• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM choice of #1 or #83

JIM #1 or #83  

501 members have voted

1. 1. JIM #1 or #83

179 posts in this topic

Yeah I can appreciate JIM 83 and 89 and actually most all of the early Thor issues...

Of all the Marvel characters Dr Don Blake's unrequited love affair between both him and his nurse was one of the saddest, most frustrating, most realistic and most poignant of all the marvel superhero romance storylines.....

but as mentioned by many if someone wants these issues they can get them all ,...in the next five minutes if they want to, up to nice mid grades and higher

But if you want golden age JIM's especially the GREAT issues 1-10 it doesn't matter if you are just some guy named Joe or you are Bill Gates, you are not going to be getting these issue anytime soon no matter how fat your wallet , or ever if you want them fine or better unless you have many many years worth of patience ahead of you

And to mix things up a little...... one of the greatest failures of the comics industry is the lack of a nice mid 70's era 10 issue run of Thor by Barry Smith and Roy Thomas ....... one of the "Classic Arcs That Never Was....." GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I chose JIM #1. I used to have it in my first pre-code collection (along with an Adventures Into The Unknown #1 and a Strange Tales #1) and always felt a tingle when I pulled any of them from a long box. They felt like a special part of pre-code history.

If you're a PreCode collector, then your preference would be be JIM 1. SA collectors prefer JIM 83. Same would be true for My Greatest Adventure 1 for PreCode collectors while SA collectors would prefer MGA 80.

The comparison here is between two entirely different books. They differ in genre and the PreCode era of the early 1950s is so different from the SA of 1962. Horror, Crime, and Romance were the most popular genres of the PreCode era and we know what had happened during the SA. The PreCode era was a time when the stories were not driven by major characters (with exception to the continuing success of DC's superhero titles that didn't end in the mid to late '40s).

Comparing Russ Heath's artwork to Jack Kirby's? Both were greats but the comparison here is between each of them drawing different genres at different times.

The real challenge to a question about preferences is when the choices have some common features that are similar and it's the slightest difference between them that makes it interesting to choose one over the other.

In this case, the only things these 2 books have in common is the title.

That said, the PreCode collector in me prefers JIM 1 but my SA Marvel part loves the first appearance of Thor.

Thanks for the great input and discussion, especially about JIM #1 which is on my grail list along with #2

For all those who suggest JIM #83 is the comic to buy before it goes up I am very leery of this advice and would never tell this to anyone who is not prepared to lose up to half of their investment or more even very long term.#83

I believe the huge percentage of the sales of JIM #83 are between dealers/flippers only.

Thanks for the great input and discussion, especially about JIM #1 which is on my grail list along with #2

For all those who suggest JIM #83 is the comic to buy before it goes up I am very leery of this advice and would never tell this to anyone who is not prepared to lose up to half of their investment or more even very long term.#83

I believe the huge percentage of the sales of JIM #83 are between dealers/flippers only.

Did you come to that conclusion before, or after you asked for advice?

did you start this thread for pure purpose of telling other people they are wrong?

These threads are silly.

If you're a Marvel superhero collector, buy 83; if you're a pre-code collector, buy 1; if both 1 and 83 are on your checklist and you have to choose, it's probably smarter to go with 1 first, because 83 will always be available, but you might not many shots at a 1 you can afford; if you want liquidity or an easy turn-over, buy 83; if you want to have your cake and eat it to, MANNUP and buy both.

We done here?

did you start this thread for pure purpose of telling other people they are wrong?

Umm does the passionate discussion and recommendation an overlooked golden age gem over an extremely high priced issue within the same series offend someone? I wouldn't think so except for the few of the responses such as above.

This is comics general and I wanted to open it up to those who might not know about golden age , who may only care about coppers or whatever ...

and POLLS ARE FUN ...!!!!!!!

Umm does the passionate discussion and recommendation an overlooked golden age gem over an extremely high priced issue within the same series offend someone? I wouldn't think so except for the few of the responses such as above.

This is comics general and I wanted to open it up to those who might not know about golden age , who may only care about coppers or whatever ...

So yes (thumbs u

Why did you compare an Atlas PreCode Horror key to a SA Marvel superhero key?

Why did you compare an Atlas PreCode Horror key to a SA Marvel superhero key?

In my day most comic collectors were completists , many still are within reason

don't you agree?

(many veteran collectors would still like to complete a JIM 1-125 run and are working on it over their lifetime)

I have learned from past threads that this completist mentality is a dying art form which is understandable.

the comparison was between two issues within the same series, not between a SA superhero key and an Atlas pre code horror

Thor is not Nightwing...

Thor has withstood the test of time....for thousands of years he has been part of human mythology. The name, the abilities, the family, etc.. all hold up. Thor is here to stay.

And personally I love JIM83. Mega Silver age key.... a true first superhero appearance. Just merely "first in X age".