• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

hm 

I'm trying figure out why you are choosing to couch the numbers in those terms.  

In reality, Homecoming (at $571M) has grossed about $50M more than GOTG did in its first 17 days: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/11/box-office-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-has-crossed-500-million-worldwide/#39cc3f743734

And is only off Wonder Woman pace (a movie that had universal, relentless, near hyperventilating media coverage and critical fawning and a virtually wide open playing field for 4 weeks) by about $30M, after 3 weeks:

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/film/box-office/wonder-woman-crosses-600-million-at-worldwide-box-office-1202475933/amp/

Homecoming may have been more front loaded, but again, it was also released during the most competitive period in the summer, and it's STILL hitting good numbers. Would Marvel have liked this to make a billion+ dollars ?  Of course.  I don't know how likely they thought that was though, especially considering the fact that Spidey's earlier, much ballyhooed extended appearance and de-facto origin story in Civil War probably goosed that movie's box office by AT LEAST $100M.  At the end of the day, I don't think Marvel is crying in its beer in the least on this one.   (thumbsu

-J.

It pains me to actually agree with Jaydogrules here, but he's right.

Homecoming will surpass the domestic total of _both_ of Andrew Garfield's films later this week.

And it cost less up front to produce than any film since the first one.

Most importantly -- unlike the last three films -- it was _good_.

Which means there's actual goodwill going into the next film, whereas this one was fighting nearly FF-levels of audience fatigue after the the last three lackluster outings.

24 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

hm 

I'm trying figure out why you are choosing to couch the numbers in those terms.  

In reality, Homecoming (at $571M) has grossed about $50M more than GOTG did in its first 17 days: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/11/box-office-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-has-crossed-500-million-worldwide/#39cc3f743734

And is only off Wonder Woman pace (a movie that had universal, relentless, near hyperventilating media coverage and critical fawning and a virtually wide open playing field for 4 weeks) by about $30M, after 3 weeks:

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/film/box-office/wonder-woman-crosses-600-million-at-worldwide-box-office-1202475933/amp/

I'm not. I specifically stated: "Great opening. No legs. "

People talking about Superhero Fatigue, Homecomings opening numbers were SPECTACULAR - showing us people really WANTED to see a good Spider-man movie. The numbers falling off hard, tell us that... people don't think it is.

Homecoming may have been more front loaded, but again, it was also released during the most competitive period in the summer

Yep. A competitive part of the summer where, as I said, Wonder Woman and GOTG2 are still hanging in there. Wonder Woman had a S4.5 Million Weekend, with all that competition around her - in her 8th WEEK! At the pace Homecoming is going, with LESS competition 5 weeks from now, it'll be doing nowhere near that.

, and it's STILL hitting good numbers. Would Marvel have liked this to make a billion+ dollars ?  Of course.  I don't know how likely they thought that was though, especially considering the fact that Spidey's earlier, much ballyhooed extended appearance and de-facto origin story in Civil War probably goosed that movie's box office by AT LEAST $100M.  At the end of the day, I don't think Marvel is crying in its beer in the least on this one.   (thumbsu

-J.

No. Marvel is not crying in their beers, nor did I ever say anything close to that.

I specifically said: "Is Spidey 'Just fine'? Yes. He's going to do well enough."

The point of contention was you saying 

"Homecoming was designed to be a smaller focused, character-centric story."

Which I think is silly. You don't take the biggest superhero in the world and make a small movie. That makes no sense. And it's certainly not how Marvel and Hollywood in general do things.

I can just imagine the meeting 

"so we are going to do something different this time, we are going to take our biggest star and make a smaller movie"

"let's make it with an indie appeal, perhaps b/w?"

Edited by jsilverjanet

8 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

It pains me to actually agree with Jaydogrules here, but he's right.

What is it exactly that you're agreeing with jaydog about that anyone is disputing?

That the movie had a good opening? No one disputes that.

That Marvel isn't crying in their beer? No one disputes that.

Homecoming will surpass the domestic total of _both_ of Andrew Garfield's films later this week.

Two horrible movies that nearly ruined the franchise. That's a goal post for losers.

Marvel was banking on this movie to compete with the Raimi pictures.

And it cost less up front to produce than any film since the first one.

Most importantly -- unlike the last three films -- it was _good_.

Which means there's actual goodwill going into the next film, whereas this one was fighting nearly FF-levels of audience fatigue after the the last three lackluster outings.

It's Marvel and it's Spider-man. Just that alone should guarantee the movie does over $200 Million. 

We'll see how much this drastic drop off has to do with the next movie.

7 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I can just imagine the meeting 

"so we are going to do something different this time, we are going to take our biggest star and make a smaller movie"

"let's make it with an indie appeal, perhaps b/w?"

Yeah, that guy would get thrown right out the window.

Just on the hype machine you can tell Marvel/Disney/Sony wanted and expected a bigger hit

Spiderman was promoted as early as the NBA final games. 

They will make money but they expected this version of the character to usher in their next phase of movies.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Just on the hype machine you can tell Marvel/Disney/Sony wanted and expected a bigger hit

Spiderman was promoted as early as the NBA final games. 

They will make money but they expected this version of the character to usher in their next phase of movies.

Yes. The character who takes over for Iron Man/Tony Stark as the rightful face of the Marvel franchise as he is in every other form of media for Marvel.

In the movies, Tony sees him as a protege, and is preparing him for bigger things. 

Edited by Chuck Gower

I was just looking at the 2017 domestic figures, and 4 of the top 5 movies are superhero movies. :whatthe:

Beauty and Beast

Wonder Woman

GotG 2

Spider-Man Homecoming

Logan

If it wasn't for superhero movies Hollywood would be in for some deep doo doo.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2017&p=.htm

I think price has a lot to do with it as well. It cost me $50 to see Spider-Man Homecoming. 

I think people think they can get a better deal just watching the movies at home on their big screen tvs with Netflix or Amazon Prime.

It is the same thing with sporting events as when I go see the Red Sox or Patriots play we are talking a minimum of me ponying up $500 for the game,while I could watch them on my big screen and order out for chicken wings and pizza at a much better price.

So I spent $50 to see Spider-Man makes me think next time just order on demand for $5.99 on Comcast.

I think I am not the only that feels this way about blockbuster movies and sporting events now.

You get a better deal staying at home.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

38 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I was just looking at the 2017 domestic figures, and 4 of the top 5 movies are superhero movies. :whatthe:

Beauty and Beast

Wonder Woman

GotG 2

Spider-Man Homecoming

Logan

If it wasn't for superhero movies Hollywood would be in for some deep doo doo.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2017&p=.htm

if not for that diabolical "superhero film fatigue," all 5 spots would be nailed down. 

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think price has a lot to do with it as well. It cost me $50 to see Spider-Man Homecoming. 

I think people think they can get a better deal just watching the movies at home on their big screen tvs with Netflix or Amazon Prime.

It is the same thing with sporting events as when I go see the Red Sox or Patriots play we are talking a minimum of me ponying up $500 for the game,while I could watch them on my big screen and order out for chicken wings and pizza at a much better price.

So I spent $50 to see Spider-Man makes me think next time just order on demand for $5.99 on Comcast.

I think I am not the only that feels this way about blockbuster movies and sporting events now.

You get a better deal staying at home.

It's simple you can sit in the comfort of your own home and don't have to worry about inconvenient distractions. Plus some people have a better at home system than the theaters for visual quality. 

20 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Uh....no.

Spider-man is Marvel's BIGGEST selling character. He makes more merchandising money for them than ALL of the other characters combined.

It stands to reason his MOVIES should be the biggest.

Kevin Feige: “Spider-Man is the biggest Marvel character. He is the jewel in the crown. Such an amazing icon. He’s a very different kind of hero because he is, quite simply, the greatest superhero of all-time.” 

Is Spidey 'Just fine'?

Yes. He's going to do well enough. But they expected a LOT more.

For the 'jewel in the crown' of Marvel to be doing HALF of what Wonder Woman was doing in the third week, says a lot. Wonder Woman did $40 Million in it's 3rd weekend, compared to Homecoming's $22 Million. Even GOTG2, the SEQUEL, did $34.5 Million.

Great opening. No legs. 

The reason this movie is not doing as well as it could have is because hardly anyone was asking for this film. The film itself was a critical success, but no one was begging for a a reboot, remake, or sequel.

Unlike Wonder Woman we had as a public been asking for that film for 20 years. Make a film that women in general want to see making it almost a 50/50 split for gender seeing the film is unusual.

19 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

The reason this movie is not doing as well as it could have is because hardly anyone was asking for this film. The film itself was a critical success, but no one was begging for a a reboot, remake, or sequel.

Unlike Wonder Woman we had as a public been asking for that film for 20 years. Make a film that women in general want to see making it almost a 50/50 split for gender seeing the film is unusual.

Same with the latest Planet of the Apes flick which is a critical success, but is even doing worst at box office than Spider-Man Homecoming. People just have so many different alternatives for entertainment that it will be hard for most future blockbuster movies to get to that 1 billion number.

I have also noticed that domestic numbers are way down for most blockbusters,so it will be interesting to see what Thor Ragnorak and Justice League pull in.

One movie though that should do good will be the upcoming new Star Wars movie.

See that is an event movie like the Super Bowl. We all want to see that.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

43 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Same with the latest Planet of the Apes flick which is a critical success, but is even doing worst at box office than Spider-Man Homecoming. People just have so many different alternatives for enterntainment that it will be hard for most future blockbuster movies to get to that 1 billion number.

I have also noticed that domestic numbers are way down for most blockbusters,so it will be interesting to see what Thor Ragnorak and Justice League pull in.

One movie though that should do good will be the upcoming new Star Wars movie.

See that is an event movie like the Super Bowl. We all want to see that.

I see 2 to 3 films a week in the theater, but those are mostly indie, foreign, and art films. The mainstream films bore me because it is a been there and seen that mentality. I liked the fresh John Hughes style take on the film, but Deadpool was the first comic film to take this direction.

Is it fresh if we are getting all these Comic films out in one year. It becomes a chore to watch them all of that is your intention. I felt I hit the wall last year in a marathon with Civil War. Sure a few films have been outliers like Wonder Woman, Deadpool, and Spider-Man. Yet what we end up with is an overcrowded market that makes the usual comic film nothing special. Films are just not performing well because in the long run we are not being given anything new or groundbreaking.

Then other factors as well come into play. If I go out to a film I usually spend enough to buy it outright on any home media format. Then factor a videophile like myself guarantees my at home system after calibration blows away picture wise what most theaters can provide. Then add in a sound system that provides great sound. If done right your at home system can blow away 90 percent of the theaters you can go to unless it is an IMAX or a theater like the Cine Capri super wide theater with Dolby Atmos installed