• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2021 at 9:45 PM, mec3437 said:

IDW reportedly to lose Transformers license

TL:DR version is IDW and Hasbro will reportedly not be renewing the license for Transformers comics, and GI Joe as well.  No word on when the license ends but I would imagine next year some time.  No word/rumor on a new publisher or if there will be a new publisher.  I'll be honest, I used to look forward to reading TF every month, but the excitement isn't always there.  If it does end, IDW had a solid run, especially with Last Stand of the Wreckers, More than Meets the Eye/Lost Light, '84 Secrets & Lies, and several other stories.  Hopefully there will be a real conclusion to any storylines that are ongoing.  

Saw this the other day:
https://comicbook.com/comics/news/robert-kirkman-skybound-transformers-gi-joe-comics-license/

It's confirmed that IDW is losing the license. We all knew it anyway, but it's nice to have it confirmed confirmed. I can't believe I'm actually so nonplussed about it, actually a little excited. Never would have thought that, yet here we are.. 

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/01/20/confirmed-idw-to-lose-transformers-gi-joe-license-at-end-of-2022-448763

It's bittersweet.  I'll admit that when IDW picked up the license, I still had a bad taste from Dreamwave being dirt balls.  There were two moments that got me back into reading and collecting comics.  2000, when I was in high school and picked up Garth Ennis' first issue of Punisher, and 2005 when IDW started with Transformers.  I didn't always collect or read with regularity, especially when it came time to paying rent or buying new comics.  As the years went on, however, I was able to fill in some gaps, and when I started having more disposable income, then I went full bore into it.  IDW published some of my favorite Transformers stories, but it was becoming clear that the engine was starting to run on fumes.  Towards the end of the initial continuity, it was getting a little too convoluted.  Hasbro getting involved is normal, but I was getting tired of constantly crossing over with other toys.  I was excited when the new continuity started in 2019.  I'm at least seven issues behind on the main series, haven't yet finished Escape, and haven't even started on King Grimlock or Wreckers: Tread & Circuits.  The main series felt like it wanted to be a political thriller but the thrills weren't always there.  Every time it felt like it was picking up the pace, it started to meander off again and that's probably why I haven't bothered to get caught up reading it.  I got pulled back in with the '84 storyline.  It was great getting a Simon Furman-penned story again.  I did add War's End to my pull list.  I think it's all force of habit at this point.

I do hope that whoever is awarded the license has some fresh ideas while sticking to the basic concepts of the Transformers.  I don't know if I'll be picking up anything after IDW's run ends but never say never.  

I agree with you both Mecha_Fantastic and mec3437. I feel the IDW continuity truly ended with the Unicron Series. This new universe... I keep waiting for it to be good. The Constructicons arc in Galaxies was enjoyable. Guess the waiting can end and the wake begin. I will be disappointed that Beast Wars will not continue as I have been enjoying the story thus far. :wishluck: the next publisher does great things!

I'm concentrating on finishing up my IDW hardcover collection before they go out of print. Only three books left on Phase 1 & 2, then need Phase 3, and the new stuff, which I haven't even read. I'm hoping that the new licensor will give us new hardcovers of the Marvel stuff (G.I. Joe as well.) They're long overdue.

Transformers: Last Bot Standing

Looks like (another) new mini series in May from EJ Su and Nick Roche, so there is some potential :)

IDW looks like they could be trying to tie up their TF universe in a neat package before the license goes bye bye.  

b71f6732-bbbd-45f7-ba92-5ced50a5740c-ima

Edited by mec3437
Add picture

On 3/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, mec3437 said:

Looks like (another) new mini series in May from EJ Su and Nick Roche, so there is some potential :)

IDW looks like they could be trying to tie up their TF universe in a neat package before the license goes bye bye.  

Interesting. Trying to get some of that Last Ronin mojo going, maybe?

On 3/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, mec3437 said:

I like it, giving us a final story kind of like the final page or two of ReGeneration One did? The previews for this gave more of a silhouette than the cover does, looks perhaps like the final bot from ReGeneration?

Also, while listening to the Transmissions podcast they mentioned that there would be another as yet not announced final mini series that would finish up their current storyline. I feel like that will end up being more of a rushed story since they seem to have been dragging out this 2.0 universe story way too much, Although I will admit the past 6 issues or so have been better.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:06 PM, JBrown said:

Also, while listening to the Transmissions podcast they mentioned that there would be another as yet not announced final mini series that would finish up their current storyline. I feel like that will end up being more of a rushed story since they seem to have been dragging out this 2.0 universe story way too much, Although I will admit the past 6 issues or so have been better.

War's End has been on my pull list, and #1 was added last week I guess.  I'm still at issue #31 in the main series and as methodical/slow/whatever words we choose to use to describe it, I can definitely see that future mini series rushing to tie off loose ends.  I have the last couple issues of Escape, and all of King Grimlock, Wreckers: Tread & Circuits, and Shattered Glass to go.  I got sidetracked over the summer so new issues from the pull list have been piling up and I haven't been that motivated to read through the TF stuff.  Once I start, it will go quick, but I'm a bit lost on what was happening before.  Oops.  

Could be a silly thought but since Shattered Glass ended on a cliffhanger, any chance IDW concludes it before losing the license?  My gut feeling is no but wouldn't be surprised if IDW tries to milk the property a little bit more.

Edit: a quick Google search returns nothing past the initial five issues.

Edited by mec3437
Added words

On 4/10/2022 at 6:43 PM, mec3437 said:

Could be a silly thought but since Shattered Glass ended on a cliffhanger, any chance IDW concludes it before losing the license?  My gut feeling is no but wouldn't be surprised if IDW tries to milk the property a little bit more.

That answers that.  

The Twisted World of Transformers: Shattered Glass Explodes with New Sequel Series from IDW

Looks like August 2022 is the start time.  Cover solicits for #1 so far.  Hasbro Pulse will have exclusive covers paired with toys as well.  

SGII_1a.JPG

SGII_1b.JPG

SGII_1ri.JPG

Transformers: Fate of Cybertron One Shot to come out on June 29.

"The thrilling conclusion to the saga that started in Transformers (2019) #1! The Decepticons have the upper hand. Cybertron is falling. And Optimus Prime has an imploder-possibly the most dangerous Cybertronian-built weapon in history-to his head. This is the Autobots last stand. But what does triumph look like in a desperate situation? The War for Cybertron may end here, but the Autobots and Decepticons aren't done yet!"

Their words, not mine.  This flew under my radar for some odd reason.  

Cover art for Fate of Cybertron + an Online Exclusive to Last Bot Standing #1.

STL226499.jpg

TFS-2022-FOC-002.jpg

TFS-2022-FOC-001.jpg

LBS_OE.JPG

Has Last Bot Standing started yet? If so, is it any good? I've totally fallen away from new Transformers comics, sad to say. I'm eagerly looking forward to the handover. 

On 6/24/2022 at 7:36 AM, Cat said:

Has Last Bot Standing started yet? If so, is it any good? I've totally fallen away from new Transformers comics, sad to say. I'm eagerly looking forward to the handover. 

I agree with @JBrown.  I'm intrigued to see where it is going.  It started a little slow and then shifted gears.  I don't want to say I like it yet, but I'm getting there.  

Interesting. I might pick it up. It'd be nice to have some new TF to read. 

I'm trade-waiting Last Bot, as I don't buy many modern floppies anymore. Would rather have it on the bookshelf. Trying to avoid spoilers until then, but definitely looking forward to reading it!

I did happen to finish the main TF series and the War's End mini series.  Both deal with a different aspect of the end of the war before the start of the next big war and compared to how Phantom Meance-like the 2019 continuity began, I felt IDW has managed to make it interesting.  Not much left to finish off the deal before the license goes bye bye.