• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

Josh Boone, director of the long-delayed New Mutants says that even he isn't sure if the movie will make its current release date, as Disney doesn't keep him in the loop on their release plans. The film has had a long and tortuous journey to the big screen, as it was initially meant to be in theaters over two years ago. But its release has been delayed multiple times, mainly due to Fox's acquisition by Disney. The latest release date is August 28, though even the teaser revealed at San Diego Comic-Con@Home yesterday joked about all the New Mutants release date changes, as it featured a sign saying "fingers crossed."

In an exclusive interview with Screen Rant as part of this year's San Diego Comic-Con@Home coverage, Boone says that even he isn't sure what Disney's ultimate release plans for the movie are. Boone says that the studio doesn't tell him their plans, but adds that at this point, he just wants people to see New Mutants, no matter the platform or release date. He adds, though, that a lot of scenes in the movie were shot with the cinema experience in mind, and that would be his ideal format for release.

"I'd be thrilled with whatever delivery platform allows everybody to see it who wants to see it. But I don't know personally, and they don't tell me. So the plan for us, I think, is theatrical and always has been. Even the way we chose to shoot certain things, even the battle with the bear at the end and all that, will only be better in a theater."

On 8/4/2020 at 11:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

There is no way in hell the theaters will be open by the end of the month.  If a few decide to open they will be the exceptions and the movie companies will be foolish to put new run movies out in those few theaters.

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

There is no way in hell the theaters will be open by the end of the month.  If a few decide to open they will be the exceptions and the movie companies will be foolish to put new run movies out in those few theaters.

I just cannot see this happening either. Disney is the one controlling the release schedule on this film. So interesting to see what they do finally.

The opening is in basically 2 weeks and none of the theaters are open yet in my area.  Are they thinking New Mutants will be the first movie the theaters will open up to show?

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

The opening is in basically 2 weeks and none of the theaters are open yet in my area.  Are they thinking New Mutants will be the first movie the theaters will open up to show?

I think the entire industry is on the edge of its seat wondering how this will go. Disney probably went with The New Mutants as less of an expensive risk because it is Fox Studios sunk costs already.