• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

This is the only movie I've been even remotely interested in seeing since End Game last year.  I have zero fear of being in a theatre...I'm just wondering how long before it is indeed released digitally.  

I love my home system setup and would be happy to hear it'd be released digitally for download a few weeks later.

A spoiler free review from a FB comic book group (not me...a copy/paste):

I may be slightly biased because I expected a lot from this movie since I loved the demon bear run.
The character development was a very slow burn and made the beginning slightly painful.  
I was never a big fan of the casting for Magik or Wolfsbane, but I was very wrong, all of the actors and actresses were well suited for the roles.  There are quite a few holy sh#t moments that comic fans will love.  There is a "twist" to who the person pulling the strings are but you never see them.  The best part of the movie is the last 25 or so minutes.  If you are hoping for a ton of action or a ton of people, don't.  There are literally 6 main people and a couple of others that spend under 20 sec on screen.  It is not as horror as they make it out to be in the trailers.  

TLDR: Good movie with slow burn development and hard action to close out.  Partially comic accurate.. ZERO post credit anything.

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You still trust in Rotten Tomatoes though?

If you have a better review aggregator for me to trust I'm all ears.  I still generally agree with the aggregators I'm aware of including MetaCritic, RT, and MRQE.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If you have a better review aggregator for me to trust I'm all ears.  I still generally agree with the aggregators I'm aware of including MetaCritic, RT, and MRQE.

Metacritic slammed Joker as trash due to the critics noting it would lead to incels protesting and more than a few noting it would be like The Dark Knight inspiring the Aurora shooting (it didn't)

Rotten Tomatoes: Caught more than once being tampered with by critics, studios and even movie-goers

MRQE: Aggregates all critic scores like RT with 70% being the positive - like RT

IMDb: Utilizes user ratings to determine location (domestic, international), general audience and gender-based results

You pick your poison.

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Metacritic slammed Joker as trash due to the critics noting it would lead to incels protesting and more than a few noting it would be like The Dark Knight inspiring the Aurora shooting (it didn't)

Rotten Tomatoes: Caught more than once being tampered with by critics, studios and even movie-goers

MRQE: Aggregates all critic scores like RT with 70% being the positive - like RT

IMDb: Utilizes user ratings to determine location (domestic, international), general audience and gender-based results

You pick your poison.

As is true with news sources you learn to filter out bias.  I still generally agree with the Joker reviews which are pretty much the same across all three aggregators.  I find it to be one of the least rewatchable superhero-related films ever made, and I easily filtered out the stuff about inspiring shooters, that didn't apply to whether or not I would enjoy the film.  All I use it for is to decide which films to see in theaters.  Once I significantly disagree with critics on more than a third of films I'll stop finding critical reviews useful, but it hasn't happened yet.

Should I take your angle here to imply you're thinking they're wrong, that this film isn't terrible?  Fox and Disney not releasing it for years already pointed to the probability that it was, so the reviews so far aren't surprising.

Edited by fantastic_four

Just now, fantastic_four said:

As is true with news sources you learn to filter out bias.  I still generally agree with the Joker reviews which are pretty much the same across all three aggregators.  I find it to be one of the least rewatchable superhero-related films ever made, and I easily filtered out the stuff about inspiring shooters, that didn't apply to whether or not I would enjoy the film.  All I use it for is to decide which films to see in theaters.  Once I significantly disagree with critics on more than a third of films I'll stop finding critical reviews useful, but it hasn't happened yet.

Should I take your angle here to imply you're thinking they're wrong, that this film isn't terrible?  Fox and Disney not releasing it for years already pointed to the probability that it was, so the reviews so far aren't surprising.

Should I take your angle and assume things as so far I don't know if this film is good or not? Just want to make sure you tell me what I think I think. :baiting:

As far as Joker being the least rewatchable superhero-related film - there's where you are starting off with the wrong mindset. Todd Phillips noted it was a grounded take on a recognized villain with an origin that has been clouded in detail for a very long time. Being grounded, it wasn't intended to convey any superpowers, paranormal or mythical influences leading to assumption it was superhero-related. It's just a troubled individual realizing where all his pains started, and letdown by the support system society offered.

I'm excited for New Mutants, presuming it goes the full psychological horror route.

But no way am I going to risk seeing this (or Tenet) in theaters.

Even if they limit capacity to 30% (w/ 6-10 feet between patrons) the *only* way movie theaters make money is on concessions, so people who are eating / drinking won't be masked.

Add in the air conditioning which recirculates the air and it's a hard pass for me.

(Which sucks because my local $5 theater is running classics like Ghostbusters, Empire Strikes Back and Back to the Future.)

They *better* get this all figured out by the time Top Gun: Maverick comes out :sumo:

Fun fact: I used to have a personal blog, which I discontinued when I switched jobs in mid-2018.

My post on the excitement I felt about the New Mutants film based on its first teaser trailer went live in October 2017.

We're finally getting this film some 34+ months after the first trailer dropped.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Fun fact: I used to have a personal blog, which I discontinued when I switched jobs in mid-2018.

My post on the excitement I felt about the New Mutants film based on its first teaser trailer went live in October 2017.

We're finally getting this film some 34+ months after the first trailer dropped.

This film's journey for something that was actually shot already and took all this time is nuts. To include one of the actors being interviewed about it two years later on cursing about the holdup.

What a crazy ride!

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This film's journey for something that was actually shot already and took all this time is nuts. To include one of the actors being interviewed about it two years later on cursing about the holdup.

What a crazy ride!

Put another way, in the time since the first trailer for New Mutants, Thor has appeared in three movies.