• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So you want to set up at a comic book convention....
2 2

298 posts in this topic

Very cool thread Gator. It's a lot of work what you and others dealers do (like Greg Reece, Bob Storms, etc)

No doubt about it, especially if you have a lot of merchandise like you do.

I saw your booth set up at NYCC last year and unfortunately it was pretty hidden (I couldn't find you the next time I wanted to stop by before leaving). That seemed like a smaller set up as well with you setting up with Filter. I think I recall that show wasn't great for you....

And it goes without saying I'm always impressed with your wall of books.

I'm curious, how do you react when customers bring up GPA (for slabs) or OSPG for raw books and try to negotiate with you?

I know some don't like this and others are fine with it.

Thanks

I don't use either, really...I buy a bigger book and mark up 7-10% if the market will bear...a lot of times my purchase price is the gpa recorded sale ( I bought at auction, etc) but I have decided this year I'm going with the "book is priced to sell" mentality... in other words, my bottom line price is already on the book, no negotiations nec...

I realize that some folks like the "win" scenario, but I'm ok leaving some meat off the bone to realize "my" needed price...and don't have to waste time bartering back and forth...

a couple of examples from last week that was indicative... I was attractively priced on an AF15....there was another in the room, same grade, that wasn't as visually appealing and was priced 15% more... the customer offered me 15% less on my copy, even though I had told him "that's the price I will sell it for"....he walked away, came back an hour later, and purchased at my sticker...quoting that the other dealer was willing to give him a 10% discount.... but, after some discovery, as mentioned ,the other dealer was 15% priced higher, and copy wasn't as nice, so I was still considerably the better deal...

I told him I could mark my copy up 10% and then discount 10%, but that seems like a waste of time to me... ultimately he understood and was happy...

another customer purchased a $75 book from me...there were multiples in the room priced no lower than $100.... he proceeded to ask me what I could do for him...I told him it is $75... he was like, "no discount"? and again, as he was aware, I told him I am already 25% cheaper than everyone else, how much more did he want me to discount... he then proceeded to hand me $75

so I think my pricing model is going to take some time for folks to get used to, but it is a good model for me

that's a great model. Haggling is over rated. Do you have any signage letting customers know that the price marked is the best price?

also-- what about people who try to bundle fa few books to see if they can get a little break? I'm assuming you say no to that.

yes, I had some small signs on my raw that price is firm/as marked (just on the $500 and under books, as 7-10% is not enough margin to "negotiate"...

now, on the bigger $ books, a single purchase is at sticker...if someone bundles multiple books together that it makes sense to work a little on the price, and I have the margin, then of course, I will try... that actually did happen with one customer...he bought more than 25K worth of books, and a few of them I did have more than my normal 7-10% margin so I reduced for him...

ultimately, my goal is that in any sale, if both parties are not happy, then it is not a sale worth doing...

Excellent post Gator. I purchased several blanks from you on Sunday, for a project I am working on, but you weren't at your booth at the time (I think you literally had just left).

I was wondering the following:

1). Do you sell a lot to dealers before the show starts?

2). Do you change up your stock for different shows because you have data that tells you certain material is better in certain areas?

3). Since you have an actual retail store, are the "cons" still worth it?

What are typical revenue goals as a percentage of total costs for a given con?

Like how do you decide if a given convention is 'worth it'? And what other factors potentially weigh into your decision to go or not go to a con?

What are typical revenue goals as a percentage of total costs for a given con?

Like how do you decide if a given convention is 'worth it'? And what other factors potentially weigh into your decision to go or not go to a con?

given my sometimes limited margins, I need my expenses to be less than 5% of sales, or I am doomed...

other dealers recommendation were my initial factor and then results determine whether I return...

Curious...on the wall books (i. e. Keys) what would the ratio of sales were or typically is slabs vs raw?

Since my avg wall book is 2k and my avg raw is $75, it's probably 50:1

I first set up at a con in 1991.

Those were the days....

I first set up at a con in 1978. Damn. I'm old.

those stone tablets musta been tough to unload

That was quite a find. Where they OO?

Very cool thread Gator. It's a lot of work what you and others dealers do (like Greg Reece, Bob Storms, etc)

No doubt about it, especially if you have a lot of merchandise like you do.

I saw your booth set up at NYCC last year and unfortunately it was pretty hidden (I couldn't find you the next time I wanted to stop by before leaving). That seemed like a smaller set up as well with you setting up with Filter. I think I recall that show wasn't great for you....

And it goes without saying I'm always impressed with your wall of books.

I'm curious, how do you react when customers bring up GPA (for slabs) or OSPG for raw books and try to negotiate with you?

I know some don't like this and others are fine with it.

Thanks

I don't use either, really...I buy a bigger book and mark up 7-10% if the market will bear...a lot of times my purchase price is the gpa recorded sale ( I bought at auction, etc) but I have decided this year I'm going with the "book is priced to sell" mentality... in other words, my bottom line price is already on the book, no negotiations nec...

I realize that some folks like the "win" scenario, but I'm ok leaving some meat off the bone to realize "my" needed price...and don't have to waste time bartering back and forth...

a couple of examples from last week that was indicative... I was attractively priced on an AF15....there was another in the room, same grade, that wasn't as visually appealing and was priced 15% more... the customer offered me 15% less on my copy, even though I had told him "that's the price I will sell it for"....he walked away, came back an hour later, and purchased at my sticker...quoting that the other dealer was willing to give him a 10% discount.... but, after some discovery, as mentioned ,the other dealer was 15% priced higher, and copy wasn't as nice, so I was still considerably the better deal...

I told him I could mark my copy up 10% and then discount 10%, but that seems like a waste of time to me... ultimately he understood and was happy...

another customer purchased a $75 book from me...there were multiples in the room priced no lower than $100.... he proceeded to ask me what I could do for him...I told him it is $75... he was like, "no discount"? and again, as he was aware, I told him I am already 25% cheaper than everyone else, how much more did he want me to discount... he then proceeded to hand me $75

so I think my pricing model is going to take some time for folks to get used to, but it is a good model for me

that's a great model. Haggling is over rated. Do you have any signage letting customers know that the price marked is the best price?

also-- what about people who try to bundle fa few books to see if they can get a little break? I'm assuming you say no to that.

yes, I had some small signs on my raw that price is firm/as marked (just on the $500 and under books, as 7-10% is not enough margin to "negotiate"...

now, on the bigger $ books, a single purchase is at sticker...if someone bundles multiple books together that it makes sense to work a little on the price, and I have the margin, then of course, I will try... that actually did happen with one customer...he bought more than 25K worth of books, and a few of them I did have more than my normal 7-10% margin so I reduced for him...

ultimately, my goal is that in any sale, if both parties are not happy, then it is not a sale worth doing...

Excellent stuff. Thanks for your candor

Anyone else notice Rick didn't have to reload any coke zero for the trip home hm

or that two (or was it three+) men drank all of it and only needed a single bathroom break during the day?

that sounds a little like torture for your bladder.

Price one pays.

Years ago I'd help my friend set up at GenCon gaming convention. Think I did that for 5 years total. Was so annoying that they wouldn't turn the A/C on for loading day so you'd be sweating bullets about 20 minutes in. Could only imagine moving comic stuff. His stuff wasn't as heavy...

This is exactly what I tell people all the time. (thumbs u

Great thread, thanks. :applause: