• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM choice of #1 or #83

JIM #1 or #83  

501 members have voted

1. 1. JIM #1 or #83

179 posts in this topic

JIM 83 without question.

Indeed. Other than the fact that it is a #1, a JIM #1 is not really a key. JIM 83 is the first appearance of a major hero. This is no contest.

End of.

To me any discussion that terminates with "End of" or, similarly, "Period" etc. is not a discussion.

I would counter that JIM #1 IS a key to the pre-code collector. Or does a "collector" have to be only a "super-hero collector" to have "importance enough" for their interests to qualify a book as a "key"?

JIM 83 without question.

Indeed. Other than the fact that it is a #1, a JIM #1 is not really a key. JIM 83 is the first appearance of a major hero. This is no contest.

End of.

To me any discussion that terminates with "End of" or, similarly, "Period" etc. is not a discussion.

I would counter that JIM #1 IS a key to the pre-code collector. Or does a "collector" have to be only a "super-hero collector" to have "importance enough" for their interests to qualify a book as a "key"?

Really? So a discussion that ends with a clear decision is not a discussion?

Are you sure?

Anyway, we all express oppinions. It is clear that most people voted that JM83 is more desirable. Still if you think that to you JM1 is better, then that is valid to you.

Anyway - this is a trend in here - to link a less popular book to a more popular book by way of these 'discussions'. I suspect that sometimes someone has the interest in temporarily pumping up a little attention on the lesser book. We have seen this with Cerebus 1 being compared with IH181. And there are many similar examples.

It seems to work. If it is intentional - who knows?

Shocking, absolutely SHOCKING that a poll on a board where most of the collectors prefer superhero comics would vote for the superhero comic. Gee, whodathunkit. doh!

Would be interesting to start this poll in the GA forum. I'll bet the results would be a little different

JIM 83 without question.

End of.

Are you sure?

Anyway, we all express oppinions. It is clear that most people voted that JM83 is more desirable. Still if you think that to you JM1 is better, then that is valid to you.

Anyway - this is a trend in here - to link a less popular book to a more popular book by way of these 'discussions'. I suspect that sometimes someone has the interest in temporarily pumping up a little attention on the lesser book. We have seen this with Cerebus 1 being compared with IH181. And there are many similar examples.

Right! I love Warren horror mags,but I don't create a thread asking if Warren horror mags are better than a JIM 83,and when people say Thor is best I spout off about horror mags being better. I just find these threads so redundant. Does one have to actually get confirmation about their interests? Clearly the OP knew what he liked best,why did he have to make a thread regarding which book is best?

JIM 83 without question.

End of.

Are you sure?

Right! I love Warren horror mags,but I don't create a thread asking if Warren horror mags are better than a JIM 83,and when people say Thor is best I spout off about horror mags being better. I just find these threads so redundant. Does one have to actually get confirmation about their interests? Clearly the OP knew what he liked best,why did he have to make a thread regarding which book is best?

Hey HIPPO (Hi Posting Professional On-liner) don't sweat he small stuff like this poll,.. this is was supposed to be a fun poll that has led to a nice discussion about two very valuable and different comics within the same run - Journey into Mystery #1 and #83

I would not think anyone would be put off by this poll and thread, except I have now learned from multiple replies that it was not appreciated by someone who post on here continuously, a HIPPO who it would seem is trying to influence which threads should and should not be on these chat boards

JIM 83 without question.

End of.

Are you sure?

Alexander, at least for me when a pronouncement like "Period" or "End of Discussion" etc. is used it sounds like there is nothing more to be said. Or to put it a different way, it sounds like you are simply negating the validity of any contrary opinion.

I will say when I first saw the title of this topic I was like "Huh? - that's kind of silly." But the question kept sitting in my brain and I couldn't shake it. Since I have owned both JIM 1 and JIM 83 (got the 83 shortly after it came out from a friend but no longer have either) I starting devoting some thought to answering the question. The more I thought the more intrigued with the concept I was.

I spent a few years collecting superhero (mainly Marvel) and formed various opinions. X-Men I just could not get into. Initially I liked Spiderman (had several keys) but ultimately got tired of the over-angst. Really enjoyed DD, Moon Knight, Iron Man and the superhero iterations of the big four (ST, TOS, JIM and TTA). But eventually just lost interest in superheroes and found my way into Atom Age, where I stayed (along with pre-hero Marvels) for most of my collecting time.

To my perception, JIM 1 is more valuable to me as a collector (forget $$$). But JIM 83 also reflected the pre-hero Marvels because of the pre-hero style backup stories, so it hits on that area for me as well.

After getting over my initial puzzlement of the question, I found I had a LOT to think about. It was fun and shook some cobwebs loose.

JIM 83 without question.

End of.

Are you sure?

Hey HIPPO (Hi Posting Professional On-liner) don't sweat he small stuff like this poll,.. this is was supposed to be a fun poll that has led to a nice discussion about two very valuable and different comics within the same run - Journey into Mystery #1 and #83

I would not think anyone would be put off by this poll and thread, except I have now learned from multiple replies that it was not appreciated by someone who post on here continuously, a HIPPO who it would seem is trying to influence which threads should and should not be on these chat boards

I find it funny that you think all I do is one liners. I do try to give good informative information as much as possible around here,even when the original posters are a bit obtuse. :baiting:

I sure wouldn't mind that 8.5 JIM 83 that just went up on Clink that's signed on the splash by Stan and Jack :cloud9: ....... but then, I've never even seen a high grade JIM 1..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Personally I have a JIM 83,and want a JIM 1 as well.Each one is awesome in it's own right.You Mr. 1950's war comics like to shove your opinions on others,then when someone opposes you you get all huffy and puffy.

I remember when you first arrived here,you stated "anything modern after 1970 is junk,and will never be worth anything". Dude I don't care if you hate certain books,years,whatever. Just don't dismiss others from collecting what they like. Everyone has a golden age,where certain years are special to them. Whether they be 1950's war comics,or 1980's comics. Just don't bag on anyone else's love for the medium,it's not becoming.

Just my two cents,but you should lighten up a bit.

Love and kisses

Oakman