• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So you want to set up at a comic book convention....
2 2

298 posts in this topic

Quick math. If your costs are $10,000 for SDCC, and you shoot for costs to be 5% of total revenues, that means you hope to do $200,000 worth of sales at SDCC, which I would guess would net you at least $50K in cash by the end of the weekend but probably closer to $80-100K. BUT you don't do cash deposits everyday, or even until you get back because you have a local credit union. I guess there's safes in most hotel rooms, but maybe it would make sense to get a national bank account with minimum features? Rather than carry $50-80K back to florida?

Or do you have your own secret security measures that don't need to be talked about openly? Insurance?

I think you forgot to ask him these two questions:

When would the best time to rob you be? On the road after the show or immediately after Saturday's close?

Do you have a lot of money on you when you go pee pee?

I can't be the only one who has thought about this, so I thought I'd point it out, and hopefully matters can be addressed BEFORE something happens (or already have been addressed). $1M in comics plus $50,000 cash makes a tasty target. State lines and planes make security hard to 'carry'.

I wouldn't walk around in florida with $200 in cash, let alone $50K.

On unrelated note, I've just come up with the plotline for the nerdiest heist movie in history. Pretty sure it would star Seth Rogen and James Franco. And hopefully Danny Mcbride.

it is actually very easy to carry....just check your destination state's concealed laws and make sure your concealed license is valid there... and if not, carry anyway!

Even better, don't get the CC license. Then you only get charged with a misdemeanor!

Great thread. I like the remark about offering to mark up a book 10% so you could give the buyer a 10% discount. Usually by the end of the day at a big con, I'm in such a daze that I would take that one and figure I got a terrific deal. :D

Kudos for this terrific thread. Your documenting the long hours and very hard work of selling at shows helps me to appreciate even more the great dealers who are the backbone of the hobby.

Hello all...

Have had this conversation with several folks over the years...."what all is involved" in traveling to and setting up at a con...

the avg con goer doesn't see the "behind" the scenes work involved...

so, we are going to provide a small pictorial of what we do...

sit back, grab some popcorn, and relax! (and it is anything other than relaxing prepping for a show!)

Love threads like this that show the actual amount of work involved in doing a large show.

Last show we did in Chicago in 2008, I had a 20 x 20 open square with 350 plus long boxes stacked four high with step stools all around.

That lovely post there in the center front of the set up was a nice surprise no one told us about :( On the bright side, our electrical cord didn't have far to go. Plus we made the most of it with wire racking which gave us more display space.

Double tables on the other side of the pole loaded with books and tables on top for statues, toys, etc.

Approximately 2.5 feet aisles between the rows. I maximize all the space I can... and for what it costs per square foot, everyone should ;)

Took HOURS for us four guys to unload on that hot convention center dock and get all this in order. One kid that worked for me... we called him "Bacon Brad"... got a box out of numerical order on the shelving side. Imagine how long it took him to move all that to get it in there lol

Honestly, I'm glad these big show days are behind me.

bothchicago2.jpg

A few more work numbers to toss in there. After a big show I'm looking at up to two hours taking sold books out of my database and/or off the website.

A dealer told me he sold 2.5 long boxes of priced/graded vintage at Wondercon (which is above average) and just consider, he now needs to buy and grade and sticker about 650 comics to replace what he sold in a weekend. That's a serious week of work, off and on.

Assuming you do not have a barcode scanning system how do you keep track of what sells? I see most smaller dealers write down any book over $1 but I can't imagine that's how you do it with your operation.

Assuming you do not have a barcode scanning system how do you keep track of what sells? I see most smaller dealers write down any book over $1 but I can't imagine that's how you do it with your operation.

I have a scan system at store but for con stock it is by price point. Cgc serial #s for slabbed books and title/issue/price for over $50 books. All else just price accumulation

I have a scan system at store but for con stock it is by price point. Cgc serial #s for slabbed books and title/issue/price for over $50 books. All else just price accumulation

I've seen con dealers take a phone picture of every book they sell and deal with inventory adjustments later. Group pics ok.

Fantastic thread with great info and insight - thanks for the effort on this!

A few Questions:

Given your very impressive wall inventory, do you think that the many $1 boxes detract from the keys on the wall?

Is the work involved with carting the $1 boxes worth it?

Again, thanks for posting this great info.