• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Did a trade tonight and picked up a handful of early books. Here's Funny Picture Stories 2/2 (Church copy - I bought this from Chuck long ago, only to trade it away. Nice to have it back smile.gif):

100_1588.jpg

STEVE

hail.gif

Did a trade tonight and picked up a handful of early books. Here's Funny Picture Stories 2/2 (Church copy - I bought this from Chuck long ago, only to trade it away. Nice to have it back smile.gif):

100_1588.jpg

STEVE

hail.gif

WOW, what a stunner!!! 893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

In keeping with all your other incredible books Steve! Well DONE!!

Re: Guardineer, I have always really liked the tightness of his work. Very sharp and stylized. I would love to track down some of his work for Centaur, as well as his MOON MAN strip for Timely (MYSTIC). Thanks for posting those pages Scrooge and Steve!

wow, a lot of good material today... Steve must be locked in the house with the phone unplugged today...

I've always be on the fence about Fred Guardineer's art since it's very appealing to me at times but yet Fred has drawn some turkeys in his time. I was very pleased with this (early) work in Funny Pages v.2 # 2. This is by far the best feature in the issue -

1608220-FunnyPagesv2-2Guardineer1.jpg

The first panel of the second tier in the first page I posted is so "wood-cut"-ish and appealing, probably my favorite panel of the entire story.

Don't hand us that "wood cut"-ish rationale. You know darn well it's because you've got a crush on foxy Natalie in that open, flowered shirt!

Jack

(I don't, of course)

Don't hand us that "wood cut"-ish rationale. You know darn well it's because you've got a crush on foxy Natalie in that open, flowered shirt!

blush.gif You got me there!

Here's a sampling of some cool Wolverton from Amazing Man 25 -

1609120-AmazingMan25WolvertonSplash.jpg

1609120-AmazingMan25Wolverton2.jpg

1609120-AmazingMan25Wolverton2.jpg.81e2389d7dd6bd63ea2734ec47be3b69.jpg

OMG, Scrooge... what great pages. Thanks for posting!! A tough to get issue, if i understand correctly!! The covers of AMAN #25 and #26 do nothing for me, but are obviously worth it if only for the Wolverton art!! SO cool!!

Haven't seen any of the "METEOR MARTIN" work before, , although I have a few TARGET "Spacehwaks" and the first "PLANET PATROL" in AMF. Its all great stuff.

Well done!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well, I don't think I have posted this panel before...

This has got to be my favorite EYE SEES! panel... its worthy of framing. THE EYE had a real, um, eye for the ladies!! There are a few stories where THE EYE just appears in a lady's room, unvited! Me thinks Frank Thomas had a case of the "peeping toms", or "peeping Thomas' " as it were!

1609309-theEYElores.jpg

1609309-theEYElores.jpg.bef8d59db511ab52936ec5cc55fa3098.jpg

Edited by RyanH

I really learn a lot of stuff I never knew reading these GA threads...I always thought because I was well versed in Marvel SA lore, I had pretty godd comic history knowledge tonofbricks.gif OBVIOUSLY WRONG!!! makepoint.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I really learn a lot of stuff I never knew reading these GA threads...I always thought because I was well versed in Marvel SA lore, I had pretty godd comic history knowledge tonofbricks.gif OBVIOUSLY WRONG!!! makepoint.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Thats the beauty of these boards!! I have learned so much, my brain is now so crammed full of knowledge of comics that I can't function in the real world!

But I could tell you lots about THE EYE, or Amazing Man...

tongue.gif

OMG, Scrooge... what great pages. Thanks for posting!! A tough to get issue, if i understand correctly!! The covers of AMAN #25 and #26 do nothing for me, but are obviously worth it if only for the Wolverton art!! SO cool!!

Haven't seen any of the "METEOR MARTIN" work before, , although I have a few TARGET "Spacehwaks" and the first "PLANET PATROL" in AMF. Its all great stuff.

Well done!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Another classic Wolverton story that I hadn't seen before -- that splash with all of the spaceships is unreal. Thanks, Scrooge! thumbsup2.gif

Of special note to me in this issue, other than the Bill Everett and Fred Guardineer art, is a story by (Allen) Bert Christman.

Christman was the artist (using the AKA of "Larry Dean") who initiated the first few Sandman stories for DC. He also handled the art on the "Scorchy Smith" aviation newspaper strip for two years (1936-1938).

Not only a draftsman, Christman was also a pilot who flew from a scouting squadron aboard the CV Ranger. He joined the American Volunteer Group to combat the Japanese in the opening stages of WWII.

Christman was shot down in the Burmese theatre on 1/4/42, but survived. On 1/23/42, he and his fellow pilots intercepted a Japanase bombing raid on Rangoon. Christman was shot down again, and he was killed.

So 65 years (and 1 week later) I'd like to salute Allen Bert Christman the Golden Age artist who gave life to the comics, and Allen Bert Christman the aviator who gave his own life fighting for the Allies and for freedom.

Here's the opening splash page from his story in AMF 1/4:

100_1607.jpg

STEVE

Of special note to me in this issue, other than the Bill Everett and Fred Guardineer art, is a story by (Allen) Bert Christman.

Christman was the artist (using the AKA of "Larry Dean") who initiated the first few Sandman stories for DC. He also handled the art on the "Scorchy Smith" aviation newspaper strip for two years (1936-1938).

Not only a draftsman, Christman was also a pilot who flew from a scouting squadron aboard the CV Ranger. He joined the American Volunteer Group to combat the Japanese in the opening stages of WWII.

Christman was shot down in the Burmese theatre on 1/4/42, but survived. On 1/23/42, he and his fellow pilots intercepted a Japanase bombing raid on Rangoon. Christman was shot down again, and he was killed.

So 65 years (and 1 week later) I'd like to salute Allen Bert Christman the Golden Age artist who gave life to the comics, and Allen Bert Christman the aviator who gave his own life fighting for the Allies and for freedom.

Here's the opening splash page from his story in AMF 1/4:

100_1607.jpg

STEVE

Thank you for this and well done! A nice tribute and a great way to learn more about that amazing period of time. I can't help but be drawn to it. Today's society seems pale compared to the people then. thumbsup2.gif

Here's another former book of mine that I was able to reclaim yesterday:

100_1606.jpg

STEVE

Steve, WOW, that is a serious book. Does anyone but you and Jon Berk own that book?? CONGRATULATIONS on re-obtaining that book... its just incredible (both in condition and rarity)!!

hail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Also, thanks for sharing the condensed story of Christman ... I love hearing the story of the artists behind these amazing books. I would give anything to have been a fly on the wall at Funnies, Inc.!!

That book is worthy of one more hail.gif

What ELSE did you score over the weekend??

Here's another former book of mine that I was able to reclaim yesterday:

100_1606.jpg

STEVE

Wow. Never seen that one before! Win will be along presently to turn green with envy.

Fantastic colors on that copy. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif