• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LUKE CAGE on Netflix
2 2

383 posts in this topic

He was in prison & ended up as part of a super soldier program experiment & it didn't succeed (though like many of the other iterations of the different "replicate the Super Soldier Serum" projects, it created a superhero. Just not another Cap)

that's about the extent of my knowledge of Luke's origin.

He was in prison & ended up as part of a super soldier program experiment & it didn't succeed (though like many of the other iterations of the different "replicate the Super Soldier Serum" projects, it created a superhero. Just not another Cap)

That is really cool! I didn't realize the Super Soldier backstory. Thanks!

By the way, did anyone catch the headband and wristbands?

luke-cage-netflix-power-man-costume-easter-egg-193998.jpg

Yeah. There were a handful of "let's replicate the super soldier serum" projects that have created superheroes. Isiah Bradley. Luke Cage. American Kaiju. And a handful of others. Most of them though have been retconned in over the past 20 years or so. I think only Luke Cage's experiment was actually stated from the beginning to have been an attempt to recreate the process (or to achieve similar results even if it involved a different method)

+1 Sweet Christmas. I wasn't looking forward much till this trailer.

That breaking out of the tank is exactly how I remember the first story.

Also, I vaguely recall Tony Stark put together the experiment, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear references.

Kind of wondering about Night Nurse (Rosario Dawson) being a major player in this one. At the end of JJ, she had not known of LC prior to that meeting. So I wonder if all of her appearances here take place after that event, timeline wise. That would mean all of the prior backstory would be flashbacks only. I'd be surprised if they didn't take that detail into consideration.

Then we have Iron Fist appearing in 70s duds / milieu. Really wonder how they stitch together the timeline. hm

LUKE CAGE Producer Talks The Show's Relevance And Grounded Setting

Jeph Loeb talked about the show's relevance and how it's grounded in reality.

"There are some obvious differences in the sense that we’re talking about really the first African-American superhero that comes from the street and lives in that world. When we started there, we said, ‘What is that physically going to look like?’ We really looked hard into the practicality of shooting up in Harlem… places like the Apollo, places that are so rich in terms of culture, in terms of the ethnic quality, what [showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker] and I always refer to as the musicality of that area, is what set the tone."

"You can’t set out to do ‘Luke Cage’ and not deal with the reality of what’s going on in this country, and what’s going on in general. It’s not what the show’s about, but if we can get our message out, which is, ‘This is all one planet, and we’re going to have figure it out’ — you just can’t put up walls and try to figure it out that way. On ‘Jessica Jones,’ you were seeing Luke through Jessica’s POV… Now you’re going to get to see him with his friends, with his worlds, with what’s going on. Detective Misty Knight is in that show, and Simone Missick is just killing it."