• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM choice of #1 or #83

JIM #1 or #83  

501 members have voted

1. 1. JIM #1 or #83

179 posts in this topic

I like the ashtray just sitting on the desk like another piece of office equipment. And the girl looks like she has some pretty healthy lungs too despite her smoking habit.

anyone know who did the cover art work on #1?

....I notice her lungs aren't the only thing healthy about her......... I mean, really, just take a look at that set of teeth on her.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

JIM 1, tough, tough, tough to come by, iconic PCH cover, good investment.

I've never really liked the JIM 83 cover as compared to other SA Keys, don't care much for Thor either (no offense) and if I ever wanted a JIM 83 I could find several dozen for sale on any given day.

You can't just go buy a JIM 1, you have to wait for to appear out of the mist and then you have to try and grab a hold of it quickly before it bites you in the face and runs off screeching.

JIM 1, tough, tough, tough to come by, iconic PCH cover, good investment.

I've never really liked the JIM 83 cover as compared to other SA Keys, don't care much for Thor either (no offense) and if I ever wanted a JIM 83 I could find several dozen for sale on any given day.

You can't just go buy a JIM 1, you have to wait for to appear out of the mist and then you have to try and grab a hold of it quickly before it bites you in the face and runs off screeching.

I agree and regardless of the overwhelming poll results JIM #1 is the book to have,...unfortunately it just is not available. Its amazing those who suggest buying #83 "before it goes up in price" like there is absolutely ZERO possibility of it ever leveling off or even going down, just up, up, up that's all that silver age keys will ever do........drink the Kool Aid and revel in the guarantee of up, up, up forever and ever !!!

I realize this may be hard for you to believe, but some collectors may actually prefer JIM 83 because Thor may be one of their favorite superheroes and the ish the first of a fantastically creative run from the greatest writer/artist pairing in the history of the medium.

I don't care for Thor, never did. I am a pre-code horror guy and have a near complete collection but am missing JIM #1. If I had to pick on the newstand between the two I would take #1 hands down.

Now, the "investor" in me says #83 is the one to buy for the long run...

well as amazing as you find this, it is equally amazing you cannot understand why people would want the first ever Thor issue versus some random first issue of a 1952 horror title. I suppose Amazing Fantasy 1 is more important than 15 as well using that logic.

I realize that #1 is hard to come by-- but people actually desire 83 not so much because it is rare but for what it represents.

JIM 1 isn't a random pre-code horror book, it has been consistently ranked as one of the most valuable and most difficult to come by.

It is the first issue of one of the very few Marvel pre-code horror titles to withstand the test of time and survive the changing industry of the late 50's early 60's - transitioning into a long running SA superhero title.

Did I mention it has an iconic cover by a renowned artist?

Amazing Fantasy 1 came out in the early 1960's and was a blah post code, sci-fi title - it also has one of Ditko's worst covers ever - in fact your hard pressed to find a decent cover in the run.

At the end of the day I totally get why 83 is more in demand, but for me the chase is half the fun and its no fun chasing something everyone has or could have...whenever.

For what its worth, the census won't change much for a JIM 1 in the next 10 yrs, but JIM 83's are going to be added to the census in droves for a long, long, long, long time...

If your just looking at the percentage change on a 3k investment, it might be closer than most think.

Would be interesting to circle back in a decade.

well as amazing as you find this, it is equally amazing you cannot understand why people would want the first ever Thor issue versus some random first issue of a 1952 horror title. I suppose Amazing Fantasy 1 is more important than 15 as well using that logic.

I realize that #1 is hard to come by-- but people actually desire 83 not so much because it is rare but for what it represents.

JIM 1 isn't a random pre-code horror book, it has been consistently ranked as one of the most valuable and most difficult to come by.

It is the first issue of one of the very few Marvel pre-code horror titles to withstand the test of time and survive the changing industry of the late 50's early 60's - transitioning into a long running SA superhero title.

Amazing Fantasy 1 came out in the early 1960's and was a blah post code, sci-fi title - it also has one of Ditko's worst covers ever - in fact your hard pressed to find a decent cover in the run.

At the end of the day I totally get why 83 is more in demand, but for me the chase is half the fun and its no fun chasing something everyone has or could have...whenever.

For what its worth, the census won't change much for a JIM 1 in the next 10 yrs, but JIM 83's are going to be added to the census in droves for a long, long, long, long time...

If your just looking at the percentage change on a 3k investment, it might be closer than most think.

Amazing Fantasy #1 was Amazing Adventures #1. :gossip:

Amazing Fantasy #1 was Amazing Adventures #1. :gossip:

Yes, yes was going simply from the title change.

I do enjoy the AA covers for what its worth.

Some of us may just like the character.

precisely.

The artwork on early Thor's is not all that great. I am no worried if I never get all the early JIMs for my Thor collection. I focus on the Kirby art because it is awesome to see how he continued to make the art progress issue after issue. To me at least-- that is interesting. I have copies of the JIM 83 and other early issues via TPBs -- and for me that is sufficient. The story was the stronger part of those imo. I kind of cut off my Thor collecting around issue 341 (it was originally supposed to be at 276 as that was the last one I bought off the stand-- but you know-- then I found out about Beta Ray and kind of expanded it). I decided that the art I was seeing in later issues than 341 seemed somewhat rushed-- not classic like the Kirby covers and I did enjoy Buscema Thor as well. Also, having more than that seemed like too many Thor issues.

anyway -- there are definitely some really cool Thor covers comapred to 83 in the 83-100 portion. Covers I like more than 83. I think the same could be said of ASM 1 which is so-so as a cover to me compared to AF 15. AF 15 is hands down one of the best first appearance covers next to maybe Wolverine in IH 181 (and probably some others).

I really want JIM 89. Man,what a great cover. :cloud9:

precisely.

The artwork on early Thor's is not all that great. I am no worried if I never get all the early JIMs for my Thor collection. I focus on the Kirby art because it is awesome to see how he continued to make the art progress issue after issue. To me at least-- that is interesting. I have copies of the JIM 83 and other early issues via TPBs -- and for me that is sufficient. The story was the stronger part of those imo. I kind of cut off my Thor collecting around issue 341 (it was originally supposed to be at 276 as that was the last one I bought off the stand-- but you know-- then I found out about Beta Ray and kind of expanded it). I decided that the art I was seeing in later issues than 341 seemed somewhat rushed-- not classic like the Kirby covers and I did enjoy Buscema Thor as well. Also, having more than that seemed like too many Thor issues.

anyway -- there are definitely some really cool Thor covers comapred to 83 in the 83-100 portion. Covers I like more than 83. I think the same could be said of ASM 1 which is so-so as a cover to me compared to AF 15. AF 15 is hands down one of the best first appearance covers next to maybe Wolverine in IH 181 (and probably some others).

As far as best first appearance books. Incredible Hulk #1 is my favorite.

precisely.

Yup, one of the standouts of the early issues for sure.