are the demographic Disney and Marvel care about and want to cultivate. Miles Morales is already in the cartoon series, he is popular with kids, and gaining more and more momentum. For all intents and purposes Peter Parker the comic book character is a thirty something married guy, his appeal as an awkward teenager who gained superpowers has been diluted over the years, and the movies have proved that this trope is well and truly played out. Bruce Wayne & Clark Kent are timeless simply because they started their comic lives as fully fledged adults. Peter Parker has been forced to grow into adulthood in a span of decades in comic books which has been an awkward process at times.

Miles is a fresh take on a tired character. The Spider-Man costume is the draw here, not what the name of the character is beneath the hood.

I literally disagree with every single thing in this post. (thumbs u

-J.

I literally disagree with every single thing in this post. (thumbs u

-J.

:roflmao:

This would be a tactical move on the part of Disney. The last Spidey movie showed that some interest has waned in Peter Parker as Spider-Man, at least on the big screen.

I couldn't disagree more - the problem with those last two movies, especially the most recent one, is that they were terrible. That has nothing to do with interest waning in Peter Parker as Spider-man... I don't even know how you would arrive at that conclusion.

There is no doubt in my mind, ZERO doubt, that Peter Parker will be the Spider-man we see in the MCU.

I may be wrong. We will see.

I just can't imagine Marvel getting their #1 toy back, and not bringing him out to play with the big boys.

Same - I've been beating this drum since this blogger / film critic guy opened his mouth. All rational choice points to Parker. Name recognition, comic book sales figures, the character's long history to draw on, the chance to put their keystone character into the MCU.

I'm not claiming certainty, but ... honestly, it'd be a blunder to do otherwise. Sorry, that is just how I see it.

Still... I'd love to see Miles in a film some day, but this ain't it.

This would be a tactical move on the part of Disney. The last Spidey movie showed that some interest has waned in Peter Parker as Spider-Man, at least on the big screen.

I couldn't disagree more - the problem with those last two movies, especially the most recent one, is that they were terrible. That has nothing to do with interest waning in Peter Parker as Spider-man... I don't even know how you would arrive at that conclusion.

Well since you asked. Let's start off with some critics reviews of the last Spidey movie. There's a reoccurring theme here:

153449.jpg.314dc6eb63ca49716ff684f438a04ae7.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind, ZERO doubt, that Peter Parker will be the Spider-man we see in the MCU.

I may be wrong. We will see.

I just can't imagine Marvel getting their #1 toy back, and not bringing him out to play with the big boys.

Especially if Marvel wants to stay away from a third version of his origin in recent memory. They can't bring someone in who isn't clearly Peter Parker, unless they either don't take his mask off all film so you don't know who he is (unlikely, since heroes never keep their masks on in these films), or somehow find it to be a good idea to build an origin into the Avengers film. They can change the actor playing Peter, but they can't change Peter without really setting themselves up for explanations they probably don't want to get into.

Well since you asked. Let's start off with some critics reviews of the last Spidey movie. There's a reoccurring theme here:

I saw the movie, I read many of the reviews. The -script just sucked, it has nothing to do with Peter Parker. Nothing.

People are tired of seeing the same two Spider-man movies, how is that the character dragging it down? I agree with a lot of the points you're making about Miles, but this one is out of left field for me.

No one is going to see an awesome Spider-man movie trailer, and then when the mask comes off go "Awww man! That Peter Parker guy again?! I'm out."

It isn't going to happen. Ever.

I still think UF #4 is a great book to own, especially if you are a Miles fan.

I just wouldn't advise buying a stack because you think he will be in some movies.

I wouldn't advise any books based on movie speculation though,

If you like Miles, you have to own one though. No doubt.