• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Fallout 4

575 posts in this topic

"And if we’re lucky, Marvel’s movies, which are currently lagging far behind when it comes to diversity, will soon mirror their comic counterparts."

It's Officially Official: The Main Spider-Man Is Miles Morales, A Biracial Teen From Brooklyn

I like how the related tags of this article read:

African-American, Biracial, Puerto Rican...

81EUYfZ.png

Does this have any impact on the speculation for Miles Morales as the matinee Spider-Man in the movies that may in part be why prices are being driven up?

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/06/19/spider-man-white-straight-sony-emails-mandatory-traits/

Peter Parker has two very important prerequisites — according to newly released emails from the infamous Sony hack. New leaked corporate messages appear to show that execs from the company made it a mandatory requirement that Spider-Man be white and straight.

A lot of jaw-dropping bombshells came out of all those leaked Sony emails in 2014. The latest revelation? A licensing agreement between Sony Pictures Entertainment and Marvel Entertainment was allegedly disclosed in a major document leak by the website Wikileaks, and it reveals some pretty harsh rules for Peter Parker and his beloved, arachnid alter ego, Spider-Man. Yep, it includes requirements for his race and sexual orientation. Read on for all the shocking details!

According to the agreement, it is “mandatory” that Spider-Man must be: male; does not torture; does not kill in defense of self or others; does not use foul language beyond PG-13; dose not smoke tobacco; does not sell/distribute illegal drugs; does not abuse alcohol; does not have sex before the age of 16; does not have sex with anyone below the age of 16; and is not a homosexual.”

There are also “traits” that Peter Parker must “conform” to. Those “traits” include: his full name is Peter Benjamin Parker; he is Caucasian and heterosexual; his parents become absent from his life during his childhood; from the time his parents become absent he is raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben in New York City; he gains his powers while attending either middle school or college; he gains his powers from being bitten by a spider; he designs his first red and blue costume; the black costume is a symbiote and not designed by him; he is raised in a middle class household in Queens, New York; he attends or attended high school in Queens, New York; and he attends or attended college in New York City.

Aside from this shortened roster, the most specific and close-minded qualifications are obviously that the superhero is “not a homosexual and Caucasian.” Wow — why put Spidey in a box, Sony?

The most ironic part of all this? The contract between Marvel and Sony began in September 2011, just months after a black-Latino Spider-Man was first introduced to the comic book world. Next, diehard fans of the saga actually started a social media campaign to get black actor Donald Glover, 31, cast in the last Spider-Man flicks — which ended up starring Andrew Garfield, 31.

Donald, who lent his voice as Miles Morales in the Disney xD cartoon, Spider-Man: Web Warriors, was loved so much by fans of the series that they even created this hashtag: #donald4spiderman. Well, now fans know why their voices were unheard. #SMH.

HollywoodLifers — what do YOU think? Should there be “mandatory traits” to be Spider-Man? Sound off below in the comments!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57761

for Peter Parker Spider-Man those are mandatory traits I can embrace.

Agreed, that's Peter and that's fine.

What would have been messed up is if the email said, "He can be named either Peter Parker or Miles Morales, but he must be played by a Caucasian actor."

I really like the Morales character.

But I don't see why it needs to be pushed (movie part). Just let it naturally happen.

Secondly, there is no need for only one. Both can exist in the same universe.

Patrick

But I don't see why it needs to be pushed (movie part). Just let it naturally happen.

Patrick

I generally agree with you.

But the rub lies with the fact that that this is now the *second* time Marvel is dissing Peter Parker in order to force this character into the mainstream. First they killed him in the Ultimate title (only to bring him back when sales subsequently tanked), and now they are needlessly canceling his top selling book so that Spider fans will essentially be forced to buy the Morales title.

I don't like that.

-J.

Patrick

But the rub lies with the fact that that this is now the *second* time Marvel is dissing Peter Parker in order to force this character into the mainstream. First they killed him in the Ultimate title (only to bring him back when sales subsequently tanked), and now they are needlessly canceling his top selling book so that Spider fans will essentially be forced to buy the Morales title.

I don't like that.

-J.

Did you like superior spiderman (shrug)

Patrick

I don't like that.

-J.

Did you like superior spiderman (shrug)

Yep. (thumbs u

Apples and oranges though as that was basically just one weird story arc that still involved PP. Many fans were hoping that the SS storyline would eventually just be folded into the ASM run with the original numbering resumed.

Though I will say I don't think Miles will last much longer than a story arc or two either. Just because Marvel says "this is Spider-man now because we said so" like they did with Thor may (probably) prove to be a mis-step because Thor ain't no Peter Parker and they scrapped their top regular (non- Star Wars related) title to replace it with not even an unknown commodity, but an already failed one. I don't know, maybe that was the only way they could get out of Slott's contract.

People seem to like the "idea" of Miles Morales more than the actual character, who doesn't seem to stand for much more other than being "the not white 'Spider-man'". As if that matters.

At the end of the day, Peter Parker provides the context, motivation, inspiration, etc for Miles Morales. Peter Parker was (is) still selling a million+ books a year after more than 50 years. They won't let sales get too terrible before they bring Peter back off the bench. Just as they did in the Ultimate title. Marvel may be in an experimental mood again, but it should be pretty obvious by now that they know which character butters their bread. My 2 cents.

-J.

I started reading ASM again around issue 666 :devil: ( lol )

The stories were very over the top and kind of hard to follow.

Superior spider man I loved. It was fresh and fun.

When ASM started again I started reading but PP as an adult just kinda stinks for me.

I've read some of the 1st MM series and the whole 2nd series. What I liked about it was he was a kid, struggling to find an identity.

If PP was a kid /teenager again, I might like it. But it's not.. Im all for the new MM Spider-Man.

And the Spider-Men mini was great also (thumbs u

Yes I agree some of those off-shoot titles and different iterations of the character can be fun (most especially and famously, Venom).

But at the end of the day it all started with Peter Parker. And one way or another, it will always come back around to him. (thumbs u

-J.