• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Registry Set Awards 2015

130 posts in this topic

With only 4 weeks remaining until the awards deadline hits I figured it would be time to start discussing this epic event.

Who else is excited? Surely I'm not the only one! :hi:

T-Minus 4 weeks, 5 hours, 58 minutes...

• Administrator

Well, since you brought up the awards, I should mention that we received feedback that some users prefer NOT to receive a paper certificate if they have a #1 set. So, we added a certificate opt out feature on the edit set page for sets that are in the #1 position.

If you choose to opt out of receiving the certificate, your set is still named #1 and gets the award icon online. Opting out just means you wouldn't receive the paper certificate we mail out.

With only 4 weeks remaining until the awards deadline hits I figured it would be time to start discussing this epic event.

Who else is excited? Surely I'm not the only one! :hi:

T-Minus 4 weeks, 5 hours, 58 minutes...

I want one of those blue icons. ;)

Is it like the Heisman Trophy, where winning back to back is nigh impossible?

I've put a lot of effort upgrading Blues to Yellows and 9.9's and one 10.0.

Finger's crossed. :wishluck:

Either way, I love the competition. Good luck to everyone going for the top spots!!

what's the last day to get your books into the registry for the purpose of 2015 awards?

If winning actually meant best set then I would be excited. It's mostly politics.

Just curious, but why do you say it is politics?

Just compare the "winners" to the titles getting the most press, any movies, CGC employees and high volume submitters. (thumbs u

Also, try to find "best set" criteria. You won't. The ambiguity allows CGC to pick sets in the best interest of CGC from a business perspective. The registry is a cool money making machine and the awards are an extension of that. The awards should be called CGC recognized sets and embrace the ambiguity. By calling them "Best" you set up a false competition which increases the bottom line.

Isn't it judged by points, or completion percentage, or some algorithm that includes those criteria?
Also presentation. (pics, descriptions, ect...)

If winning actually meant best set then I would be excited. It's mostly politics.

Just compare the "winners" to the titles getting the most press, any movies, CGC employees and high volume submitters. (thumbs u

Also, try to find "best set" criteria. You won't. The ambiguity allows CGC to pick sets in the best interest of CGC from a business perspective. The registry is a cool money making machine and the awards are an extension of that. The awards should be called CGC recognized sets and embrace the ambiguity. By calling them "Best" you set up a false competition which increases the bottom line.

If you true then my Revival set has no chance of winning lol:cry:

Paranoid nonsense.

Here is the link to all the past winners

Past winners

Achievement - the first tab - for the best overall collection. There is no denying these people have (had) amazing collections. Yes they generally are the people at the top of the registry. Better comics, better points, higher score. You are not going to win this unless you are in the top 10 on the registry.

Best in Age - 3 choices in each age group - just start with 2006 - How is "More Fun Comics" political? Or The Spirit so very 'of the moment' ?? DC 100 pagers, nothing to do with anything like press or movies, just a remarkable focus and achievement to collect that run of books, even if it is Greggy. And so on.

There are no criteria as such; but same with the Academy Awards, its peoples opinion and in this case its the opinion of the people who run the show. They get to chose which sets they like, big deal. There have been plenty of times when it draws your attention to sets you did not know existed, well put together collections of obscure titles.

I have made the case in the past for a "peoples choice" where everyone gets a vote for a set in say 1 or 2 categories (cant vote for yourself); could be fun but many people have 'knowledge' i.e. they mainly do Golden or Silver age and are not into moderns or vice versa.

CGC is a money making machine...for itself BUT also for many collectors and dealers that finally had a standard and some quality control to allow them to sell a product with more of a guarantee than just their word and grading opinion. Not always perfect but if it was not better than what went before they would not have done so well.

Good luck to the winners this year.