• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If You Came Across a Copy of New Adventure Comics #26 .......

Pick One:  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One:

98 posts in this topic

You forgot "Buy it and sell it to Ian for what you paid." That's what most of the people here would do. I wouldn't just let it sit there at the LCS for fear that someone else would grab it, and I also wouldn't trust Ian to call the dealer and not create such a fuss that the dealer either (a) realizes how rare it is and decides to stick it on ebay where someone would snipe Ian at the last minute, or (b) realizes how rare it is and jacks up the price to DTACOLL levels. 27_laughing.gif

That's a good point yourself, Scott. If I were to come across it in a comic book store, I'd better handle it myself rather than give the store info to Ian. I could just imagine the call that the hypothetical comic dealer would get: "Hello, I'm calling from England. Is this the store that has a copy of New Adventure # 26?!?"

foreheadslap.gif

You forgot "Buy it and sell it to Ian for what you paid." That's what most of the people here would do. I wouldn't just let it sit there at the LCS for fear that someone else would grab it, and I also wouldn't trust Ian to call the dealer and not create such a fuss that the dealer either (a) realizes how rare it is and decides to stick it on ebay where someone would snipe Ian at the last minute, or (b) realizes how rare it is and jacks up the price to DTACOLL levels. 27_laughing.gif

That's a good point yourself, Scott. If I were to come across it in a comic book store, I'd better handle it myself rather than give the store info to Ian. I could just imagine the call that the hypothetical comic dealer would get: "Hello, I'm calling from England. Is this the store that has a copy of New Adventure # 26?!?"

foreheadslap.gif

Ian might be subtle. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

( stooges.gif)

By the way, my tounge-in-cheek answer to this question:

...I'd be s¢rewed if it was ever graded under a blacklight.

tongue.gif

No you wouldn't. Ian would STILL pay a premium for it. 27_laughing.gif

tongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I couldn't even begin to imagine what type of situation would have lead to such an event.

The whole Dave Alexander thing is repugnant. I spent Saturday afternoon with Marc Nathan, who got a bunch of cool new books in. One of them was a New Adventure 24, and we were talking about what a dealer should do if he finds the New Adventure 26. We both agreed that you'd sell it to Ian, but Ian should fly to get it, and you'd get a nice little Buyer's Guide article about it. Free publicity for dealer, Ian gets his props, etc. etc. Alexander is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person - sell it to Ian for Guide, have him fly to you, get pictures taken and voila. You get massive publicity, and all is good.

I was thinking the same thing. thumbsup2.gif

Happy Bithday Donut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay.gifheadbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

tongue.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I couldn't even begin to imagine what type of situation would have lead to such an event.

confused-smiley-013.gif

1_4_62.gif

"Ohhhhhh, honey! Look at this comic! I know... *I'll* be the giant attacking bird, and *you'll* be the Indian with the big knife!"

88_4_26.jpg

Most likely, I could not afford to buy a copy of NA 26, so I chose #1. I'd just tell him where he could find it. However, if it was a case where I would have to buy it in order to get it to Ian (like a garage sale or something) then I'd do what I could to buy it. If I had to buy it, I would ask Ian to reimburse me for the book plus shipping. I can't afford to give away my money, but I wouldn't feel right charging him a premium.

Bottom line -- I like Ian. I would love to happen upon an affordable copy and get it to him however I could.

-- Joanna

Man, what a question! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My answer has certainly changed from just a year ago. devil.gif

If I could afford to pick the book up, I'd get it and see if Ian would trade me some of his dupes (as others have said) or just pay me what I paid for it. If I couldn't afford it, I'd let Ian know about it.

And, if it was cheap enough (say under $100), I'd probably just give it to him as a present w/out asking for anything.

I'd have to go the trade route or maybe a plane ticket to the Old Country and I'd cheerfully deliver it. Be a shame to have to come by myself though and the wife hates to sleep in the park.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Could Ian get my wife a visit with the Royal Family?

I'd either try to make a little money off it, or see if Ian would be willing to trade a ton of his duplicates for it. And of course, I'd insist on a byline whenever anything was ever written about him completing his collection. smile.gif "I'll be your Bob Kane, huckleberry..." smile.gif

I'd sell it to him at FMV. No insane gouging, but not for less than anyone else would get it for. I like Ian, but I also like alot of other people who dont get massive discounts on the best books I pick up.

> Alexander is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person

A good friend of mine has an eBay feedback record of 352-1; he got the

one negative from DTA. Alexander sold him a set of pretty expensive books,

one of which turned out to be missing a page. DTA refused polite requests

to take the book back and when my friend finally left a negative explaining

what happened, he got a negative in return. I have done lots of business with

the buyer and he is a genuintely nice and honest collector that I'd highly

recommend to anyone. On the other hand, I would never buy a book from

dtacollectbles after the way he treated my friend.

> Alexander is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person

A good friend of mine has an eBay feedback record of 352-1; he got the

one negative from DTA. Alexander sold him a set of pretty expensive books,

one of which turned out to be missing a page. DTA refused polite requests

to take the book back and when my friend finally left a negative explaining

what happened, he got a negative in return. I have done lots of business with

the buyer and he is a genuintely nice and honest collector that I'd highly

recommend to anyone. On the other hand, I would never buy a book from

dtacollectbles after the way he treated my friend.

I've heard nothing but negative word of mouth from folks I know who've bought comics from DTA. I'll confess I've bought a few pulps from him, and was pleased, but with the pulp market "beater/low grade" is pretty much the norm, so I wasn't disappointed with what I paid for. However, I've heard he's a rampant overgrader when it comes to comics, and from the scans I've seen on ebay, I'd have to agree. Some of those "solid VGs" look like they're just barely fair copies. tongue.gif