• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What buy did you give someone else that you now wish you'd never done?

47 posts in this topic

I had two Hulk #1's. the first was well...ok...it was restored in 7.0 but was one of my first BIG purchases back in the early '00s.

but my real 'regret' if you want to succinctly categorize this thread was my IH #1 7.5 [restored, I'm not a billionaire...lol] I'm sure it got resubbed as a higher grade. and even if not, it's worth 3x now. :censored:

a beautiful copy...deep strike with perfect reg. I'll post a pic with a tear soon. doh!

be honest...what's the one book you wished you'd never parted with?

I sold a stack of books for cheap to a co worker about 1987

GSX 1, Nova 1 MsMarvel 1 etc

My virginity.... She was so rough... And the teeth...OH THE TEETH!!!!!

....also I sold a Harley Quinn #1 Hughes variant 9.8 SS x 3... And I missed it so much I bought a blue label 9.6. :(

Went to a boardie so she got a good home.

Zeck Captain America page as a gift to a former friend for his birthday. An almost 20 year old friendship (we were friends as toddlers) soured due to him doing something stupid. It has been almost 14 years since we have spoken and to this day, I would rather have the Zeck page back than the friendship.

...what's the one book you wished you'd never parted with?

One of my 2 near mint OO NM #98s- Sold for something like $125 here on the boards. Fair price at the time, but I wish wish wish I didn't do it.

FF #52 Sold to the same buyer.

Not a book but I gave a multi-signed Minnesota Viking team picture from the mid-70's to a friend because I knew he would appreciate it. Signed by Grant, Tarkenton, Hub Meeds (this is the tall man dressed as a Viking mascot), Jim Finks, you name it.

Friend's house burned down a couple of years ago and it was lost in fire. If no fire, no regrets.

I bought the first 30 issues of the Walking Dead off of the shelf each Wednesday it was released.

It got super hot, and I ended up selling them back to the store for what I thought was a large amount of store credit.

I enjoyed the story, but wasn't in love with it, and that's how I rationalized it.

Well, I obviously lost out on that one...

And what's even funnier, is that I NEVER sell things! Even back then. Hell, my whole life! And when I finally did, that is what happened. Suffice to say, I still don't sell anything but the occasional undercopy to a fellow Boardie, and even that is a rare occurrence.

I do still read WD, and caught up with the two Compendiums that were released.But now and again I think about what might have been.... :sick::cry:

Sold a sketch cover that I really shouldn't have to fund an OA purchase. I know, it's just a sketch cover - but this one was done in 1995, and I cherished it (along with some other 1990s-era books I was nostalgic over). It went to a similar collector, and I still keep in touch hoping that someday he'll sell, and I'll be able to get it back. :wishluck:

Give away my Avengers 1 in the boards Xmas exchange along with a few dozen more cool SA and GA.

Don't really regret the giving away part but now I don't have an Avengers 1 and I'd like one again :lol:

Not a thing. I've sold a few books cheap right before they blew up and I hope the people that bought them turn around and sell them for a big profit or hold them and are psyched about it.

Because I know when I buy something cheap and it goes up, I don't feel bad about doing so.

No one forces anything to sell anything. We all do it willingly.

Now that being said? There was this one time..... lol

Sold my ratty copy of Avengers #1 for around $150. Sure I earned a little profit on it but when all the Marvel movies started hitting a few years later it became impossible to find a 1.0-1.5 copy for anywhere close to that price.

Also collected Giant Size X-Men #1 for awhile so I gave away extra copies to friends (kept 3 copies for myself, maybe gave away 4 copies), and even gave an Iron Man #55 to a friend who was a Thanos fan for free (coverless, but still free and good condition). This was around 1998 or so (including the Avengers issue)

So yeah...not really regrets but would not do such things again in the current market place / movie climate.

All raw, so it's possible there was resto I didn't see:

5.0 B&B for $750 in late 2006/early 2007. I hurt myself by not getting that one slabbed.

4.0 Strange Tales 110 for like $180 or $200, I think on these boards to someone probably 6-7 years ago. That's what they were going for.

2.5 Tales of Suspense 39 for $600, also around late 2006

Those three are probably the chunkiest "should have held on" examples I can think of.

I've made a lot of selling mistakes over the years. Granted, on all of the above I had at least doubled my money, with the last two being tripling, so I can't cry too much.

And 10 Saga 1s for $300 to a boardie. By the time I had packed them and he had received them by media mail they were $100 books and up on the board they went at that price! (In all fairness, they could have been $10 books by the time he got them, such was the market). Of course, that was the best price I got for a Saga 1. I sold at least 20 other copies before that for $10-$20 each. I had a ton of them and figured I needed to unload them before they crashed.

Oh yes, easy 9.8 copies of Walking Dead 9 and 10 on the board here for cover price, maybe a little less. They were $7-10 on ebay, but I just didn't feel like going through the hassle for some reason. I think i put them up here for $3.50 with no nibbles and had to lower the price!