• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forum delayed posting and loading issues
2 2

1,070 posts in this topic

• Administrator
Much improved now.

The longest I'm getting now is about...

Generated in 6.87 seconds in which 6.855 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Is that the exception, with most page loads stats being less than a second, or are you frequently running into those speeds?

If it's frequent, do you have any unusual settings, such as the number of posts you display per page, etc.?

Much improved now.

Generated in 6.87 seconds in which 6.855 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Is that the exception, with most page loads stats being less than a second, or are you frequently running into those speeds?

If it's frequent, do you have any unusual settings, such as the number of posts you display per page, etc.?

It seems to be related to when I post. For example, when I hit reply to this message I had...

Generated in 5.961 seconds in which 5.946 seconds were spent on a total of 9 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

But when I'm just moving between forums or viewing posts, it's usually a fraction of a second now.

I'm currently using the default settings.

Much improved now.

It seems to be related to when I post. For example, when I hit reply to this message I had...

Generated in 5.961 seconds in which 5.946 seconds were spent on a total of 9 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

But when I'm just moving between forums or viewing posts, it's usually a fraction of a second now.

Apparently, being related to posting was just my imagination. I'm getting a mix now of anywhere between 8 seconds and a fraction of a second. Here's the latest...

Generated in 8.294 seconds in which 8.27 seconds were spent on a total of 32 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

I'm noticing right now that when I click into each forum (General, Gold, Silver, Bronze etc) it can *sometimes* take from 2 to 9 seconds to load. Sometimes it's fine and loads instantly. And individual threads seem to load instantly.

Much improved now.

Apparently, being related to posting was just my imagination. I'm getting a mix now of anywhere between 8 seconds and a fraction of a second. Here's the latest...

Generated in 8.294 seconds in which 8.27 seconds were spent on a total of 32 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Same here.

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 9 queries.

But that doesn't seem right, as today when a page loads for me it hangs while loading the Ebay ad (assuming this only because that is where it seems to freeze), and then it comes right up. But it takes a while for my browser to get that far.

• Administrator

We made some changes to how queries in the database are being cached. What you might generally see because of this:

1. Queries that are hit infrequently, or haven't been hit since the reboot may take longer because they are not currently in the cache.

2. Common queries that many users are using will load fast because they are in the cache.

3. Your total page load speed will include multiple parts. A portion of that speed will be measured by that line at the bottom - how long does the server take to get a page ready to send to you. The rest of it is taken up by things like

---a. How long you take to download the content (your bandwidth, the bandwidth of the servers sending the content - including third party server like photobucket or ebay or imgur, etc.)

---b. How long your computer takes to render the page (translate all that HTML and code into something visible on your browser)

---c. A bunch of other things - DNS lookup speed, blocking and non-blocking javascript, etc. etc.

Some of these we can control, some we can't. Right now we're justing going after the speed with which the server gets the page ready for you after your browser asks for it - and that's what the measurement on the bottom of the page tells you.

You could still have a slow loading page experience for other reasons, even if our server is blazingly fast.

But you will definitely have a slow loading page if our server is slow.

Hey Arch!

When reading old posts, emoticons get lost. I'm guessing the directory where they were got deleted/moved.

Could you create a directory including the emoticons so old posts read correctly?

wink.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/images//icons/wink.gif

speed3_zpsdlkpsutz.jpg

Anything specific you tend to be doing when getting long load times? Personally, I'm getting mostly all under 1 second.

I generated that one by clicking on "My Messages".

• Administrator
speed3_zpsdlkpsutz.jpg

Anything specific you tend to be doing when getting long load times? Personally, I'm getting mostly all under 1 second.

Is that consistent for you?

Here's what I get:

Generated in 0.226 seconds in which 0.209 seconds were spent on a total of 28 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Not doing anything special; just clicking on a thread.

Generated in 6.939 seconds in which 6.908 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

speed3_zpsdlkpsutz.jpg

Is that consistent for you?

Here's what I get:

Generated in 0.226 seconds in which 0.209 seconds were spent on a total of 28 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

No, it does not happen consistently. But I've been sending a lot of time in "My Messages" so it can be a pain.