• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So you want to set up at a comic book convention....
2 2

298 posts in this topic

is the primary reason to sell at a con money generated during the con itself or is there some benefit of getting your stores name out there? Can you write off a portion of the booth costs as advertising? I guess it is all business expense either way-- just seeing if you find you get more traffic in your store or on line after a con from new people who found out about you via the con.

I don't sell on line via our site and I doubt setting up at a con generates any business for my store...

its just an avenue to meet new people, visit diff cities and sell some books!

That looks like a little bit of fun sandwiched between a lot of not fun.

Excellent post Gator. I purchased several blanks from you on Sunday, for a project I am working on, but you weren't at your booth at the time (I think you literally had just left).

I was wondering the following:

1). Do you sell a lot to dealers before the show starts?

2). Do you change up your stock for different shows because you have data that tells you certain material is better in certain areas?

3). Since you have an actual retail store, are the "cons" still worth it?

Would also like to know this

Excellent post Gator. I purchased several blanks from you on Sunday, for a project I am working on, but you weren't at your booth at the time (I think you literally had just left).

2). Do you change up your stock for different shows because you have data that tells you certain material is better in certain areas?

Sorry. Missed this.

1-I don't really. Most of what I sell I don't have the margins to discount to allow a dealer to resell. There are always exceptions but I don't really sell much to other resellers.

2-I do alter my material based on venue. This is generally learned from experience...no real "data" out there other than experience setting up

3-our store is there for our customers. We are happy breaking even. Cons are fun...my wife likes to travel, I really enjoy meeting with and see new and old friends, and yes, I generally make a fair profit

Sorry. Missed this.

1-I don't really. Most of what I sell I don't have the margins to discount to allow a dealer to resell. There are always exceptions but I don't really sell much to other resellers.

2-I do alter my material based on venue. This is generally learned from experience...no real "data" out there other than experience setting up

3-our store is there for our customers. We are happy breaking even. Cons are fun...my wife likes to travel, I really enjoy meeting with and see new and old friends, and yes, I generally make a fair profit

Very interesting thread, thanks Rick

Great thread Rick and very informative :applause: . What a first hand look on being a dealer. That is some serious manual labor there. I think I have a lot more respect for dealers now after seeing what you and others have to go through. I'm always willing to help out in some way, just ask (thumbs u

I used to display 8 feet of silver age slabs and 8-12 feet of golden age slabs...

as the market changes, so must the convention dealers...

I now have 8 feet of modern-bronze raw keys, 4 feet of bronze keys, 4 feet of silver keys and 4 feet of gold keys...

you have to adapt ...

IMG_1166_zpsqon4fbqk.jpg

Great thread, Rick. Thank you.

In this pic, you have raw books facing into the booth on the far left, do you put anything behind them facing other direction such as store signage, cheap books or do people just see the backs of the books facing in?

Is the PVC holding your banner just zip tied to the gridwall?

Is it standard at east coast shows that you can flip a draped table like that and have books below the table on the floor? Ie, so people will be on their knees in the aisle? It seems to me that at SF Bay Area shows you can't do that.

I used to display 8 feet of silver age slabs and 8-12 feet of golden age slabs...

I now have 8 feet of modern-bronze raw keys, 4 feet of bronze keys, 4 feet of silver keys and 4 feet of gold keys...

you have to adapt ...

IMG_1166_zpsqon4fbqk.jpg

How is it that before the show opens you have so much room in the boxes? More than you need, it looks like. What's the philosophy and procedure there?

I know I pack some excess stuff in the front of the boxes so when it goes up on the rack or wherever it belongs, voila instant room in the boxes for browsing to begin.

IMG_1157_zpsblpsjetu.jpg

When you say so far, do you mean just to get to Thursday on the hotels and gas and food? What's the three night total? Just not following the math here.

mr bob stays with the inv while I go park the van (and pay the parking fees)...

so far we have spent about $500 on hotels, gas and food...not to mention the $1600+ booth costs....just to keep a tally...

IMG_1151_zpswoanead7.jpg

What, no cosplayer repellent?

Nevermind, I see you packed longboxes. That'll keep em away.

Great quote. At the Big Wow Comicfest in San Jose this weekend, for the first time, I don't remember really seeing any Cosplayers in the vintage comic booth section. Until the absolute end when deep-voice Batman (a regular at the shows) bought a $3 Avengers.

Rick, tremendous thread. One that people will remember for years, I think. Great set-up, great signage. Great racks.

This was Mega-Con, no? Interesting that you have to handtruck your inventory that far. The big shows in my area either have giant carts available (and not quite so far to go) or teamsters. I bring a lot less stuff but we're talking one quick load out for me or them quickly driving two pallets of my stuff to the booth for drop off and for you it would probably be double that. Ie, faster and not so painful. We don't have the humidity either...

Interesting to see the differences.

you have to adapt ...

IMG_1166_zpsqon4fbqk.jpg

Great thread, Rick. Thank you.

In this pic, you have raw books facing into the booth on the far left, do you put anything behind them facing other direction such as store signage, cheap books or do people just see the backs of the books facing in?

Is the PVC holding your banner just zip tied to the gridwall?

We actually clip animated cels on the exposed grid. That way we utilize the display space

Yep, just 3 zip ties per pvc pole