• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man 2 more important to the Marvel Cinematic Universe than first thought

45 posts in this topic

I really need to catch up on my Marvel movies. I've never seen any of the ASM movies, didn't see S-M 3. Never seen IM 2 or 3. Haven't seen a one of the Thor movies. Haven't seen CA:Winter Soldier. Only Hulk movie was the Eric Bana one. No GotG.

I know I have seen The Avengers, but I don't remember a thing about it.

Saddest one (personally) was the first Captain America - I went with this girl I was staying the week with, and... let's just say it is a bad idea to take a comic-book geek to a CBM if you'd rather not actually watch the movie. I got "shut out" later that night... and it was her idea to see CA! She knew my comic-bookishness!!!

:lol:

-slym

You really haven't seen any of these movies?

I mean... Really?

I rewatched Iron Man 2 recently, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was almost like it got better after Iron Man 3 came out.

Both Iron Man 2 and Captain America 1 seemed to work better for me when I watched them on my home system on Blu-ray a few times, rather than the first large screen viewing at the cinema. I like the darker feel of IM 2, compared to the sometimes-forced humour of the third film.

I really need to catch up on my Marvel movies. I've never seen any of the ASM movies, didn't see S-M 3. Never seen IM 2 or 3. Haven't seen a one of the Thor movies. Haven't seen CA:Winter Soldier. Only Hulk movie was the Eric Bana one. No GotG.

Saddest one (personally) was the first Captain America - I went with this girl I was staying the week with, and... let's just say it is a bad idea to take a comic-book geek to a CBM if you'd rather not actually watch the movie. I got "shut out" later that night... and it was her idea to see CA! She knew my comic-bookishness!!!

-slym

I mean... Really?

These Marvel movies are probably still why I`m still interested in comic books.

I was totally out between 1994 until 2005.

The Marvel comic book movies brought me back and maintained my interest.

In fact I consider the Marvel Cinematic Universe to now be the main universe, while the current comic book universe just a big what if story. :o

One thing that the Marvel Cinematic Universe got going for it is it`s fun like the original Star Wars Trilogy.

An epic adventure. :cloud9:

-slym

I mean... Really?

In fact I consider the Marvel Cinematic Universe to now be the main universe, while the comic book universe just a big what if story. :o

One thing that the Marvel Cinematic Universe got going for it is it`s fun like the original Star Wars Trilogy.

+1

-slym

I mean... Really?

In fact I consider the Marvel Cinematic Universe to now be the main universe, while the comic book universe just a big what if story. :o

+1

+To

I mean... Really?

Really.

Of course, you are talking to a man who owns movies, bought new upon release, that has never watched them. Movies such as "Lost In Translation", "The Last Samurai", etc.

:shrug:

-slym

I mean... Really?

Really.

Of course, you are talking to a man who owns movies, bought new upon release, that has never watched them. Movies such as "Lost In Translation", "The Last Samurai", etc.

-slym

You need a nice marathon weeked.

I literally just watched Iron Man 2 the other day and was thinking the same thing as the OP. IM 2 is a good movie, and I never understood some of the hate for it. For the Marvel Universe it is the first Superhero Team-up movie (IM, WM, BW) that introduces the future events we see now with Nicky Fury/Shield to the Avenges.

Of course it is not as good as the first Iron Man, however what do you expect? (shrug) Most origin stories are tough to beat. It is rare a sequel beats the original movie and I can only name 3 (Empire & Aliens & T2). I will give people IM 3 wasn't very good and essentially is the only Marvel movie so far I think number one was terrible and number 2 you don't need to see it in the context of the story-line lineage of the Marvel cinematic universe that show any kind of meaningful future events. IM 3 was a true Disney "kids movie." I am sure IM 4 will be much better.

IDK I guess now after seeing how Marvel's movie phases have unfolded IM 2 is actually a very important movie of future plot points.

I too re-visited Iron Man 2 when it was loaded on Netflix last year.

My opinion didn't change, although I like Mickey Rourke I didn't think he had a whole lot to do with the character given. The Stark off the rails angle just didn't come natural, the film really suffered with Rhodey being recast as Terrence Howard owned that role in the first film. The end fight with War Machine/Iron Man Vs Rourke lasted of all 45 seconds, a lot more thought could have gone into that. Sam Rockwell was a bit of a throwaway character as well.

Its still a very average film at best that doesn't merit repeat viewings.

Obviously no where near as good as Iron Man but hey at least his suit stayed in one piece and it wasn't up to a sweat pant wearing Pepper Potts to save the day.

My opinion didn't change, although I like Mickey Rourke I didn't think he had a whole lot to do with the character given. The Stark off the rails angle just didn't come natural, the film really suffered with Rhodey being recast as Terrence Howard owned that role in the first film. The end fight with War Machine/Iron Man Vs Rourke lasted of all 45 seconds, a lot more thought could have gone into that. Sam Rockwell was a bit of a throwaway character as well.

Obviously no where near as good as Iron Man but hey at least his suit stayed in one piece and it wasn't up to a sweat pant wearing Pepper Potts to save the day.

lol Is this what people get all stressed about.

Stress, what stress?

I thought during our last group session we agreed it was ok for other people to dislike films that you enjoyed. :baiting:

Stress, what stress?

I thought during our last group session we agreed it was ok for other people to dislike films that you enjoyed. :baiting:

I've ever known anybody spend as much time talking about something they didn't like. lol

I mean... Really?

Really.

I don't have Netflix or any of those subscription services, so I have no way to get the movies so I can watch them.

-slym

I mean... Really?

Really.

I don't have Netflix or any of those subscription services, so I have no way to get the movies so I can watch them.

-slym

I don't have netflix or cable myself. I just tend to buy them on Blu or DVD. Some boardies know I have it down to an affordable science. lol I've had Game of Thrones for years and still haven't opened one season up to watch yet. Never watched a Harry Potter either, yet I own all of them. lol

But, I think you'll really enjoy a Marvel movie marathon if you are able to pick them up on the cheap or something. Even the lesser ones.