• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

The deal is that this morning I got to visit a local collection with a few Centaurs in the mix.

Here's what a collection should look like with a happy GA collector ready to enjoy it. Said collector has always focused on 64-pagers and the bulk of the books on the shelves are pre-1942.

WOW!!! :whatthe:

Awesome. Thanks for the photos! :applause:

Here's a non-Centaur pic for you Jon. You probably noticed them peeking out of the right shelf -

HarveyPocketComics.jpg

Why, yes, yes I did! :blush:

Me too :blush:

OMG sorry to come in late, but is any of these for sale?

To be clear and repeat, I am sharing these for the good fun of it.

Please let the gentleman know how much we are enjoying the show! :cloud9:

In addition to the Speed Digests, there is a deep run of Speed comics in the collection. This group shot has quite a few on display. The run is more complete than that since I found another stack of early issues misfiled with #s 2, 3, etc ... but didn't want to take another pics. Instead there are a few other random books in the shots.

SpeedShot1.jpg

SpeedShot2.jpg

Here are pics for the FFs out there. That's Fox Fanatics btw.

I should have done a better job with the Fox books but this was the first shot I took. There were more than displayed there and the reflection on the bag for the # 20 is :pullhair:

FoxShot1.jpg

FoxShot2.jpg

That's all she wrote, or all the pics I took I should say.

There is a deep run of Target and Blue Bolt, many Military issues and quite a few Hit, The Funnies (ahhh seeing Fantasmo in person), Crackajack Funnies, Fawcett, Sensations, All-Stars, early Wings, Zips, ... and I didn't get to check all shelves.

It was great to examine all those books and I think the owner appreciated my enthusiasm for what he had. For this I thank every one on the boards as I could Oooh and Aaah appropriately at all these obscure books which he's been collecting for over 40 years (the shelves where the books are housed where built in 1970). Thanks guys.

If anyone ever wondered what kind of collections are out there, quietly waiting to be re-discovered ...

Amazing collection Scrooge. Please thank the owner for sharing! Great to see a collection with this sort of depth.

It does make you wonder how many other massive collections exist out there... hm

Here's a non-Centaur pic for you Jon. You probably noticed them peeking out of the right shelf -

HarveyPocketComics.jpg

could not help but notice that you are missing Pocket Comics 4. Let me help......

SWEET!!!!

Here's what a complete Amazing Man run looks like :cool:

AmazingManShot1.jpg

AmazingManShot2.jpg

Very, very cool! That's definitely an old time collection - old bags, books stacked all over and old prices that didn't cost an arm and a leg!

Was most of this collection put together in the 60s and 70s? That must've been a blast digging thru the stacks surrounded by so many rare and old comics! And not a slab or mylar in sight!

It's a blast to look at the photos and try to identify the books under the top layer! Thanks for sharing ! :applause:

The deal is that this morning I got to visit a local collection with a few Centaurs in the mix.

Here's what a collection should look like with a happy GA collector ready to enjoy it. Said collector has always focused on 64-pagers and the bulk of the books on the shelves are pre-1942.

WOW!!! :whatthe:

Awesome. Thanks for the photos! :applause:

:o

OMG sorry to come in late, but is any of these for sale?

To be clear and repeat, I am sharing these for the good fun of it.

The owner is NOT selling nor interested in selling no matter what the offer.

I WILL NOT REPLY TO ANY PM CONCERNING THIS COLLECTION. Yes, Borock, not to you either :baiting:

pm sent (thumbs u

Just noticed that there was also a Wu Fang pulp with a nice spine in that big group shot (top of the far-righthand stack).

I almost hate to ask, but are these books organized in any way, and does this collector even know everything he has?

Much as I love the photos -- and I really do -- it seems like his books are just stacked, piled and boxed everywhere -- possibly to the detriment of their condition, though hopefully not in any major way.

Also, Michael, please invite him to join the boards if he is so inclined!

I'm sure we'd enjoy hearing about his collection, and perhaps he'd enjoy telling more about it.

Just noticed that there was also a Wu Fang pulp with a nice spine in that big group shot (top of the far-righthand stack).

I almost hate to ask, but are these books organized in any way, and does this collector even know everything he has?

Much as I love the photos -- and I really do -- it seems like his books are just stacked, piled and boxed everywhere -- possibly to the detriment of their condition, though hopefully not in any major way.

Well, good morning AF15Kid, ... ooopps, I mean .5.

The books are organized by theme. For example, the Aman books were all stacked together and in order so were the AMFs and the KDFs so there is order to the main shelves. The Fawcetts ... not so much. The Foxes and Fiction Houses and Speeds, etc ... were all arranged by title and issue number.

The books you see stacked vertical in the shelves are lesser books like Babe or his Sandman and Hourman Adventures and the few New Adventure issues he's got lol

For all of what it seems dangerous, the books are preserved well and tend to have no fading and maintain great page quality (Mile High redux with the stacking).

The huge stacks you see leaning behind him, I didn't get a chance to go through. Presumably, he mentioned that's all Silver Age.

The pulps are actually better organized and are nicely tucked in and safe as stacked. On top shelf left, there should be (but pics might have cut off) the typical red spine of Weird Tales, behind the Pocket Comics are Black Bats and what it looked like to be his Shadows.

Regardless, he knows exactly (or I should say mostly) what he has. That is, he knows what major book he would be missing or if he has a good run of any title or not. Still he thought his Jungles started with # 2 ... but there is a # 1. I forgot to mention a decent run of Champion / Champ and now that I think of it, I didn't find his Silver Streaks but there should be some too.