• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forum delayed posting and loading issues
2 2

1,070 posts in this topic

• Administrator
Generated in 59.237 seconds in which 17.454 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

These numbers make it look like your own internet connection may be a problem also. So that 17 second spike spent on the queries is definitely high. But what's interesting is that you have an even longer delay just downloading the page.

You would see that kind of behavior if, for example, your own internet connection was saturated, or was having spikes of poor quality. That could be either in general - meaning anything you loaded at that same time would be slow for you (as long as it wasn't cached locally) or a problem with specific paths through the internet.

Have you tried using an online speedtest to check your upload/download speeds during these spikes?

• Administrator

Just an update for everyone. We're looking at three different things right now that would effect performance:

1. We're fine tuning some bigger disk/maintenance operations to happen more consistently at the lowest traffic times. (2am to 4am central time). This wouldn't really effect daytime much, but still good.

2. We're investigating a couple of basic hardware upgrades that, if the price is right, could improve things quite a bit. We may or may not pull the trigger on these because...

3. We're evaluating some replacement message board software. That's a longer term / bigger project especially given the migration and some custom improvements, but we're looking at it.

By the way, if anyone has either love or hate suggestions on the big board software options out there, let me know. We have a short list right now, but feedback is always welcome.

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Suck it Greggy

• Administrator
slow10_zpspbnngpxu.jpg

It's odd that you come up with these numbers so consistently. About the worst I ever get is 6 seconds or so and that's rare. Earlier today, I disabled cache and reloaded a page every ten seconds for ten or fifteen minutes to see if I was just missing the spike... nothing. Everything was fast.

I can't really think of anything that would be so particular to individual users that some would be fast as some would be slow. Especially if most of their load time is accounted for by the time spent on queries - because that is all server side.