• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Cons vs Small Cons

41 posts in this topic

Which do you prefer? (shrug)

Big cons, definitely - when they're done well, like in The Sting, they are SOOOO much better than that Three Card Monte kinda stuff.

Big Cons for me. I seem to be able to find much more that I need.

That said, I have a habit in that I reach out to Bob Storms or Dale Roberts prior to a big show and "pre-order" some of my more expensive books. It's a level of trust and making sure I get something on my list. I trust both and respect their grading skills. Great to do business with.

I like small cons as it allows the dealers bring in more low-value books since the rates for renting tables is much cheaper. I get to find great deals in there.

And for the Big Cons - yeah, more cosplay (what else but fun to watch around), more different themes. And good time to meet old or new folks and friends there. Plus, try score a big key or a few little keys. Oh, and have a good time in long distance trips!

There seems to be deals to be had at either big cons or small cons but I'd probably pick small cons from buying. Large cons have some other stuff to do when you need a break buying books.

Smaller cons you do get cheaper books. Sometimes it sucks for dealers though. Small cons=table costs are lower which means every dealer is there and you price you table books at the lowest price possible. Like 25 cents or 2 for 25 cents. Indiana had cheap tables and a dude was blowing books out at 50 for $10. After the show, i think i saw that he sold through 4 or so long boxes. So just on the table books he made $200. Paying $800+ for 2 booths and only selling $200 of table books cant be good.

More and more, the bigger cons seem like a hassle. They are usually more expensive, require longer travel time and are stupid crowded.

I'd rather shop a smaller show and buy bigger books online. The drawback of the smaller show is that usually the creators don't do them.

I like small cons. Few reasons are cheap admissions, it can be done in few hours in one day, free parking and less distractions. Few nice finding books but no pressure at all.

Large cons. Overpriced admissions (no thanks to the union), it is usually pressure to get it done in one day so I need one extra day (it is cheaper to buy the three day pass), no free parking, unnecessary long lines, weird and ruthless people around and expensive signing fees....sometimes, I got bad grades on my books from onsite grading. Most key issues are overpriced.

Small shows all the way when it comes to buying books. Large cons for pictures of lunatics and being able to be obnoxiously drunk without repercussions.

Large cons. Overpriced admissions (no thanks to the union)...

Wuh? Where did that come from?

Small shows all the way when it comes to buying books. Large cons for pictures of lunatics and being able to be obnoxiously drunk without repercussions.

Large cons. Overpriced admissions (no thanks to the union)...

Wuh? Where did that come from?

A union rep had to *persuade* him to cooperate one time. And yes I prefer small cons, cheaper, and with less hassle than bigger cons. Whenever I go to a bigger one I get all wide eyed and feel like I'm getting swept away by waves.