• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two Edgar Church copies of the same comic?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I've got this old label Church book and saw a 9.6 new label Church copy in a dealer's booth at Chicago a couple years ago. The 9.6 had the coding, but mine doesn't. Duplicate or mislabeled?

donwinslow34.jpeg

Yes, there are a few duplicates. I have a Jumbo #155 I bought from Chuck at one of the first shows he sold at. There is another copy on the CGC census of the same issue. Unless that one is a mistake because I know for certian mine is a Church.

I have heard of a very few others but can't document them.

comjumbo155church1_zpsqzipeg2y.jpg

I do love arguments backed with illustrations.

I love illustrations wrapped in Leopard skin swimsuits :cloud9:

In a séance held recently by a prestigious group of curious GA collectors, the late Mr. Church was successfully channeled and the question put to him about why duplicates occasionally pop-up in his collection.

His response to the query was remarkably brief. In a ghostly voice he simply said: " *Spoon* Happens! " >>> CrystalBall2.gif

vihwpqomdt4pgrfgxyma.jpg

The 9.6 had the coding, but mine doesn't. Duplicate or mislabeled?

donwinslow34.jpeg

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is this "coding" you refer to? There appears to be a bar code and number on your copy. Is there a different coding?

In a single word yes. The Edgar Church collection does have a very small number of comics of which he acquired two copies. As far as I am personally aware there were no keys that are duplicated and mostly they are later date wise in the collection. You should try and hunt down a copy of the pedigree list as this does help solve some of these types of questions. Best of luck!

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is this "coding" you refer to?

Most Church copies have some sort of penciled code on the cover the same way you might see an arrival date or stamp.

Most Church copies have some sort of penciled code on the cover the same way you might see an arrival date or stamp.

most up to a certain date do; at some point in '44 i think the classic coding goes away. west would have better specifics on this.

most up to a certain date do; at some point in '44 i think the classic coding goes away. west would have better specifics on this.

Oh, flash a copy you old stick in the mud!

Before Straw-Man flashes for ya ( :eek: ) here's a couple'a post '44 Church copies...

9de06eeb-2223-4a3a-8226-f3addf26ceec_zpsd8c0303c.jpg982830f2-9e4a-4fd3-8cf4-08062f46a74f_zpse589a124.jpg

Before Straw-Man flashes for ya ( :eek: ) here's a couple'a post '44 Church copies...

9de06eeb-2223-4a3a-8226-f3addf26ceec_zpsd8c0303c.jpg982830f2-9e4a-4fd3-8cf4-08062f46a74f_zpse589a124.jpg

:applause:

Here are two examples of the same book from the MH pedigree. One was sold via Heritage raw the other I acquired years ago. Both are on the original MH list.

lf.jpeg

]128283-1_1.jpg

Has anyone ever come across any fake coding? It would seem to be easy enough to duplicate if you had a high grade book.

There have been limited cases of fake and or misidentified pedigree books. I have seen fakes in the past. First originals can be identified by the physical characteristics known to exist on MH pedigrees, the original MH list, images found in the Gerber Photo Journal, etc.

Has anyone ever come across any fake coding? It would seem to be easy enough to duplicate if you had a high grade book.

There have been limited cases of fake and or misidentified pedigree books. I have seen fakes in the past. First originals can be identified by the physical characteristics known to exist on MH pedigrees, the original MH list, images found in the Gerber Photo Journal, etc.

There was an ancient scandal along these lines ...

Some of the doubles on the census are cases of two copies and some are cracks and resubs where the earlier cert was never removed from the census.

In a séance held recently by a prestigious group of curious GA collectors, the late Mr. Church was successfully channeled and the question put to him about why duplicates occasionally pop-up in his collection.

His response to the query was remarkably brief. In a ghostly voice he simply said: " *Spoon* Happens! " >>> CrystalBall2.gif

vihwpqomdt4pgrfgxyma.jpg

This photo is almost certainly bogus. I'm pretty sure G.A.tor parts his hair on the other side. hm

There are some other tells including type of wear and aging and of course the smell, which many speak about and recognize.

Also, there is chain of ownership and of course pics in the Gerber books, etc.

I don't believe I've ever held a raw Church book.

I bought a cheap one just to own it.

I don't have a good sense of smell but some guys roll their eyes in the back of their heads when they do it, apparently it's that good. lol

Not saying they can't be manufactured, but there is more to the Church pedigree than just penciled codes (and that goes for many pedigrees - many of them have distinctive smells based on how the books were stored - for example, half of the Big Apple Pedigree smells like kerosene because the room the books were stored in smelled like kerosene). You might be able to slip one by a novice but someone who knows their Pedigrees is more likely to catch them.