• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official New Mutants Movie News
1 1

485 posts in this topic

I watched The New Mutants just now; I enjoyed it. I thought teen girls in the showers was a bit much but overall it was a good horror movie for Marvel. I enjoyed seeing the characters use their powers and thought that the story was reasonably well told. Cecelia Reyes doesn't fare too well in the comics to movie transition but the rest do pretty well. It was far darker than I expected but was good. Not a great movie but enjoyable I thought. Wifey said it was good, and she had no knowledge of the source material

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Man after watching bits of New Mutants on HBO this weekend, the movie seems to be as bad as advertised. Might have to actually watch the whole thing today to be sure.

It actually isn't. You're just too influenced by forced MCU bias. And that's sad.

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It actually isn't. You're just too influenced by forced MCU bias. And that's sad.

I can see with my own eyes. And what I saw in bits and pieces this weekend was bad. I'll be my own judge later today, after I actually watch the movie, if it is that bad. It could be I saw scenes out of context, but I'm leaning towards my opinion siding with most critics nationwide. What's sad is Chris Claremont and Bob McCleod's beloved creations not getting their just due. The cinematography seemed fine, though.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I can see with my own eyes. And what I saw in bits and pieces this weekend was bad. I'll be my own judge later today, after I actually watch the movie, if it is that bad. It could be I saw scenes out of context, but I'm leaning towards my opinion siding with most critics nationwide. What's sad is Chris Claremont and Bob McCleod's beloved creations not getting their just due. The cinematography seemed fine, though.

Sorry. You've clearly admitted repeatedly anything not in the MCU is not on your appreciation list.

Just admit that. If it doesn't follow the Feige formula, you're against such films. That's your bias view on these things.

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Sorry. You've clearly admitted repeatedly anything not in the MCU is not on your appreciation list.

Just admit that. If it doesn't follow the Feige formula, you're against such films. That's your bias view on these things.

Yeah, because Kevin Feige and the other creators over at Marvel Studios have a near unblemished record of giving the world compelling fun stories that all connect with each other in an interesting way. Fox not so much, who batted about .500 collectively in their X-Men movies. New Mutants seems to be one of those misses, regardless of its box office take in a pandemic. I'm about to watch it in whole now. If I feel it's worth my time, maybe I'll post my thoughts later.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

37 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah, because Kevin Feige and the other creators over at Marvel Studios have a near unblemished record of giving the world compelling fun stories that all connect with each other in an interesting way. Fox not so much, who batted about .500 collectively in their X-Men movies. New Mutants seems to be one of those misses, regardless of its box office take in a pandemic. I'm about to watch it in whole now. If I feel it's worth my time, maybe I'll post my thoughts later.

Days of Future Past was better than 90% of all MCU films. Easily.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You are missing out on a much wider world of comic book films. That's your loss.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

and Wolverine: Origins was worse than 90% of all movies ever filmed. Easily; see how easy it is to pick cherries?

X-Men: Days of Future Past was so fantastically told which is why it gets called out. If Matthew Vaughn had been allowed to build out this franchise the way he wanted it would have been fantastic as this proved he had the franchise under control. Bryan Singer directing it was at a good time too as afterwards he started doing his 'long-distance directorship' gig on films like X-Men: Apocalypse and Bohemian Rhapsody (unfortunately kept on the former and fortunately fired from the second).

New Mutants is a miss for the studio formally known as Fox.

I respect the filmmaker's attempt to fuse teen movie tropes like the 80's slasher movie (Nightmare on Elm Street) and juvenile delinquent teen movies (like Breakfast Club or Girl Interrupted) into a superhero mutant movie, it just needed a more dynamic story. It seems Josh Boone was maybe trying to create mood with the more psychological slow burn storytelling, but the biggest result was a lack of energy, in my opinion.

Along with the plodding story was poor character development, or poor character writing. Whichever.

What exactly was so mutanty about Dani's survival in the opening scene? It seems the reason she survived was because her dad put her in a tree stump rather than any mutant ability. If the Demon Bear didn't kill her because she's a mutant, the movie never explains why. It was vague. That vagueness permeated the whole movie.

Who exactly was Dr Reyes? Was she a disciplinarian? She talked that way. But then why does she order the bad girl Illyana to give Dani a free wheeling tour of the nearly empty Silent Hill-like complex? Was Dr Reyes purely evil? Her character, like everything else, was too vague. Why was Illyana so willing to let Reyes keep throwing her in isolation? And was Dr Reyes a mutant or not? Again, I think it was Boone's attempt to tell the film more psychologically than in your face, which failed the movie I think. I get it that dreams was a big part of the story element, but the film needed more concrete story elements to develop these characters and the plot.

The only somewhat decent character relationship in the movie was between Wolfsbane and Dani. You could see the Fault in Our Stars director's hand there, but like everything else, it was still weakly developed and could have been stronger.

In fulfilling certain movie tropes to create the movie's mood, I think illogical character choices were made to get us there. When Illyana's Smiling Men take form and start coming for her and Sam, why do they run and scream in fear when they could have easily taken out the Smiley Guys with their powers, which they do five minutes later? I think it's because Boone wanted the scene of the running screaming teens to fulfill the horror movie trope, as I said. Fine, except it didn't ring true to me. And why have Illyana drug Dr Reyes so the kids could have their Breakfast Club party montage when they've had free run of the place anyway? Again, it didn't ring true or meaningful to me.

And with the vague relationships developed in the movie, during the grand finale fight with Demon Bear at the end, I wondered why were these teens fighting for Dani anyway? Besides Rhane Sinclair, it seemed like none of the other kids cared for Dani and could have just let the Bear take Dani or whatever it was trying to do, I'm not sure.

It was all just so vague.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/11/2021 at 10:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

It was bad. But mainly because they tried to rush what should have been 6-8 50 minute episodes into 90 minutes. it wasn't a 90 minute movie. No character development. Nothing. Just plop them in there. Illy was a one dimensional underdeveloped cliche "mean girl" character. she is a fabulous actress and it was wasted. the guy from stranger things got nothing. maisie williams, nothing. even the main character, moonstone, nothing. was dr. reyes a mutant? we get wacky illy flashbacks, what is that from? it actually could have been good if they took their time.