• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

Episode 1 starts slow.

Episode 2, it picks up once he reveals his true powers.

Episode 3, it truly takes off. Especially with the threats to the community.

Like Grails noted, it has a 70's vibe about it. And it doesn't stray far from the themes of urban turmoil due to those from the same neighborhood feeding off of their own people, and Luke Cage working to at least protect his adopted community. So no massive enemy threat to the world. Though they also reference the events of the Avengers saving the world through their New York sky fight (which then at times takes you out of that 70's atmosphere).

The music throughout also does a solid job of keeping you feeling the pains of the community, though it also bounces you between the 70's and 80's. But as you progress into the later episodes, they seem to focus on bosses, heartache and overcoming the challenges of life. The acts doing a demo in the club for Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes from episode to episode seems to fit the theme of the episode, which I like.

I think it is a good show. For me, not as great as Daredevil. But good enough to keep the Netflix/Marvel Universe rolling forward. Luke Cage mentions some things I never realized before.

1) He was a police officer before imprisonment.

2) He's not from New York. He's originally from Savannah, Georgia. He just landed in NY after prison.

LUKE CAGE Showrunner Cheo Coker Says The Netflix Series Represents Community Power

When asked by CBR at the show's red carpet premiere what the most important takeaway for audiences was, showrunner Cheo Coker emphasized the feeling of community. "Community power. The fact that people have the opportunity to be heroes amongst themselves. Because what Luke Cage does is he’s reluctant about being a hero, but then once he does take the community on his back, he changes things for the better. But, at the same time, because we are kind of telling a Western story, he has to deal with his past. He has to deal with his connection to his past. He’s really trying his best to get along, but at the same time he has obstacles. It’s really classic storytelling, but because of the music and because of the twists we have, it’s just really a fun way to go about things."

He also hits on the music theme.

"When I pitched the show, I didn’t want to just pitch one story, I wanted to pitch an arc. And so, I kinda used an old trick from my hip-hop journalism days where when you were trying to title an article, you would take a song and use that as kind of like a cover line or a way to title your article. Gang Starr songs resonated with power in terms of the titles, and also Shonda Rhimes — because I’m a huge “Grey’s Anatomy” fan — also, each episode is named after a popular song. And so it was kind of a playful way to tell a story. And then it was interesting because when you take the title, you can extrapolate and it fits a certain theme."

12 minutes into the first episode and I don't know if I can continue. Worst. Acting. Ever.

I was worried about Colter being able to handle a season in his own, and yes he's truly awful, but I think some of the supporting characters are waaaaay worse. Yeeesh.

I wouldn't give up on it. That would be too quick a decision. I'm through episode 4 and it leaps forward in interest and quality in Ep 2 and again in 4.

My wife and I muscled through the first 2 episodes but still undecided whether or not to continue. I can't recall a show with worse acting. Colter's crying scene had me in tears....tears of laughter. I really don't want to miss out on plot points that could be important for Jessica Jones season 2 or the Defenders, but this show is painful to watch.

I feel like a horrible person, but I was relieved when Pops died because I couldn't stand another minute of him. I bit my tongue during for the moments of bad acting in Daredevil because I'm a diehard fan, but this show is on another level. Remy Denten is the only thing that isn't cringe worthy lol

Episode 1 starts slow.

Episode 2, it picks up once he reveals his true powers.

Episode 3, it truly takes off. Especially with the threats to the community.

Like Grails noted, it has a 70's vibe about it. And it doesn't stray far from the themes of urban turmoil due to those from the same neighborhood feeding off of their own people, and Luke Cage working to at least protect his adopted community. So no massive enemy threat to the world. Though they also reference the events of the Avengers saving the world through their New York sky fight (which then at times takes you out of that 70's atmosphere).

The music throughout also does a solid job of keeping you feeling the pains of the community, though it also bounces you between the 70's and 80's. But as you progress into the later episodes, they seem to focus on bosses, heartache and overcoming the challenges of life. The acts doing a demo in the club for Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes from episode to episode seems to fit the theme of the episode, which I like.

I think it is a good show. For me, not as great as Daredevil. But good enough to keep the Netflix/Marvel Universe rolling forward. Luke Cage mentions some things I never realized before.

1) He was a police officer before imprisonment.

2) He's not from New York. He's originally from Savannah, Georgia. He just landed in NY after prison.

Oh, and the traditional outfit from the old days...

luke-cage-origin-202874.jpg

...does appear in Episode 4. Though briefly.

I feel like I'm in the minority. The missus and I watched the first episode last night and both enjoyed it. I didn't have any problems with the acting or writing. I especially liked that it wasn't as heavy, angst ridden and dark as Daredevil or Jessica Jones, and also that the extreme violence was toned down a little.

I feel like I'm in the minority. The missus and I watched the first episode last night and both enjoyed it. I didn't have any problems with the acting or writing. I especially liked that it wasn't as heavy, angst ridden and dark as Daredevil or Jessica Jones, and also that the extreme violence was toned down a little.

We watched episode 1 last night and I thought it was OK, but my husband said he was done. I had no problem with the acting, it's not Macbeth, it's a comic...and Colter is very pretty...but it's too dark. Everything is dark and it's going to put me to sleep.

I'll watch the next ones, but my husband said he had enough, and he loved Jessica Jones.

I don't know if it's just that Jessica Jones left such a putrid taste in my mouth that it is influencing my impression of this , but Cage is looking like another poor-to-middling effort so far and the Marvel/Netlfix cooperation is looking increasingly like a one hit wonder (Daredevil, Season 1).

-J.

i thought the first episode was great. loved the acting, the music, etc. the only thing that made me smh was dude taking the money, then not disappearing, and getting himself killed, but other than that, i'm all in

Edited by Hawkman

Looks like Luke Cage broke Netflix.

Netflix Goes Down Just As Luke Cage Goes Up

We have terrible news, folks: Netflix is down.

The timing isn’t ideal either, given the much-anticipated Luke Cage literally just dropped last night. The outage started sometime around 3:00 PM EST and seems to be affecting users everywhere.

It looks like some users are still able to access Netflix from their smartphones and tablets, but you can forget about watching from your desktop or TV, at least for now.

:ohnoez:

I'm up to episode 4 and not loving this series. If it wasn't for all the raving Daredevil got, I don't think I would even bother with these Marvel/Netflix shows since Jessica Jones was also meh.

Edited by rjrjr

I'm on episode 2. The dialogue is fantastic in this episode, and smart, while paying tribute to some of the best writers of the day.

Definitely in the minority around here I guess as I was fully expecting not to enjoy it, but am thus far. And the acting is fine. Mahershala Ali was great in House of Cards and is great, IMO, in this.

I'm on episode 2. The dialogue is fantastic in this episode, and smart, while paying tribute to some of the best writers of the day.

Definitely in the minority around here I guess as I was fully expecting not to enjoy it, but am thus far. And the acting is fine. Mahershala Ali was great in House of Cards and is great, IMO, in this.

the only difference between us is a WAS expecting to like it, but just like you, i love it.

Luke Cage Includes An Iron Fist Easter Egg

In the season finale of Luke Cage, fans find Claire Temple walking the streets of Harlem. The nurse, who fans first met in Daredevil, has had a rough time after she was involved in a hostage situation with Shades at Harlem’s Paradise. Feeling beaten, Claire stops her walk when she comes across a flyer advertising martial arts and self-defense classes. And, naturally, those classes are fun by none other than Colleen Wing - a close ally to Iron Fist.

screen-shot-2016-10-02-at-12-47-35-pm-203090.png

If you’re not familiar with Colleen Wing, no worries! The character debuted in Marvel Premiere #19 and was born in Japan. Her family was closely connected to samurai, and Wing was taught in their ways after her mother passed. While she has no natural superpowers, the warrior is a skilled swordsman and has mastered the lost arts of the samurai.

Clearly, Claire Temple could learn a thing or two about kicking butt when it comes to Colleen Wing. Temple is likely tired of having her vigilante friend’s rescue her from unsavory situations, so the nurse might be bringing more skills to the Defenders when the series eventually premieres.

Got through the first episode - I didn't think it was all that good. A lot of great actors who suffered from a lack of strong writing and horrible pacing. Pretty choppy. I'll keep watching though. I wasn't a big fan of Jessica Jones.

:gossip: Westworld premieres tonight on HBO.

I'm only on episode 8, but this show isn't great. I'd quit but I feel compelled to just finish it incase it has background info important to some future show.

Well I finished it. Wow, they go full potato in the end. Worst show I ever forced myself to sit through. In fact I've quit watching better shows.

:facepalm: