• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Global Shipping Service?? WTF is that??

118 posts in this topic

I use GSP for two reasons:

1. There are many people who won't ship overseas. Obvious by this thread. That's makes completion smaller and this people will pay a premium, more or less, for a book.

2. All I am required to do is get it to Kentucky. I have been told ebay opens the package and repackages it in their packaging. I don't have proof one way or the other, but I always ship in a cardboard box or mailer. Doesn't cost me much and haven't had any comaints, yet.

Not sure why you would not buy from someone because they have GSP listed? I have had international people message me and ask if I can ship it otherwise and say yes, it will cost X amount.

You're not sure because you don't see the outrageous customs fees listed in addition to the shipping cost.

Sample:

New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8

Price: $899.99

Shipping to Canada: $31.89 (not too bad)

IMPORT FEES: $128.98

I collect large statues, and bigger items get much worse:

Sideshow Captain America Premium Format

Price: $1199.99

Shipping: $96.08

Import Charges: $209.18

So the statue costs about what a decent hooker costs you and the Import Charge is about the cost of a good tip.

hm Just curious how you know so much about this Roy? I think Louise needs to go with you on every trip from now on. :grin:

:blush:

1. There are many people who won't ship overseas. Obvious by this thread. That's makes completion smaller and this people will pay a premium, more or less, for a book.

2. All I am required to do is get it to Kentucky. I have been told ebay opens the package and repackages it in their packaging. I don't have proof one way or the other, but I always ship in a cardboard box or mailer. Doesn't cost me much and haven't had any comaints, yet.

Not sure why you would not buy from someone because they have GSP listed? I have had international people message me and ask if I can ship it otherwise and say yes, it will cost X amount.

You're right that people will pay a premium for your books... With GSP, though, you're mistaken if you think they're paying it to you.

The premium is being paid to ebay, not to you, in the form of a cash fee for imaginary import fees. The $30 charge (or whatever amount it is) comes right out of your pocket... If you just shipped the book to another country yourself for the exact same total price - which the buyer has already agreed to pay - you'd be making more money.

As this thread shows, lots of people will avoid your listing, and that likely lowers your sale price. Then ebay takes a big cut of the total sale price from you for no apparent reason. Finally, someone (apparently) unpackages and repackages your item risking damage or (as with the OP) total loss...

Sounds like a great system...

Now, maybe it protects you from evil international scam artists... But judging from a lot of banning/shaming/blocking threads on these boards, you're just as likely to find these in the U S of A as anywhere else...

I get asking price, no lowballers claiming they have high medical bills offering 50% of my asking price.

What does it matter to me what they pay for shipping?

I guess the most interesting part is that somehow you think that eBay is the devil requiring these import fees to other countries. When you ship something to another country, it does not negate the fact that an import fee should be paid for a good being shipped there. I wonder if some people realize how he world really works?

You're right that people will pay a premium for your books... With GSP, though, you're mistaken if you think they're paying it to you.

The premium is being paid to ebay, not to you, in the form of a cash fee for imaginary import fees. The $30 charge (or whatever amount it is) comes right out of your pocket... If you just shipped the book to another country yourself for the exact same total price - which the buyer has already agreed to pay - you'd be making more money.

As this thread shows, lots of people will avoid your listing, and that likely lowers your sale price. Then ebay takes a big cut of the total sale price from you for no apparent reason. Finally, someone (apparently) unpackages and repackages your item risking damage or (as with the OP) total loss...

Now, maybe it protects you from evil international scam artists... But judging from a lot of banning/shaming/blocking threads on these boards, you're just as likely to find these in the U S of A as anywhere else...

I get asking price, no lowballers claiming they have high medical bills offering 50% of my asking price.

I guess the most interesting part is that somehow you think that eBay is the devil requiring these import fees to other countries. When you ship something to another country, it does not negate the fact that an import fee should be paid for a good being shipped there. I wonder if some people realize how he world really works?

Did you see Goldust40's post ?

"Comics are zero VAT and duty rated in the U.K. Yet ebay / Pitney Bowes still charges such (unrefundable) fees, keeps them for themselves and nobody at U.K. customs and excise has investigated this?"

"Comics are zero VAT and duty rated in the U.K. Yet ebay / Pitney Bowes still charges such (unrefundable) fees, keeps them for themselves and nobody at U.K. customs and excise has investigated this?"

Just saw that. Very interesting. Of course this varies by country due to the US relationship and agreements with them, but that seems like flat out mail fraud.

I own a business that's worked in 60 countries, so I'm starting to get a pretty good handle on this...

Take Canada as an example (since there are so many Canadian boardies here)... for a comic being shipped into Canada from the US, it's subject to a possible charge of a Value Added Tax (the GST or HST) of 5%. For a $100 comic, that's a $5 charge... and the Canadian Border Services Agency will levy that charge perhaps 1 time out of 50, what with the North American Free Trade Agreement and all. But the GSP will charge a fee of $25 or more for every single transaction...

The international buyer who sees the GSP listing basically sees a high charge, levied for no purpose - and that same charge will not appear on a book purchased from a seller who ships direct. Sure, in some instances there's a small chance that a buyer will have to pay import fees, depending on the country they're in... But that possible fee is significantly smaller than the guaranteed fee they'll pay to GSP.

Unless you're selling a truly unique item, using GSP will drive buyers away.

Just saw that. Very interesting. Of course this varies by country due to the US relationship and agreements with them, but that seems like flat out mail fraud.

Yeah, I wonder how long I could get away with charging the customer for fees that don't really exist and then keep the money for myself. It probably wouldn't be too long before federal agents or INTERPOL were at my door.

I know a Dutch collector that paid the (overinflated customs and duty to Pitney Bowes/Ebay) and still had to pay import duty when the package was delivered to his house.

The duty he had to pay the postman was the correct amount, the amount he had paid Pitney Bowes/Ebay was over double that.

He has been trying to get his money back for months now with no avail.

This is a money making racket for eBay, they are well aware of it, but by cleverly making it more attractive to sellers they are getting away with it. I'm sure it's generally supported by eBay sellers as superficially there is only an upside to the system. Also a lot of sellers don't really care what a buyer in some pissant country has to pay extra, as long as he himself is protected against fraud and gets his money.

It's worth considering that a large portion of the buyers who have encountered the Pitney Bowes/Ebay system probably were surprised/unhappy when they found out how the system works and how much extra they had to pay. Good odds they will not be repeat buyers.

The customs charges listed by the GSP in no way reflect actual "real world" charges. It's a cash grab.

So does the GSP offer any benefit from eBay or is it just a perceived security?

I'd assume that there is added security when shipping to countries that don't have very good postal or tracking systems but it an utter waste of time for countries that do have good postal systems.

Congrats on your 1st step to realizing how the real world works. (thumbs u

I'd assume that there is added security when shipping to countries that don't have very good postal or tracking systems but it an utter waste of time for countries that do have good postal systems.

eBay tries to sell a benefit of it as, you (the seller) only have responsibility for getting the item to them - once they have it, if it's lost in Belgium or somewhere, they would assume responsibility for the item.

eBay tries to sell a benefit of it as, you (the seller) only have responsibility for getting the item to them - once they have it, if it's lost in Belgium or somewhere, they would assume responsibility for the item.

I was lost in Belgium once, too... it happens. Nobody assumed responsibility for me, though.

I know a Dutch collector that paid the (overinflated customs and duty to Pitney Bowes/Ebay) and still had to pay import duty when the package was delivered to his house.

The duty he had to pay the postman was the correct amount, the amount he had paid Pitney Bowes/Ebay was over double that.

This is a money making racket for eBay, they are well aware of it, but by cleverly making it more attractive to sellers they are getting away with it. I'm sure it's generally supported by eBay sellers as superficially there is only an upside to the system. Also a lot of sellers don't really care what a buyer in some pissant country has to pay extra, as long as he himself is protected against fraud and gets his money.

It's worth considering that a large portion of the buyers who have encountered the Pitney Bowes/Ebay system probably were surprised/unhappy when they found out how the system works and how much extra they had to pay. Good odds they will not be repeat buyers.

Says it all, really. If the fees are "duty" and you still have to pay them when the package enters your country (which discourages the buyer from making purchases) then customs in EU countries should get involved, as they themselves are losing revenue.

Says it all, really. If the fees are "duty" and you still have to pay them when the package enters your country (which discourages the buyer from making purchases) then customs in EU countries should get involved, as they themselves are losing revenue.

I've always assumed that SOME sort of payment is being made to various customs agencies by the GSP, but that it is a fraction of what they are collecting. That may also be how they "legitimize" the program...

That may also be how they "legitimize" the program...

They legitimatize the program by automatically opting all eBay sellers into the program through their eBay agreements.

It's robbery disguised as a service.

They also bet on people not pushing hard enough to get their refunds (like any 'good' customer service department) and they keep any unclaimed money.

It's pure robbery.

I've always assumed that SOME sort of payment is being made to various customs agencies by the GSP, but that it is a fraction of what they are collecting. That may also be how they "legitimize" the program...

But here are no customs fees chargeable when shipping to the UK so they aren't paying some or any of it to customs agencies in those cases because there is NOTHING to pay. Since there is no one else to pay it to then they must be keeping it themselves.

Unless I can't find the book elsewhere, I just skip right over any item/seller that is part of the Ebay GSS program.

Same goes for me and a hell of a lot of other people too.