• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Second (err I mean Third) Most Important Fantastic Four Book

46 posts in this topic

blargh - sorry to leave #5 off my initial list - silly mistake! Oddly enough it didn't really come-up in the debate :( Which was mainly focused around how FF45 and FF52 are somehow more expensive now than FF48 - which is uttelry ridiculous.

So I may have to admit that #5 is the second most important - but I will just state that FF48 has a Marvel Universe tilting story with the Surfer/Galactus storyline (FF48-50) and has 2 of the most important first appearances in the entire FF line. (but I think I have to admit that #5 comes second still - geesh how do I forget that book - I blame it on the beer).

So let's say THIRD most important book - clearly FF48 right????

value and importance aren't always the same thing, when the population varies widely. FF 48 is unusually common due to a warehouse(s) find. I recall seeing stacks of uncirculated copies selling for a few bucks each.

Oh I realize value does not always equal importance. I was just frustrated with people arguing that FF45 and 52 were more important and pointing to their value as an indicator :)

Well, I'm glad that someone does.

Ann1

Ann2

Ann3

Ann4

Ann5

Ann6

FF 48-50 was the first story that made my jaw drop.

Everything else was really good and a lot of fun but when 48 came out it was a game changer.

Having said that, I still think 1>5>4>48 Even though 5&4 have nothing to do with the plot of 48, the Foundation stones of the FF had to be laid before the greatness of 48 could be presented.

I don't think 4 gets nearly enough love. I'm partial to Submariner, though. It's definitely a key book, but whether or not Marvel will ever run with that character has yet to be seen.

I don't think 4 gets nearly enough love. I'm partial to Submariner, though. It's definitely a key book, but whether or not Marvel will ever run with that character has yet to be seen.

Marvel doesn't have that character. I believe Universal does if I'm not mistaken.

Last I heard rights reverted back to Marvel. From wikipedia:

On June 3, 2014, Kit confirmed that Marvel, not Universal now has the Namor film rights. On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal and Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out.

I'd take Avengers 4 over FF 4 all day and twice on Sundays.

This was not debated. I just made a comparision. How they reintroduced Cap, and how Cap was developed afterwards, make it more important than FF#4

I agree, however, that there is little love for Sub-Mariner – Sub-Mariner is a more difficult character to write properly. The Bill Everett Bronze issues are great… :)

I think Namor is an important character and appreciate his Golden Age impact with Timely/Marvel - but I just don't see how he is more important to the Silver/Bronze/Copper Marvel universe than Silver Surfer and Galactus.

Am I missing something or is this just a love for Namor/Sub-Mariner that I don't have?

Last I heard rights reverted back to Marvel. From wikipedia:

On June 3, 2014, Kit confirmed that Marvel, not Universal now has the Namor film rights. On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal and Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out.

Looks like you're correct. Though, it is mentioned a few times, that it's not "quite that simple"... I dunno what that means.