• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

Fox’s The New Mutants has seen its release delayed multiple times over, but don't expect Disney to simply dump it on Disney+. When Disney acquired 20th Century Fox for a staggering $71 billion, they got their hands on an enviable back-catalog of work that included some of the most well-known films and pop culture properties of the past hundred years. However, another thing they inherited was the responsibility to fund the distribution and marketing of various films that had already completed shooting by the time they signed the Fox deal, which includes Marvel movie The New Mutants.

The New Mutants began life in 2015 when Josh Boone, director of The Fault in Our Stars, and writer Knate Lee pitched a potential X-Men trilogy to Simon Kinberg, the franchise's producer, using the New Mutants ensemble created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod. A year later, casting rumors started swirling and soon, some of the brightest up-and-coming actors signed onto the movie, including Anya Taylor-Joy from The Witch, Stranger Things star Charlie Heaton, and Arya Stark herself, Maisie Williams. Filming took place in Boston from July to September 2017 with an April 13, 2018 release set.

However, the film was then delayed to February 22, 2019, then moved back once more to August 2, 2019. This was intended to give Boone and his team some time to complete needed reshoots, but it was revealed in March 2019 that the reshoots had still not taken place. That was when rumors started that Disney could possibly pull the film from their theatrical release calendar and put it on Disney+. However, at CinemaCon 2019, Disney confirmed the film would keep its theatrical release, which was then pushed back once again to April 2020. Given that the first trailer for the film was released in October 2017, The New Mutants has been a long time coming, but will its release now be on Disney+ instead of in cinemas? With several Fox movies bombing, including another X-Men flick, Dark Phoenix, it's easy to see the appeal, but it's still unlikely to happen.

It doesn't seem all that shocking to imagine Disney removing The New Mutants from their very busy slate and premiering it as a Disney+ exclusive. Given the borderline ridiculous number of delays New Mutants has faced plus the drama over reshoots, the general message conveyed about its overall quality is not good. Dark Phoenix faced a similar problem but at least that movie was part of an established franchise and had some serious star power behind it, two things The New Mutants sorely lacks. Delay after delay, from both Fox and Disney, does not suggest a massive amount of confidence in the film's ability to make its money back at the box office, and those fears will only be exacerbated following the financial disaster of Dark Phoenix, which is being blamed for Disney's $170 million financial loss this year.

I think if they go with a movie than Legion would be a good character to go with.

A hero with a condition (schizophrenia) much like the show "Good Doctor". Nevertheless they have the show,so I doubt a major involvement from him, albeit Flash has a show and they have introduced him well to the big screen.

Legion leading into a Age of Apocalypse would be awesome to see. However, seeing how Sony has totally screwed up the X verse, well it's going to take a complete reboot, with new movies to carry any weight.

4 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Legion leading into a Age of Apocalypse would be awesome to see. However, seeing how Sony has totally screwed up the X verse, well it's going to take a complete reboot, with new movies to carry any weight.

I get the feeling you were watching the wrong films. :kidaround:

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I get the feeling you were watching the wrong films. :kidaround:

Ah, fanboy are you? The X films largely suck. Out of all of them, First Class was the only tolerable one. And Old Man Logan, if that was even Sony

1 minute ago, IkewithMike said:

Ah, fanboy are you? The X films largely suck. Out of all of them, First Class was the only tolerable one. And Old Man Logan, if that was even Sony

Sony didn't make the X-Men films. Fox-Marvel created those films. You were on a posting rant across threads to comment on many topics, and lost track.

:baiting::foryou:

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Sony didn't make the X-Men films. Fox-Marvel created those films. You were on a posting rant across threads to comment on many topics, and lost track.

:baiting::foryou:

Oh thanks for taking the time to keep track of what I post, what would I do without you?

Just now, IkewithMike said:

Oh thanks for taking the time to keep track of what I post, what would I do without you?

Probably post more details about how Sony destroyed the X-Men films? :insane: :baiting:

I think you missed out. As with Days of Future Past that was very entertaining and extremely well done. As was X-Men (2000) and X2. And with The Wolverine, even with that Act 3 mixed story this honored much of the Limited Series while taking us through Logan's WW II backstory.

You don't have to like them. There are those that did/do appreciate them. :foryou:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Probably post more details about how Sony destroyed the X-Men films? :insane: :baiting:

I think you missed out. As with Days of Future Past that was very entertaining and extremely well done. As was X-Men (2000) and X2. And with The Wolverine, even with that Act 3 mixed story this honored much of the Limited Series while taking us through Logan's WW II backstory.

You don't have to like them. There are those that did/do appreciate them. :foryou:

Wow, had I realized posting my  opinion would affect so many others I would have thought twice about posting it.

Thanks for letting me know your opinion on my opinion, but said opinion isn't going to change. Sorry I misunderstood Sony's take on the X verse, I was mixed up with Spiderman.

Maybe not being a knob would garner a attempt to converse instead of trading arrogance

Just now, IkewithMike said:

Wow, had I realized posting my  opinion would affect so many others I would have thought twice about posting it.

Thanks for letting me know your opinion on my opinion, but said opinion isn't going to change. Sorry I misunderstood Sony's take on the X verse, I was mixed up with Spiderman.

Maybe not being a knob would garner a attempt to converse instead of trading arrogance

A knob? You take teasing as contesting your opinion. Relax your angst, champ.

Like I noted, you don't have to like the films. Many do. Though of course by Fox executives ignoring Feige's early proposal to build out a joined universe prior to the MCU's launch with a huge missed opportunity. Even the executive producer of the franchise called this out last year as one of her regrets.

Meanwhile, there are more than a few of these films that really connected with people. So enjoy! :foryou:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

A knob? You take teasing as contesting your opinion. Relax your angst, champ.

Like I noted, you don't have to like the films. Many do. Though of course by Fox executives ignoring Feige's early proposal to build out a joined universe prior to the MCU's launch with a huge missed opportunity. Even the executive producer of the franchise called this out last year as one of her regrets.

Meanwhile, there are more than a few of these films that really connected with people. So enjoy! :foryou:

Champ? Really? I see I'm not off base on my perception.

If I blocked you, would that entail this entire forum disappearing?