• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

To keep distracting us from the ongoing horror that is the Obidiah Oldbuck thread, here's the complete 2-issue run of Super Spy:

Thanks.

What are the stories like in Super Spy?

Are they spy-themed or is it a case of a new cover on old stories?

Wow, no posts in two days ... I guess Centaurs truly are scarce!!

Anyways, to keep things going, here is one I don't have anymore... but I have the scan, and thats good enough for this thread.

Anyone have some of those nice Gustavson FUNNY PAGES covers? The polar bear cover (#35), or the three MAD MING covers are particularily nice. A nice feature of the ARROW covers was you never saw his face... mysterious!!

1310187-AMF_vol3-%231POST.jpg

589a8dbd29d60_1310187-AMF_vol3-1POST.jpg.afcebed4a34b51b6c0ac9c4fb48d95f0.jpg

Edited by RyanH

I've got a lot of those Funny Pages you're referring to. I'll try to scan them for posting some time soon. Here's one I do have the scan of:

THAT is a sweet book, CentaurMan!! Out of all the Centaur titles, the FUNNY PAGES seem to be the hardest to come by... aside from a few Church copies I've seen for sale (that are totally out of range), and a few VF+ (also, out of range), they rarely seem to come up for sale. Maybe thats because they also represent some of THE best Centaur covers!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't have any of my Mad Ming or other Arrow cover Funny Pages scanned yet, but here are some earlier ones that are rarely seen:

funnypagesvol39.jpg

funnypages2.jpg

funnypagesvol21.jpg

Those two crazy animal covers were drawn by someone named Ryan who I'm afraid I know nothing about. Ryan contributed tons of stories for Centaur in the 1930's (I swear every Centaur from 1937 and 1938 has at least one Ryan story in it), and his style is very unique. The stories were pretty good too, in a crazy Yellow Kid kind of way. There's always way too much going on in each panel with lots of random activity in the background (check out the crazy baseball game action, and the way the monkey photographer is fishing with his foot). He's really grown on me over the years, and at this point he's my favorite Centaur writer/artist that no one ever talks about.

Anyone have any info on Ryan?

I don't have any of my Mad Ming or other Arrow cover Funny Pages scanned yet, but here are some earlier ones that are rarely seen:

funnypagesvol21.jpg

Those two crazy animal covers were drawn by someone named Ryan who I'm afraid I know nothing about. Ryan contributed tons of stories for Centaur in the 1930's (I swear every Centaur from 1937 and 1938 has at least one Ryan story in it), and his style is very unique. The stories were pretty good too, in a crazy Yellow Kid kind of way. There's always way too much going on in each panel with lots of random activity in the background (check out the crazy baseball game action, and the way the monkey photographer is fishing with his foot). He's really grown on me over the years, and at this point he's my favorite Centaur writer/artist that no one ever talks about.

Jon Berk has original art by Ryan that is hail.gif

I have the above issue also and I think very highly of his work -- very fussy, detailed, old-fashioned but it fits his very funny stories. thumbsup2.gif

funnypagesvol21.jpg

Jon Berk has original art by Ryan that is hail.gif

I have the above issue also and I think very highly of his work -- very fussy, detailed, old-fashioned but it fits his very funny stories. thumbsup2.gif

I love his stuff here are some pages, i have some others including a center fold from Funny Picture Stories.....jon

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

WOW! Thanks so much for posting those! I have always loved Ryans art, but have never been able to afford any of the books with his covers. Any list of interiors out there? I always thought he was exactly inbetween Winsor McCay & Basil Wolverton in style. I am grinning ear to ear after looking at those so close up! grin.gif

Here's Amazing-Man #17, with a pretty basic cover:

amazingman17.jpg

and #18, which begins the series of Centaur covers into 1941 which have those side-bars. Actually some pretty nifty conceptual artwork here, although the perspective is all off (no way A-Man's leg is meant to be on our side of the cannon, is it?). The Fu Manchu type guy in the upper corner seems like a non sequitor.

amazingman18.jpg

I'll skip #19 for now and go on to #20, which is one of my favorite late A-Man covers. Too bad the sidebar eats up art space. I love the guys hanging off the rocket, and their shadows. I love the damage the puma is doing to A-Man's shoulder, and the action shot of the lady shooting it in the neck. I love the heavy wooden door and the TV monitor above it showing the Great Question. Really, a tremendous action cover.

amazingman20.jpg

Ok, I'm not getting much traction on these Amazing-Mans. That's ok, these generally aren't the best covers of the Centaur line (although Lew Glanz had some pretty neat concepts, his proportions tend to be a bit off). I'll finish posting the run just to get the scans on-line, as I expect a lot of these covers are unknown to people, and it's good to have the repository in the Centaur thread.

Here's Amazing-Man #19:

amazingman19.jpg

and #21 (which drops the sidebars and gets back to full-width artwork):

amazingman21.jpg