• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So you want to set up at a comic book convention....
2 2

298 posts in this topic

get the sign up and then many times other dealers are roaming the hall looking to strike early...

IMG_1148_zpsgcbj6pxf.jpg

Who is that handsome devil in the blue hat?

the picture is blurry for a reason lol

Great thread! :applause:

You don't mention if you go to the bank each morning or not (theoretically)... That seems wise given the dollar amounts we're talking about...

(Also, if the bank detects some of your cash/hundred dollar bills are COUNTERFEIT, they will just confiscate them.)

Given that cons are generally fri-sun and I have a small local cu, no bank runs

into silver age keys....

IMG_1164_zpsenxtqfct.jpg

Boing!

Great stuff. Do you think it's better to display 10 copies of Strange Tales 110 or just a couple grades? If I wanted one I would post-it note your booth for later on since you're probably not selling them all. Rather than thinking I better buy-it-now or lose out since you only have 2 copies...

Your way is super impressive looking though :)

into silver age keys....

IMG_1164_zpsenxtqfct.jpg

Boing!

Great stuff. Do you think it's better to display 10 copies of Strange Tales 110 or just a couple grades? If I wanted one I would post-it note your booth for later on since you're probably not selling them all. Rather than thinking I better buy-it-now or lose out since you only have 2 copies...

Your way is super impressive looking though :)

I actually sold multiple copies...they are all different grades and diff prices, so I like to have multiples on display to let folks know I can accommodate their needs...I have boxes under the tables with many more copies than what is displayed...

but if I were to only display 2, for example, a 4.0 and a 8.0 and someone was looking for a 6.0, they might not inquire if I have more and that could be a lost sale...

Ever consider putting your price sticker just below or to the right of the CGC grade so it stands out when you fan the books in your display? It may cover up a tiny part of the cover if its below the grade but I like to see the prices more then the tiny part of the cover. Just a thought.

Oh, and you forgot the "Would you take 75 cents each on these two dollar comics?"...

Or Dale's favorite "got any Deadpool".

Ever consider putting your price sticker just below or to the right of the CGC grade so it stands out when you fan the books in your display? It may cover up a tiny part of the cover if its below the grade but I like to see the prices more then the tiny part of the cover. Just a thought.
it is done that way intentionally...for a couple of reasons

if you notice on the cheaper books, I price on the left, where prices can readily be seen..they are "cheap"...but, on the higher end , I cover up so that:

1)folks that have no clue, have no clue of $ amount I have there (and that is, unfortunately, the majority of folks that attend cons)

2)folks that do have a clue, are invited into the booth to peruse and it "forces" them to look at the books versus just the pricing... most folks know I pride myself on stocking sa and ga they are visually more appealing than the avg book for a grade (like no marvel chipping ,etc).... so, I might be priced higher than "gpa" or whatever, but for good reason... when one looks at the book, they can then see that the price is warranted for that particular copy

if you are lucky, and have had a good sales show, then you take home less than you brought!!!

we are approx. 1 hr after con has ended , knowing we have a 6 hour drive in front of us!

IMG_1180_zpsafv054gs.jpg

It's so much easier going to shows to buy!

if you are lucky, and have had a good sales show, then you take home less than you brought!!!

we are approx. 1 hr after con has ended , knowing we have a 6 hour drive in front of us!

IMG_1180_zpsafv054gs.jpg

It's so much easier going to shows to buy!

indeed

Great thread. We just finished the largest convention in western Canada last weekend. 3 hour drive for us.

One thing missing is the prep part. Grading books bagging boarding pricing and deciding what you take to the show.

How much shopping of your own do you do at cons? Is it generally for specific issues for known clients? Or more general for good deals?