• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Catwomancomics said:

@Bosco685  I have no intentions of seeing any movie at the theater anytime soon.  IMHO covid will play into attendance for quiet some time.

I'm with you on this. No way am I going to the theaters any time soon as people are pulling off masks to eat during the movie. How many actually put the masks back on? As far as capacity differences between now and pre-COVID...

New Safety Standards for Moviegoing as U.S. Theaters Reopen

To help convince the rest of the country that moviegoing is safe, Ms. Colligan and the chief executives of the four largest theater chains in the United States — AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Marcus Theaters and Regal Cinemas — appeared together via Zoom on Friday to announce uniform health protocols: mask requirements, limited capacity, no condiment stations, plexiglass partitions and enhanced air-filtration systems (or at least in top working order).

Most of the protocols, including limiting capacity to 40% or 50% (depending on the chain), had already been announced piecemeal by the companies. But consumer research, they said, indicated that moviegoers wanted to know that standards were uniform.

So they unveiled a campaign called CinemaSafe. More than 2,600 theaters operating more than 30,000 screens in the United States have signed on, according to the executives. Participating locations will display logos with a green check mark on a theater seat and the slogan “Your safety is our focus.”

To say there is no difference between pre-COVID and now with chains at 40%-50% capacity doesn't seem accurate.

13 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

In the comics, Bobby’s father is black. Half the population of Brazil is black.That’s core to Bobby’s character development.

It's a lot lower than half.  About 8% of Brazilians identify as Afro-Brazilian, and another 20% identify as mixed race.  Whereas in America those two groups tend to both identify as the same demographic group, in Brazil it's more common to think of them differently.  They do the same with indigenous and mixed-race indigenous which I'm guessing Zaga is.

And as you point out it is pretty key due to a similar form of racial discrimination that exists in Brazil that we have here in America.  Our two countries share the fact that we held onto African slavery far longer than most other nations.  They have almost the same comparative poverty levels and same types of self-segregation between white and black people that we have in America.  Brazil is by far the closest demographic equivalent to America on the planet.  So it is almost exactly like casting a black American comic character with a white actor.

I'm not keeping close enough track of who's white and who's black in comics to know if that's whitewashing.  In America about 13% of the population is black...what's the percentage of comic characters who are black?  If it's well under 13% then yea, they should have cast either a black actor or a mixed African race actor as Roberto.  I'm sure someone has stats on what percentage of the MCU is black.  I'm not sure what it is, but I would guess it's well under 13% as long as you don't pull in every minor Wakandan character from Black Panther into the stats.  T'Challa, T'Chaka, Killmonger, Shuri, M'Baku, and Okoye should definitely all count, beyond that I'm not sure.

Edited by fantastic_four

The interview that led to people saying Josh Boone is a racist versus just a fellow that responded to a question not in the best way possible.

The New Mutants Director Josh Boone Is Confident It's a Comic Book Film Like No Other

io9: We’ve got to talk about the criticisms that have been leveled against the film for casting Henry Zaga to play Roberto, a character who’s Afro-Brazilian in the comics, originally read as Black, and whose origins do touch upon anti-Black racism in Brazil. I suppose my first question’s: do you get where that criticism came from?

Boone: You won’t have any argument from me. It’s like my thing was my goal was to cast a real Brazilian and I saw 300 of myself black, brown, lighter-skinned. I saw every shade of the sun. It was the same case with Blu Hunt. It’s like we looked at 300 Native American people and people very close ties to the Native American community. My goal was to find the best actor who, because they’ve done so little work, was at least the closest to kind of what I saw in my head for the character. There was nobody who hold a candle to Henry. It’s like maybe if Henry didn’t exist, I would have found somebody who was darker skinned who exemplified what I needed. But it was never about the color of their skin for me.

io9: Did that just not fit into your vision for Roberto’s story in the film?

Boone: I didn’t care so much about the racism I’ve heard about in Brazil, about light-skinned versus dark-skinned. To me, it was I wanted to represent Brazil in a positive way and I wanted to find somebody who seems like he could look like a guy who’s had the silver spoon in his mouth, who has like a really rich dad and [Henry] just exemplified all these things. Henry’s such a dedicated performer and you can see it in her performance on The Stand where he’s playing someone who can neither speak nor hear, and he put so much time into learning sign language and spending time learning from deaf people was just great. He’s a beyond reproach human being, and I sort of defy anybody who wants to say that Henry’s not a good Roberto simply because he’s lighter-skinned.

so rather than putting the entire response together, folks were told he said "I didn't care so much about the racism..." and ran him off Instagram. Even though he was very excited to get Henry Zaga (Latin actor) and an LGBTQ couple positively conveyed in the film.

Bummer.

10 minutes ago, bc said:

Well, this must be one helluva movie that has everyone so in awe that they abandoned this thread.

-bc

With COVID and people being very selective when and where entertainment takes place, I'm not sure small production theater releases are going to get a massive reaction.

Or did you reflect on that with this question?

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

With COVID and people being very selective when and where entertainment takes place, I'm not sure small production theater releases are going to get a massive reaction.

Or large production films either, Tenet absolutely tanked in the US.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Saw New Mutants and Tenet and enjoyed both, as I said before Corona can suck it lol

I thought it was a good attempt at the New Mutants. I liked the horror aspect it was a nice
change of pace. There were some holes, but it tied it back to Wolverine and the X-men
which I didn't expect.

I've waited a LONG time to see my teenage heroes on screens so while I am biased,
seeing Lockheed and Peter's little sister was just awesome for me. :cloud9:
I can't believe I am the only one who thinks this way.

It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was better then a couple of the X-men films.

50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I thought it was a good attempt at the New Mutants. I liked the horror aspect it was a nice
change of pace. There were some holes, but it tied it back to Wolverine and the X-men
which I didn't expect.

I've waited a LONG time to see my teenage heroes on screens so while I am biased,
seeing Lockheed and Peter's little sister was just awesome for me. :cloud9:
I can't believe I am the only one who thinks this way.

It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was better then a couple of the X-men films.

emotion01.gif.3017dd24cd634c8ab73fad371e86a664.gif

I've watched the movie twice. And had a really good time. Though I recognize the short play time didn't allow for much backstory details.

The overblown reaction to how Magik treated Dani ignores the fact she was an abused child in the film. So she was lashing out at everyone in a teen angst type situation. The director didn't need to be chased off Instragram because he wanted to hate on American Indian people.

Was glad to see this is available to rent via streaming for $6, rather than say...$10 or $20.

I'm also wondering if it may get a higher profile now given how popular Anya Taylor-Joy is following her performance in The Queen's Gambit. I just finished that series yesterday and it -- and she -- were phenomenal.