• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to More Fun #73?

194 posts in this topic

I would rank Aquaman no. 7 behind

Superman

Batman

ROBIN( why do we always leave out Robin?!?!)

Wonder Woman

The Flash

This I can at least listen to. The order of DC superhero importance is pretty much set. It's pretty much fact more-so than opinion, at least for the Top-10 or so. And if I say something is a fact, I list the reasons. I laid-out all the facts in my previous posts. As for Robin, there are many facts that put him in the Top-10....although where exactly to rank him is opinion, because he's a sidekick. A sidekick drops his rank....but being in the Batman comics raises his rank. So it's a judgment call.

The other judgment call is Captain Marvel, due to his past with Fawcett. He was perhaps even considered for #1 in the past....but DC is dropping his rank now.

If we're including all characters, like villains, then obviously that's a judgment call too. Villains are generally ranked way below the superheroes. The one exception is the Joker in my opinion. Where exactly to rank him? Top-10, yes. But where, I don't know.

The think that bugs me a little (but it's entertainment; no worries lol) is when people throw-out crazy statements....like in this thread. Aquaman not even in the Top-20; absolutely ridiculous. They throw a statement like that out and don't back it up in any way with any facts. And behind Lois Lane?? Aquaman ranked behind a love-interest; seriously?? Sure it's an opinion....but what basis in fact could you possible give for that? She doesn't even have a Facebook page - that shows you the level of interest in her.

Interesting thread.

No doubt that Lois Lane is the first and most important superhero "love interest" of all time. She has been in pretty close to constant publication since Action Comics 1. She's been the focal character of a long running comic series (16 years - can GA top that?) and television series (Lois & Clark), as well as the key supporting character in Superman's almost continuous presence on radio, tv, and movie screens for the past 75 years.

So I'd say she is a pretty marque character -- perhaps the only non-superhero character to really warrant a top 10 spot on a DC list of characters. I rate her much higher than Joker or Lex Luthor (both are really just intermittent players who are best in small doses).

Sorry, but I would in fact put more villains and even some modern DC characters ahead of Aquaman and Green Arrow (ie, Luthor, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Swamp Thing, Ra's Al Ghul, Talia Al Ghul, Cyborg, Morpheus, Nightwing, etc etc etc). The age of the characters, low rated TV show/a couple upcoming movie appearances notwithstanding, those two characters have never been considered A-listers, not even by DC standards. My 2 cents.

-J.

Sorry, but I would in fact put more villains and even some modern DC characters ahead of Aquaman and Green Arrow (ie, Luthor, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Swamp Thing, Ra's Al Ghul, Talia Al Ghul, Cyborg, Morpheus, Nightwing, etc etc etc). The age of the characters, low rated TV show/a couple upcoming movie appearances notwithstanding, those two characters have never been considered A-listers, not even by DC standards. My 2 cents.

-J.

You forgot Zatanna, Huntress, Power Girl, every member of the Watchmen, Darkseid, Mr. Mxtlplyk (however the heck you spell it), the Wonder Twins...

-J.

A for Action!

CapActAquaman-510x660.png

-J.

You forgot Zatanna, Huntress, Power Girl, every member of the Watchmen, Darkseid, Mr. Mxtlplyk (however the heck you spell it), the Wonder Twins...

....and Supergirl, Batgirl, Brainiac, Bizarro, Penguin, Riddler, Mr. Freeze..... doh!

-J.

The other judgment call is Captain Marvel, due to his past with Fawcett. He was perhaps even considered for #1 in the past....but DC is dropping his rank now.

Well, he is reportedly in the Justice League movie, and is a part of the announced WB/DC film slate (2019).

They almost had to announce it, put their stake in the ground on the character, or risk someone else trying it.

Someone else still COULD try it (through the title and probably some of the names would be a challenge), but there's (probably) less incentive now.

Of course, if you're a deep-pocketed film studio and wanted to get into the superhero business, you could still announce a slate built around several golden age Fawcett comics which are in the public domain (copyrights were not renewed when they came due for renewal because, of course, Fawcett still owned them at that time but couldn't use them, so didn't care. Trademarks would still be a problem though), build an extra eight figures into your budget for legal fees, and dare WB to try to stop you.

Well, he is reportedly in the Justice League movie, and is a part of the announced WB/DC film slate (2019).

They almost had to announce it, put their stake in the ground on the character, or risk someone else trying it.

Someone else still COULD try it (through the title and probably some of the names would be a challenge), but there's (probably) less incentive now.

Of course, if you're a deep-pocketed film studio and wanted to get into the superhero business, you could still announce a slate built around several golden age Fawcett comics which are in the public domain (copyrights were not renewed when they came due for renewal because, of course, Fawcett still owned them at that time but couldn't use them, so didn't care. Trademarks would still be a problem though), build an extra eight figures into your budget for legal fees, and dare WB to try to stop you.

My best guess is they feared Marvel coming out with a MiracleMan movie first.

tumblr_mx2yxxK9on1r5jojqo1_500.jpg

Have there been any other sales to match the 38K for a 3.5? It could end up being a major outlier now that more copies seem to be surfacing. Little doubt it's legitimately a multiple of guide book, but how many is the question.

I'll take some wild guesses.

The 3.0 has a restapled cover with tape up the spine - could limit the premium someone is willing to pay for it. 18K

The 5.5 looks nice. 40K

The 8.0 has a ragged lower right corner with a chip missing. Looks overgraded to me. 62K

Have there been any other sales to match the 38K for a 3.5? It could end up being a major outlier now that more copies seem to be surfacing. Little doubt it's legitimately a multiple of guide book, but how many is the question.

I'll take some wild guesses.

The 3.0 has a restapled cover with tape up the spine - could limit the premium someone is willing to pay for it. 18K

The 5.5 looks nice. 40K

The 8.0 has a ragged lower right corner with a chip missing. Looks overgraded to me. 62K

5.0 went on CC last month for 75k IIRC.

I don't think it will be quite that low, mind you I personally would love it to fall that fast cause there is no way this book is a 15k a point book.

Census has changed from 20 in March 2013, to now 24 April 2015.