• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

That was first reported in Collider, Mar. 27 of last year, although a piece in IndieWire walked it back the next day, claiming that it was premature because Boone hadn't yet finished writing all the new scenes.

Regardless, the film was finished and screened for test audiences well over a year ago.

Given that Disney could literally just put it on Hulu+, I wonder what the rationale is for spending $10s of millions on reshoots and then furthers $10s of millions on theatrical distribution.

Given that together that's probably $50 million of investment, they must believe the marginal return will be an additional $120+ million or more in box office returns for what's being marketed as a horror movie.

The only way that makes sense is for brand protection, which would be largely moot if they were planning to recast or reboot the New Mutants via a second movie or streaming series anyway.

I remember reading after the success of Logan the director was given the go-ahead to take The New Mutants to 'straight-up horror', whatever the heck that means.

Here’s Why ‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’ and ‘The New Mutants’ Were Delayed

New Mutants is a different matter, however. When the film was initially delayed, it was reported that Fox wanted to do some reshoots to make the movie scarier, even going so far as to add a new character. That still holds true, and while we hear the film tested well, it’s not “scary” enough. Director Josh Boone delivered a cut of the film that he was happy with, but Fox wants this movie to stand out as tonally distinct the same way Logan and Deadpool did.

If I was the Disney creative team I would sit down and watch this film. If it is working as-is and the previous studio recommendations were yet more tampering, I'd release it as-is. Get this over with now.

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I remember reading after the success of Logan the director was given the go-ahead to take The New Mutants to 'straight-up horror', whatever the heck that means.

Here’s Why ‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’ and ‘The New Mutants’ Were Delayed

If I was the Disney creative team I would sit down and watch this film. If it is working as-is and the previous studio recommendations were yet more tampering, I'd release it as-is. Get this over with now.

I agree. But maybe they'll change their minds and just release it on Disney Plus as additional incentive to subscribe (as if Disney needs it)?

Edited by @therealsilvermane

As 'Dark Phoenix' Bombs, Should 'The New Mutants' Premiere On Hulu Or Disney+?

The Josh Boone-directed flick, starring Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton, Henry Zaga and Blu Hunt, about young mutants discovering their powers while imprisoned in a secret facility, shot in late summer/early Fall of 2017. It was intended for an April 13, 2018 release date. However, re-shoots designed to make the film scarier (which Boone originally wanted and Fox agreed to after It grossed $700 million worldwide) still haven't happened yet. The film was delayed in January of 2018 to February 22, 2019, only to be postponed to August of 2019 and then, in a massive Disney/Fox release date shuffle, April 3, 2020.

Moreover, now, through little fault of the folks who made The New Mutants, the YA/horror X-Men spin-off is stuck in a kind of existential limbo. Whether the re-shoots have been delayed due to the scheduling of its busy cast (something that caused issues for otherwise routine re-shoots on Dark Phoenix) or something else is at work, the film is a dead man walking. It is the final incarnation of a version of X-Men that ended with Dark Phoenix's miserable $140 million global opening weekend. At this point, it may want to skip theaters altogether and debut either on Hulu.

For the record, the version of the film that Boone turned in was allegedly decent enough, with solid test scores and only a few pick-ups in the works to solidify what worked. The choice to go horror was allegedly first broached by Boone himself from the beginning but was accepted by Fox retroactively only after another studio's "young kids confront a supernatural monster" flick hit pay dirt. That said, there was value in making the film stand out as an outright horror film so that the X-Men spin-off would be as distinct as Deadpool or the Wolverine movies.

It all comes down to how Stephen King's IT went over so massively as a horror film including teenagers, Fox executive wanted Boone to take the film even darker than it already was.

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It all comes down to how Stephen King's IT went over so massively as a horror film including teenagers, Fox executive wanted Boone to take the film even darker than it already was.

It is an interesting, and I think worthwhile concept.  As we touched on in the DP thread, there is just so much ill will following that film that another Fox X movie is likely DOA at the box office.  While It is a good goal, I just do not see how the costs of reshoots are justified given the box office potential at this point.  Plus due to many, factors anything filmed at this point would be disjointed, and feel tacked on.

There is no hope for a sequel from this film, unless there was a box office miracle.  The cast is distanced from the project at this point, and would be poor in promoting it.  I think it needs an R rating and approach, which Disney is unlikely to grant, and would conflict with the seeming YA approach to this movie.  The YA films have been in steep decline the last few years, with really Hunger Games, and Harry Potter being the exception rather than the rule for that type of film.

Really many issues at this point.  I was excited for the movie, but that has long been lost ( I love many of the New Mutant characters).  Starting to think this movie needs a streaming release or just bury it.

Edited by drotto

EXCLUSIVE: DISNEY REMOVES ALL TIES TO FOX’S X-MEN FRANCHISE IN LATEST CUT OF ‘THE NEW MUTANTS’

Josh Boone’s The New Mutants has been through development hell. The X-Men spin-off was originally supposed to release on April 13, 2018. But with the Fox and Disney merger shaking up the production and release schedules of Fox’s Marvel projects, the film has been pushed back a total of 3 times.

Disney/Marvel Studios/whatever is left of 20th Century Fox have been reworking the film, in hopes of making some financial return on Fox’s investment. Disney was reportedly “unimpressed” with the original cut of The New Mutants, but recent test screenings of the film have been a bit more positive. This new cut of the film is said to be more in line with Josh Boone’s original “horror-esque” vision for the film.

A source close to FandomWire has stated that Disney and Marvel Studios have intentionally cut any ties to Fox’s “Singerverse” (i.e. Fox’s Marvel franchise) in The New Mutants. Additionally, the idea of “being a mutant” won’t be exactly mainstream. These changes were made in case Kevin Feige decides later he wants to bring The New Mutants into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The story is set within a secret facility that experiments on mutants, and the main character (Blu Hunt’s Danielle Moonstar) doesn’t know she is a mutant or the meaning of the word (mutant). Moonstar is brought to the facility after an attack by Demon Bear.

The New Mutants will hit theaters (hopefully) on April 3, 2020.

Edited by Bosco685

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is being released under Fox Studios, right? Things will get confusing if we see the Marvel Studios logo on movies not set within the MCU.

And how do you break them out from the X-Universe when characters like Professor X have been their mentors for decades? It feels like forced divisions just to appease a given sub-studio.

I'm not 100% sure if these constant delays are a good thing or bad thing in terms of sales.  New Mutants have been a pretty decent sellers for over two years partially due to the movie hype.  If the movie would have come out and flopped would we still be talking about New Mutants?  Heck - the only way it would have been better is if the movie was a smash hit which seemed unlikely. 

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I'm not 100% sure if these constant delays are a good thing or bad thing in terms of sales.  New Mutants have been a pretty decent sellers for over two years partially due to the movie hype.  If the movie would have come out and flopped would we still be talking about New Mutants?  Heck - the only way it would have been better is if the movie was a smash hit which seemed unlikely. 

They really should have just rolled out what they had. Seeing the success of IT Chapter One and assuming going even darker would have the same success led to this whole extended delay. What was in that first trailer looked just fine, and followed that unique theme of Deadpool and Logan. Low-budget, but effective story-telling.

This is so sad. :facepalm:

New Mutants Delays Explained: Why Fox (& Disney) Haven’t Released The Last X-Men Movie

At present, The New Mutants remains slated to be released in theaters on April 3, 2020. However, after the past year-and-a-half of delays, uncertainty, rumors of executive dissatisfaction, and only a single trailer having seen the light of day, fans could certainly be forgiven for feeling pessimistic that the film will manage to release at all.

Furthermore, a delay of two years is quite shocking, particularly for a major comic book film, and certainly for one set within a franchise that's spanned nearly two decades. Furthermore, New Mutants' clear tonal distinction from that of the Marvel Cinematic Universe makes it highly unlikely that it will be used as the bridge to incorporate the X-Men into the franchise. With a constant aura of uncertainty hovering over the film, and the omnipresent chatter that it may be pulled from its slated theatrical release and dropped on Hulu, at this point, it's truly anyone's guess what the future holds for The New Mutants.