• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Fallout 4

575 posts in this topic

100% true story, this literally happened 2-hours ago;

On the A-train heading uptown and I'm overhearing a mother in her late twenties talking with her son whose about 10. The boy is asking his mom if they are making Spider-Man 3. Mom says they are making a new movie with a new Peter Parker and she follows up by saying how they messed up and should have used the new Spider-Man from the comics because it'll be something different.

I would have hugged her but this is New York lol

100% true story, this literally happened 2-hours ago;

On the A-train heading uptown and I'm overhearing a mother in her late twenties talking with her son whose about 10. The boy is asking his mom if they are making Spider-Man 3. Mom says they are making a new movie with a new Peter Parker and she follows up by saying how they messed up and should have used the new Spider-Man from the comics because it'll be something different.

I would have hugged her but this is New York lol

That is all nice and everything but Peter Parker is from the comic books as well albeit way before Miles was created and casting already picked for Spider-man going forward in the movies. 2c

I don't see the need to have an either or situation. Why can't there be both ? Nobody complains about Venom, Carnage, and Toxin do they ? Spider-man has an enormous list of top tier villains. Don't you think Peter and Miles could/would work together in the same way Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, and the rest work together ? I think it would make for an easy fit. Especially with Peter and MaryJane getting older and settling down. Who would make a better mentor than a guy who made almost every mistake possible to become who he is ? Maybe I'm missing something but I read Marvel Team-up as a teen and Mr. Parker played well with others then, I think it would work on the big screen too.

I don't see the need to have an either or situation. Why can't there be both ? Nobody complains about Venom, Carnage, and Toxin do they ? Spider-man has an enormous list of top tier villains. Don't you think Peter and Miles could/would work together in the same way Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, and the rest work together ? I think it would make for an easy fit. Especially with Peter and MaryJane getting older and settling down. Who would make a better mentor than a guy who made almost every mistake possible to become who he is ? Maybe I'm missing something but I read Marvel Team-up as a teen and Mr. Parker played well with others then, I think it would work on the big screen too.

Dear The Authority,

Didn't you get the memo? Miles Morales is going to fail because he already has. According to some, he doesn't even deserve the opportunity to succeed in another medium, such as movies, because his titles don't sell enough (like ASM's Peter Parker version). Therefore, he should be banished from comic books forever (I might be reading previous comments incorrectly, but there's enough negativity in them for me to jump to this conclusion).

Essentially, it seems as if Miles Morales is not worthy to carry on the Spider-Man legacy if Peter Parker was to "retire" or be "killed off". There is only one Spider-Man and his name is Peter Parker!

To which I say (as a white dude whether that matters or not) - bullsh!t. Miles Morales is an interesting character with a ton of potential to become something other than a minority super hero. If done correctly, he can become to us what Peter Parker has: A hero.

Stan Lee has now weighed in and put his foot down on the whole diversity with Spidey and all characters in this new "diversity" media hype era.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/stan-lee-stands-white-spider-man-says-create-new-characters

From the article -

Now Stan Lee sets the record straight and says they should leave the characters alone and just create new ones.

"I wouldn’t mind, if Peter Parker had originally been black, a Latino, an Indian or anything else, that he stay that way,” Lee told Newsarama. “But we originally made him white. I don’t see any reason to change that.”

While Bendis apparently believes kids aren't allowed to pretend to be a hero of a different "color," Stan Lee thinks that one of Spider-Man's stengths is that his costume enables anyone to potentially identify with the Web Crawler.

"What I like about the costume is that anybody reading Spider-Man in any part of the world can imagine that they themselves are under the costume,” Lee said. “And that’s a good thing.”

Lee continues that it's not about being anti-gay or anti-black, and even mentions what may fans have stated, which is they wouldn't want to see the black characters changed as well.

“It has nothing to do with being anti-gay, or anti-black, or anti-Latino, or anything like that,” Lee said. “Latino characters should stay Latino. The Black Panther should certainly not be Swiss. I just see no reason to change that which has already been established when it’s so easy to add new characters. I say create new characters the way you want to. Hell, I’ll do it myself.”

The man is 93 or so and prepared to create new characters. Unbelievable.

Somewhere a room full of creators just looked at each other and thought "We are pathetic".

Royalty money etc aside I hope someone feels compelled to step up and make their mark.

Stan Lee has now weighed in and put his foot down on the whole diversity with Spidey and all characters in this new "diversity" media hype era.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/stan-lee-stands-white-spider-man-says-create-new-characters

From the article -

Now Stan Lee sets the record straight and says they should leave the characters alone and just create new ones.

"I wouldn’t mind, if Peter Parker had originally been black, a Latino, an Indian or anything else, that he stay that way,” Lee told Newsarama. “But we originally made him white. I don’t see any reason to change that.”

While Bendis apparently believes kids aren't allowed to pretend to be a hero of a different "color," Stan Lee thinks that one of Spider-Man's stengths is that his costume enables anyone to potentially identify with the Web Crawler.

"What I like about the costume is that anybody reading Spider-Man in any part of the world can imagine that they themselves are under the costume,” Lee said. “And that’s a good thing.”

Lee continues that it's not about being anti-gay or anti-black, and even mentions what may fans have stated, which is they wouldn't want to see the black characters changed as well.

“It has nothing to do with being anti-gay, or anti-black, or anti-Latino, or anything like that,” Lee said. “Latino characters should stay Latino. The Black Panther should certainly not be Swiss. I just see no reason to change that which has already been established when it’s so easy to add new characters. I say create new characters the way you want to. Hell, I’ll do it myself.”

I have to disagree with Stan the Man Lee.

If race isn't an integral part of the character (like Black Panther or Captain Britian) then what's the harm in casting the best actor regardless of race. Samuel L Jackson has done a great job as Nick.

Most of these characters were originally made white by default, all we are asking is when bringing them to life in film and television, to add some real life diversity as well.

Somewhere a room full of creators just looked at each other and thought "We are pathetic".

Royalty money etc aside I hope someone feels compelled to step up and make their mark.

lol So true. But it also speaks to the power and longevity of his original creation that, over 50 years later, people are still ripping it off.

-J.

lol So true. But it also speaks to the power and longevity of his original creation that, over 50 years later, people are still ripping it off.

-J.

I bet he still has better ideas than Bendis on creating new characters. lol

From the article -

If race isn't an integral part of the character (like Black Panther or Captain Britian) then what's the harm in casting the best actor regardless of race. Samuel L Jackson has done a great job as Nick.

Most of these characters were originally made white by default, all we are asking is when bringing them to life in film and television, to add some real life diversity as well.

I don't think you caught the gist of what the man said. He said whatever race or creed the character is created from it shouldn't be changed for that specific character. Meaning consistency which is lacking in the big 2 moderns last 10 plus years.

Edited by natevegas

-J.

I just dot get it. It's as if any new character that is created and does not explode is just brushed to the side. Push it, develop it. Just don't walk away. It's something we l crave. To the point people grab on to the likes of Spider-Gwen in all her mild freshness.

I'm calling you out Snyder. More Bluebird! Now say it like "More cowbell!" and repeat!

-J.

I just dot get it. It's as if any new character that is created and does not explode is just brushed to the side. Push it, develop it. Just don't walk away. It's something we l crave. To the point people grab on to the likes of Spider-Gwen in all her mild freshness.

I'm calling you out Snyder. More Bluebird! Now say it like "More cowbell!" and repeat!

+1 More Bluebird.....MORE

From the article -

I don't think you caught the gist of what the man said. He said whatever race or creed the character is created from it shouldn't be changed for that specific character. Meaning consistency which is lacking in the big 2 moderns last 10 plus years.

Yeah sure, now that all the good ideas are taken and cast white.

From the article -

Yeah sure, now that all the good ideas are taken and cast white.

I disagree there is creativity out there for new characters but its up to companies to use them. All Stan is saying is don't trump the history of the character. He gave the example redoing Black Panther as a Swiss as a idea he wouldn't agree with.

Edited by natevegas

This "make new characters" mantra that keeps getting rolled out by the people who have a problem that a fictional comic book character gets a change of ethnicity or gender, is really getting old. What work for hire comic book writer or artist is going to create a brand new superhero for Disney? When they could do the same for Image and actually make money from it. Believe me, I have worked for Disney, I have read their contracts, they are intense.

An established IP like Spider-man is guaranteed recognition, it's a flagship brand, it's not a risk. The change of the character dressed up as Spider-man is just keeping that brand fresh and relevant. There is a whole world of young Disney consumers out there that may want to see a different Spider-man these days, whether thats in a comic, in a movie or on a lunchbox. Disney know what they are doing, they are playing the long game here.

I get that some people get upset that things they are familiar with change. But it's a comic book. A 50 year old character isnt going to last forever and mean the same to future generations. Comics need to evolve to maintain creativity.

This "make new characters" mantra that keeps getting rolled out by the people who have a problem that a fictional comic book character gets a change of ethnicity or gender, is really getting old. What work for hire comic book writer or artist is going to create a brand new superhero for Disney? When they could do the same for Image and actually make money from it. Believe me, I have worked for Disney, I have read their contracts, they are intense.

An established IP like Spider-man is guaranteed recognition, it's a flagship brand, it's not a risk. The change of the character dressed up as Spider-man is just keeping that brand fresh and relevant. There is a whole world of young Disney consumers out there that may want to see a different Spider-man these days, whether thats in a comic, in a movie or on a lunchbox. Disney know what they are doing, they are playing the long game here.

I get that some people get upset that things they are familiar with change. But it's a comic book. A 50 year old character isnt going to last forever and mean the same to future generations. Comics need to evolve to maintain creativity.

I respect and appreciate your well written opinion.

However, I don't see how taking a famous character and then saying "hey let's just make a black one now" is in any way remotely fresh or innovative.

It is literally the same character, Stan created 50 years ago, except with a different colorist. Come on.

That's just plain lazy. And the pandering only exacerbates the silliness of it.

-J.