• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARCH Madness Grading Contest

616 posts in this topic

What's the deadline for the OT round? I have some travel coming up and it would be great if you could give us some idea of how long the round will last once started, and how long any OT period would be scheduled to last.

Don't forget the possibility of more than one overtime book being required to break all ties.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hopefully, Nikos has enough books and we don't have to have a contest intermission while he waits for more slabs! tonofbricks.gif

Good I feel better now, and do not have to agonize over changing out my grade at the last second, because I still would have never gone with a 9.4 guess.. was not even in the mix for me.

Go AlexH.. you can do it.. yes you can.. if you cant do it ... then NOBODOY can!!

yay.gifyay.gif

No Alex was one of the 6 that nailed it, the others were

jimminy christmas...i said 9.2, and was beating myself up over it all day yesterday, thinking i should have gone with 9.0.

Ditto, except I switched at the last very second and went with 9.0

The book is structurally sound , and looks the part of HG book. But MAN.. I just could not get past that dirty back cover. I see now it did not factor into the final grade much at all. On this book anyhow.

I will whine , AND gripe.. and say.. that it is one fugly 9.4 , and I can see why Nikos went with this book to start the contest with.. It is a real tweener book if I ever saw one.

Good Luck AlexH, would we have tied if I went with my original 9.2 guess?.. or did you nail it.. and I would have lost with either of my guesses?

Ze-

And I thought this was February?... this contest will be over in around 15 days.

Does that mean we can have a REAL March madness in MARCH?

I nailed it with a 9.4 blush.gif

I am hoping by the end of Friday.

Hoping? No deadline? foreheadslap.gif

there could be multiple ties............. 893whatthe.gif

Perhaps it will end up being the Endless Summer Grading contest.. as it will never end , due to neverending OT matches.

893whatthe.gif

#29 norrin radd vs. #33 r1970d - winner - #29 norrin radd

I am victorious! yay.gif

I was seriously going with 9.4 (even had a PM typed up). But just then I got a PM from October_Fire stating that he thought it might be lower, so I decided to hedge and submit a grade of 9.2.

(Last time I consult with HIM on grading! sumo.gif27_laughing.gif)

jimminy christmas...i said 9.2, and was beating myself up over it all day yesterday, thinking i should have gone with 9.0.

Ditto, except I switched at the last very second and went with 9.0

The book is structurally sound , and looks the part of HG book. But MAN.. I just could not get past that dirty back cover. I see now it did not factor into the final grade much at all. On this book anyhow.

I will whine , AND gripe.. and say.. that it is one fugly 9.4 , and I can see why Nikos went with this book to start the contest with.. It is a real tweener book if I ever saw one.

Good Luck AlexH, would we have tied if I went with my original 9.2 guess?.. or did you nail it.. and I would have lost with either of my guesses?

Ze-

And I thought this was February?... this contest will be over in around 15 days.

Does that mean we can have a REAL March madness in MARCH?

Ze,

I struggled with that back cover also but I've come to realize after scanning a lot of my books that the scanner tends to really make any dirt stand out much more than looking at the book in hand. So I had to factor that into my final grade which was 9.2 (and I was still off)

the parallel to the NCAA tournament is quite real here.

some very tough evenly matched first round matches.

some matches with clear favorites.

some players (Sal and ArAich, for example, do very well (9.2) but run into hot teams that nail it (9.4).

some play no better than the above mentioned duo and get through the round because their opponent played slightly worse.

some play poorly, but their opponents fall on their grading faces.

and there are OT games!

and now we wait for the final 7 late night games to fill up the round of 32.

and then wait to see what Nikos "seeding committee" picks for the next round....and pray to God we don't get matched up with Illinois, BC, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.........

Very cool format - thanks again, Nikos thumbsup2.gif

#29 norrin radd vs. #33 r1970d - winner - #29 norrin radd

I am victorious! yay.gif

I was seriously going with 9.4 (even had a PM typed up). But just then I got a PM from October_Fire stating that he thought it might be lower, so I decided to hedge and submit a grade of 9.2.

(Last time I consult with HIM on grading! sumo.gif27_laughing.gif)

I DEMAND A RESUB! I'DVE GOTTEN AN 8.5 on that book!! sign-rantpost.gif

Ooops. I mean, Congrats, NR! . flowerred.gif

9.4 my 893censored-thumb.gif.

the parallel to the NCAA tournament is quite real here.

some very tough evenly matched first round matches.

some matches with clear favorites.

some players (Sal and ArAich, for example, do very well (9.2) but run into hot teams that nail it (9.4).

some play no better than the above mentioned duo and get through the round because their opponent played slightly worse.

some play poorly, but their opponents fall on their grading faces.

and there are OT games!

and now we wait for the final 7 late night games to fill up the round of 32.

and then wait to see what Nikos "seeding committee" picks for the next round....

Very cool format - thanks again, Nikos thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif