• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Really would like to get my hands on a copy of issue #9.

I'll let you know if I find one, but I've got to tell you, the one I've got (Church copy) is the only one (other than Jon Berk's) that I'm aware exists. If I remember correctly, Metro has never owned another copy either. The only reason I don't score it higher than a 27 on my scarcity index is that the market price of the book (based on the market price of surrounding copies) is potentially low enough that it's unattractive for existing owners to contemplate selling their copies. A 27 is plenty high, though. That's a very rare score.

You mean the volume 2/#9? I think CLINK has an affordable copy available ... it seems like there are at least four copies of that comic available on any given day.

CLINK:

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back...y&id=629337

Sorry, I thought you meant vol. 2/#9, not vol.1 /#9.

I'll let you know if I find one, but I've got to tell you, the one I've got (Church copy) is the only one (other than Jon Berk's) that I'm aware exists. If I remember correctly, Metro has never owned another copy either. The only reason I don't score it higher than a 27 on my scarcity index is that the market price of the book (based on the market price of surrounding copies) is potentially low enough that it's unattractive for existing owners to contemplate selling their copies. A 27 is plenty high, though. That's a very rare score.

Just came across an unopen case of KDF #9. The ones in the middle of the case are very nice. The ones at the top and bottom - not so nice.

S

Just came across an unopen case of KDF #9. The ones in the middle of the case are very nice. The ones at the top and bottom - not so nice.

S

Well played. sign-funnypost.gif, but just in case it's not meant to be, put me down for 3 middles and a bottom.

After Wins KDF's I almost hate to post this..

But this little jewel arrived today. Seems like forever since I got a book in the mail!

mm0101.jpg

sorry bill, I just don't like that copy...in fact, I can't believe you would even want it under your roof...tell you what I am going to do for you, ole' buddy...go ahead and box that POC up, and address it to me, and I will take that miserable excuse for a funny book, and use as bird cage liner smile.gif

rick

But this little jewel arrived today. Seems like forever since I got a book in the mail!

mm0101.jpg

sorry bill, I just don't like that copy...in fact, I can't believe you would even want it under your roof...tell you what I am going to do for you, ole' buddy...go ahead and box that POC up, and address it to me, and I will take that miserable excuse for a funny book, and use as bird cage liner smile.gif

rick

Don't fall for this song and dance, Bill. He's no friend of yours. A REAL friend would offer to pay for the shipping. So let me know how much it costs to ship it to me, and I'll send you a check to cover Priority Mail. Now that's how REAL friends do things! yay.gif

mm0101.jpg

rick

Don't fall for this song and dance, Bill. He's no friend of yours. A REAL friend would offer to pay for the shipping. So let me know how much it costs to ship it to me, and I'll send you a check to cover Priority Mail. Now that's how REAL friends do things! yay.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

mm0101.jpg

rick

sorry.gif

mm0101.jpg

rick

Thanks Scott! That is very big of you. thumbsup2.gif

Nice. I believe (without looking to see if I'm right) that issue has a Bob Kane story in it that's considered something of a Batman precursor, in that it's about a detective that lives in a big mansion. I'm not sure.

You peeked! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Nice. I believe (without looking to see if I'm right) that issue has a Bob Kane story in it that's considered something of a Batman precursor, in that it's about a detective that lives in a big mansion. I'm not sure.

ahhh...why do you think I am jonesing for a copy...I searched for one (briefly) last year, and gave up...nice job ciorac, maybe you will at least let me read it in a few weeks, even if you won't give it to me yay.gif!

rick

ahhh...why do you think I am jonesing for a copy...I searched for one (briefly) last year, and gave up...nice job ciorac, maybe you will at least let me read it in a few weeks, even if you won't give it to me yay.gif!

rick

Take it home with you after the geekfest next month as a party favor.

rick

Take it home with you after the geekfest next month as a party favor.

893applaud-thumb.gifangel.gif

I'm hoping maybe one of you "completionists" can help me out... I was reading the Bill Everett bio in the front of my AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol2/#11 ("Meet the Artist"), and it mentions that he did a strip called "C-20 Mystery" for Centaur. I have no recollection of that strip being mentioned in any reference books, or Overstreet, etc. Its definitely not in any comics that I have.

I know Everett did "A-MAN", "Dirk the Demon" and "Skyrocket Steele", but the "C-20 Mystery" is a new one on me. CentaurMan, Jon Berk... does this ring a bell?? I am facsinated by the idea that there is a Bill Everett strip I don't know about!! Maybe the strip appeared in KEEN DETECTIVE?

Anyone? Anyone?? (Who will be the first to claim the "Centaur No-Prize"?)

popcorn.gif

I'm hoping maybe one of you "completionists" can help me out... I was reading the Bill Everett bio in the front of my AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol2/#11 ("Meet the Artist"), and it mentions that he did a strip called "C-20 Mystery" for Centaur. I have no recollection of that strip being mentioned in any reference books, or Overstreet, etc. Its definitely not in any comics that I have.

I know Everett did "A-MAN", "Dirk the Demon" and "Skyrocket Steele", but the "C-20 Mystery" is a new one on me. CentaurMan, Jon Berk... does this ring a bell?? I am facsinated by the idea that there is a Bill Everett strip I don't know about!! Maybe the strip appeared in KEEN DETECTIVE?

popcorn.gif

I can't answer the question, but I did notice the "meet the artist" feature in one of my copies. It reminded (in a good way) of what EC did some 15 years later.

Was Centaur the first company to feature it's creative staff this way?

popcorn.gif

I can't answer the question, but I did notice the "meet the artist" feature in one of my copies. It reminded (in a good way) of what EC did some 15 years later.

Was Centaur the first company to feature it's creative staff this way?

I would think they were one of the first to have an "artist" feature... its a very cool "extra" in some of the Centaurs (esp. for an Everett fan like me).... now I just have to find a "Frank Thomas" Meet the Artist feature!

Its cool that the artists do a self portrait to accompany the article...

popcorn.gif

According to the Keltner Index which i helped for Centaurs C-20 Mystery appeared once 8 pages in

Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/7.....jb