• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

I'm hoping maybe one of you "completionists" can help me out... I was reading the Bill Everett bio in the front of my AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol2/#11 ("Meet the Artist"), and it mentions that he did a strip called "C-20 Mystery" for Centaur. I have no recollection of that strip being mentioned in any reference books, or Overstreet, etc. Its definitely not in any comics that I have.

I know Everett did "A-MAN", "Dirk the Demon" and "Skyrocket Steele", but the "C-20 Mystery" is a new one on me. CentaurMan, Jon Berk... does this ring a bell?? I am facsinated by the idea that there is a Bill Everett strip I don't know about!! Maybe the strip appeared in KEEN DETECTIVE?

Anyone? Anyone?? (Who will be the first to claim the "Centaur No-Prize"?)

popcorn.gif

According to the Keltner Index which i helped for Centaurs C-20 Mystery appeared once 8 pages in

Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/7.....jb

.......and, of course, I don't have 2/7........but I have 2/8, 2/9 & 2/10. Christo_pull_hair.gif

100_1583.jpg

STEVE

Wow, thanks so much Jon B. and Steve... thats wonderful. Great, now I want a copy...

That style looks very different from Everett's Submariner work or even A-MAN... I love it!! (I'm a big fan of the black and white and red color scheme of these early Centaurs) I guess it is several months before MARVEL #1. What a great looking splash ... thanks for posting that, Steve! I know you only do it to make me squirm! frustrated.gif

I LOVE these Centaurs... they never cease to surprise me!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

What a great looking splash ...

I don't know if you mean the entire page or just the top title tier but my favorite aspect of this page is the middle tier where Everett carefully captured each characters and nailed their physical expressions and positions. Understated and effective. Simply wonderful.

What a great looking splash ...

I don't know if you mean the entire page or just the top title tier but my favorite aspect of this page is the middle tier where Everett carefully captured each characters and nailed their physical expressions and positions. Understated and effective. Simply wonderful.

I mean the whole dang thing, but you are dead-on about the middle tier .... beautiful line work and shading. Great expressions.

And I love Everett's signature!!

um, anyone want to sell me a copy of 2/7?? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

100_1583.jpg

STEVE

Wow, thanks so much Jon B. and Steve... thats wonderful. Great, now I want a copy...

That style looks very different from Everett's Submariner work or even A-MAN... I love it!! (I'm a big fan of the black and white and red color scheme of these early Centaurs) I guess it is several months before MARVEL #1. What a great looking splash ... thanks for posting that, Steve! I know you only do it to make me squirm! frustrated.gif

I LOVE these Centaurs... they never cease to surprise me!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Agreed. Thanks, Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif

100_1585.jpg

STEVE

WOW! Really fantastic page!! Now I'm really jones-ing for a copy. That looks to be some of Everett's finest work from that period. Thanks for posting that page as well, Steve. I just love Everett's dramatic lettering, and staging ... that page is just beautiful.

cloud9.gif

Yeah, I love the wrench and cans in the foreground. Totally unnecessary to the shot, but really sets the mood of the room.

Very "1939"...

Everettt evidently loved his india ink in this period!! Very heavy ! Hard to believe a few months later he developed such a fine line and shading technique (as in A-MAN , or Submariner).

Yeah, I love the wrench and cans in the foreground. Totally unnecessary to the shot, but really sets the mood of the room.

I'd disagree with you there CMan. The cans are completely necessary to the shot to establish depth so that the picture has about 3 levels of depth. Namely, foreground: cans and wrench, middle-ground: bodies, furniture and killer and finally backgroun: cop, doors, body on chair and back wall. Notice how Everett was careful to overlap the killer's gun on the open door to establish depth again. All is nicely worked out and made the cans completely necessary, even the fact that the hose to the can on the far left is overlapping the body's shadow.

I'd disagree with you there CMan. The cans are completely necessary to the shot to establish depth so that the picture has about 3 levels of depth. Namely, foreground: cans and wrench, middle-ground: bodies, furniture and killer and finally backgroun: cop, doors, body on chair and back wall. Notice how Everett was careful to overlap the killer's gun on the open door to establish depth again. All is nicely worked out and made the cans completely necessary, even the fact that the hose to the can on the far left is overlapping the body's shadow.

Well, if it was ME drawing the picture I definitely wouldn't have considered putting in the cans. So by that standard they're unnecessary. Of course, I'd also have drawn stick figures and no one would be seen in profile, so it would be a pretty different picture.

Well, if it was ME drawing the picture I definitely wouldn't have considered putting in the cans. So by that standard they're unnecessary. Of course, I'd also have drawn stick figures and no one would be seen in profile, so it would be a pretty different picture.

You mean you could be hired to draw the other 85% of Centaur features poke2.gif

100_1585.jpg

STEVE

WOW! Really fantastic page!! Now I'm really jones-ing for a copy. That looks to be some of Everett's finest work from that period. Thanks for posting that page as well, Steve. I just love Everett's dramatic lettering, and staging ... that page is just beautiful.

cloud9.gif

893whatthe.gif

Absolutely jaw-dropping splash page! headbang.gif

I've always be on the fence about Fred Guardineer's art since it's very appealing to me at times but yet Fred has drawn some turkeys in his time. I was very pleased with this (early) work in Funny Pages v.2 # 2. This is by far the best feature in the issue -

1608220-FunnyPagesv2-2Guardineer1.jpg

1608220-FunnyPagesv2-2Guardineer2.jpg

The first panel of the second tier in the first page I posted is so "wood-cut"-ish and appealing, probably my favorite panel of the entire story.

1608220-FunnyPagesv2-2Guardineer2.jpg.dce58e21d09e2dc7849065921f4b2fc0.jpg

I've always be on the fence about Fred Guardineer's art...

I pretty much find Guardineer's work very appealing across the board. Some of his stuff is really amazing, yet I also like the "wood cut" (nicely stated) style as well.

Thanks for posting those cool pics, Michael.

STEVE