• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

I don't disagree with you at all. Heck everyone kept saying how new and fresh Superior Spider-Man was at the time. A villain taking over a hero was such a novel idea. Didn't Ock take over Spider-Man's mind in the Lee/Romita run?...

I read more Image books now than anything else. Invincible is by far my favorite super hero book. 

But super heroes are the entry into the hobby. Very few people get into comics with independents- although with TWD phenomenon that might be changing.

I just don't mind new takes on old stories. Heck, if we follow Campbell's thoughts on stories, nothing is really new in literature. 

Superior was far better than the Lee attempt at the same type of storyline.

1 hour ago, piper said:
2 hours ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

"nothing is really new in literature..."

I know your not necessarily espousing this belief, but I certainly believe this to be the case.

Didn't Shakespeare essentially borrow heavily from the Greek Tragedies?

quote-mediocre-writers-borrow-great-writ

As of Thursday's box office total. Japan will start to kick in next Friday.

egtwqTi.jpg

Remaining Release Schedule:

- Japan: 7 August 2017 (Tokyo premiere)

- Japan: 11 August 2017

- China: August 2017 (??)

2 hours ago, piper said:

I know your not necessarily espousing this belief, but I certainly believe this to be the case.

I like fresh takes on old themes, stories, and ideas. It keeps things fresh and if it makes things relatable to a newer generation, even better.

My kids see Dad's old masterworks volumes and yawn, but love his Ultimate Spidey TPBs...

My son was born in '92, but he was the exact opposite. He loved the classics. Never did care much for anything published from the 90's on. He said he found the artwork distracting to the story. 

The again he'd read Lord of the Rings and 2 Harry Potter novels by the time he was 8 or 9.

8 hours ago, ChrisInBaltimore said:

Having said that, I think modernizing stories is important. If you look at almost all literature that has lasted, much of it has been modernized and/or translated differently to reach the new generation. Very few people read something like Beowulf or Chaucer how it was originally written. Heck even No Fear has become a great tool for reaching the next generation. 

Very good point and here is a great example.

MV5BMWY3NTljMjEtYzRiMi00NWM2LTkzNjItZTVmZjE0MTdjMjJhL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQ4NTc5OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The above show has made Sherlock Holmes hip with the young crowd. Some would even argue this new interpretation of Holmes had made him cooler than Spider-Man and Batman with the millennials. Kind of like how the Doctor Who franchise has re-invented itself these last 10 years.

Yep, I am one of the biggest fans of the Sherlock Holmes canon, but it was the new version of Holmes that has made him a king again.

So I can see why Marvel has tried to update Spider-Man with their new movies.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Very good point and here is a great example.

MV5BMWY3NTljMjEtYzRiMi00NWM2LTkzNjItZTVmZjE0MTdjMjJhL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQ4NTc5OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The above show has made Sherlock Holmes hip with the young crowd. Some would even argue this new interpretation of Holmes had made him cooler than Spider-Man and Batman with the millennials. Kind of like how the Doctor Who franchise has re-invented itself these last 10 years.

Yep, I am one of the biggest fans of the Sherlock Holmes canon, but it was the new version of Holmes that has made him a king again.

So I can see why Marvel has tried to update Spider-Man with their new movies.

That show was brilliant! I never cared for the classic Doyle stories. I tried reading them...

The BBC version takes the essential elements and makes it relateable (sp.?) to a modern generation.

9 hours ago, piper said:

I like fresh takes on old themes, stories, and ideas. It keeps things fresh and if it makes things relatable to a newer generation, even better.

My kids see Dad's old masterworks volumes and yawn, but love his Ultimate Spidey TPBs...

Playwrights in general borrowed greatly on the Greeks and especially the tragedies.

During Shakespeare's time it was common for people to see a play and copy it down line for line- it's actually how many of Shakespeare's plays survived. There is a lot of evidence that Shakespeare stole a lot of his ideas and themes from his contemporaries. Even R&J is seemingly based on a poem. 

Heck in a lot of regards, Shakespeare was virtually the soap operas of his day. Elizabeth changed that though. 

FORBES.COM: 'Spider-Man' Swings Past 'Man Of Steel'

Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming earned around $8.8 million (-34%) on its fifth weekend for a $294.9m 31-day total. It will likely pass the $300m domestic milestone sometime next weekend. Once it gets past Skyfall ($304m in 2012 and in 2D), it will be Sony’s biggest domestic grosser since Spider-Man 3 ($336m in 2007 and sans 3D). Oh, and once it gets past $299.4m, it’ll have more than The Amazing Spider-Man ($262m in 2012) even adjusted for inflation. As predicted, the film has held up quite well following a nasty 62% second-weekend plunge by being the only game in town for live-action kid-friendly entertainment.

Much of what came out before/after the MCU reboot has been for older teens and/or adults. Much of the late July/early August fare (Atomic Blonde, Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, etc.) are outright R-rated movies and much of the other stuff (War for the Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk, The Dark Tower, Kidnap) doesn’t exactly scream “grab the kids and catch a Saturday matinee. Speaking of reboots, Spider-Man: Homecoming has now made more in North America than Man of Steel ($291 million in 2013), meaning it is the biggest-grossing straight reboot ever in North America.

I don’t have the overseas updates yet, but if it’s not over the $668 million cume of Man of Steel yet, it’s awfully close. Now the biggest-grossing straight reboot in global terms remains The Amazing Spider-Man with $757m in 2012, a figure that Spider-Man: Homecoming may well reach (it still has China and Japan on the docket).

FORBES.COM: 'Spider-Man' Swings Past 'Man Of Steel'

Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming earned around $8.8 million (-34%) on its fifth weekend for a $294.9m 31-day total. It will likely pass the $300m domestic milestone sometime next weekend. Once it gets past Skyfall ($304m in 2012 and in 2D), it will be Sony’s biggest domestic grosser since Spider-Man 3 ($336m in 2007 and sans 3D). Oh, and once it gets past $299.4m, it’ll have more than The Amazing Spider-Man ($262m in 2012) even adjusted for inflation. As predicted, the film has held up quite well following a nasty 62% second-weekend plunge by being the only game in town for live-action kid-friendly entertainment.

Much of what came out before/after the MCU reboot has been for older teens and/or adults. Much of the late July/early August fare (Atomic Blonde, Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, etc.) are outright R-rated movies and much of the other stuff (War for the Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk, The Dark Tower, Kidnap) doesn’t exactly scream “grab the kids and catch a Saturday matinee. Speaking of reboots, Spider-Man: Homecoming has now made more in North America than Man of Steel ($291 million in 2013), meaning it is the biggest-grossing straight reboot ever in North America.

I don’t have the overseas updates yet, but if it’s not over the $668 million cume of Man of Steel yet, it’s awfully close. Now the biggest-grossing straight reboot in global terms remains The Amazing Spider-Man with $757m in 2012, a figure that Spider-Man: Homecoming may well reach (it still has China and Japan on the docket).

it will be right around 300MM on thursday i suspect.  between the rest of the domestic run, and the already rolled out foreign markets, it should be a bit over 700MM int., without china and japan.  it'll be fun to see if those two get it over 800 when all is said and done.  i say yes, nothwithstanding the piracy obstacle in china.

7 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

but hey, the suit and Tony Stark are pretty cool

The origin story did not need to be revisited.  Heck, even my kids know it...

4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:
4 hours ago, piper said:

The origin story did not need to be revisited.  Heck, even my kids know it...

My point is the characters motivation 

Agree. We are expected to believe that Homecoming is set with Peter still at school and, therefore, both the origin event and Uncle Ben's death are in the very recent past. I don't recall any scene that even briefly revisited that pain, doubt and it's associated future motivation. Was there one and I missed it? If so, it couldn't have been that powerful or clear.  If not, that may explain why I found the whole thing so emotionally uninvolving.  

I know the back story as well as anyone. But in a 'fresh' portrayal, to not include some reference to the characters driving force makes the new actor's interpretation seem oddly trivial.

I may have to go and see the film again. I wanted so much to like it, and I hated it. I've seen things before that I hated on first showing and then grew to like. Whether Tobey or Garfield were well cast or not, I liked them and believed in them. I found Holland to be totally without depth.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

The reason they never visited it is because it never happened. There is no indication of it. I suspect they are saving that with the death of Tony Stark

That's absolutely preposterous Hector.  So it will probably happen.