• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Congrat's on the 'big boy' first issue; I had a feeling that copy would be yours. :applause:

thanks...I was fortunate Win had a copy, and the Pq wouldn't meet your standards :baiting:

Nice little group shot Rick!!! Glad you snagged that copy of #1. (thumbs u

How was the page quality by the way???"

slightly brittle to offwhite....but, beggars can't be choosers!

see you in just over a week!

I have a question:

I have a line on a Keen Detective Funnies Vol. 2 (I think) #18 (the bondage/torture cover seen on the bottom left row of the following pic):

keendetectivefunnies.jpg

The cover is very flat and clean, though it's cleanly split down the top third. The staples are dark (rusty) as well with hardly any migration (yet). In a mylar it looks f/vf.

How tough a book is it in relation to other Centaurs? What would be a fair price?

It doesn't come up often, and is one of the more desirable issues in the run. As far as a price, hard to say. If it really looks that nice, although technically only a VG you may end up paying a lot more. I paid $175 for a VG copy and thought that was a steal. A nice looking book may command near $400-500, but with the rusty staples I'd be hesitant to pay that much. I would think somewhere in the $250-350 is realistic.

It doesn't come up often, and is one of the more desirable issues in the run. As far as a price, hard to say. If it really looks that nice, although technically only a VG you may end up paying a lot more. I paid $175 for a VG copy and thought that was a steal. A nice looking book may command near $400-500, but with the rusty staples I'd be hesitant to pay that much. I would think somewhere in the $250-350 is realistic.

I actually would grade it as a (very good looking) G. I forgot to mention there is a small piece of tape at the bottom of the cover on the outside bottom corner holding on about a half inch of the corner.

I could get it for a LOT less than the prices listed above... hm

... especially if the page quality is good!! Not an easy issue to find, and only one of the two covers the EYE makes a cover appearance. You can always get the spine split sealed and end up with a very nice looking comic.

I looked for the WinDex on the Keen Detective series and couldn't find it. Did you run the numbers on that series, CMan?

The toughest issues of KDF are, in approximate order:

v1#10 (the toughest)

v1#9 (brutal as well)

-gap-

v2#1

v1#11

v1#8

v2#4

v2#7

-gap-

v2#8

v2#2

v2#6

There are 6 others that are tricky to varying degrees, depending on your luck at the time

-gap-

v2#9 (these are the only two that I would consider easy)

It's a fun series to collect. It's generally doable (except for the 2 issues I list above as borderline impossible), but it will take a while and money isn't really going to help you. The covers are all serious, nothing goofy or cartoonish.

It's a bit easier than Amazing Mystery Funnies (probably THE classic long-run Centaur series for quality covers) and Funny Pages (a very difficult long-run Centaur series to complete, but it had an unfortunate run of silly covers in the middle which don't excite people, so a lot of folks just focus on the 8 Arrow and 3 Mad Ming covers).

I looked for the WinDex on the Keen Detective series and couldn't find it. Did you run the numbers on that series, CMan?

The toughest issues of KDF are, in approximate order:

v1#10 (the toughest)

v1#9 (brutal as well)

-gap-

v2#1

v1#11

v1#8

v2#4

v2#7

-gap-

v2#8

v2#2

v2#6

There are 6 others that are tricky to varying degrees, depending on your luck at the time

-gap-

v2#9 (these are the only two that I would consider easy)

I will agree with win.... I have been looking for a 1/10 forever, and I THink win has the Mile High copy (shrug) so it is almost impossible to find...

I would also add that #20 is so classic (gerber cover) that while it is not "impossible" to locate, it is very tough to find someone to sell one (thumbs u

It's a fun series to collect. It's generally doable (except for the 2 issues I list above as borderline impossible), but it will take a while and money isn't really going to help you. The covers are all serious, nothing goofy or cartoonish.

It's a bit easier than Amazing Mystery Funnies (probably THE classic long-run Centaur series for quality covers) and Funny Pages (a very difficult long-run Centaur series to complete, but it had an unfortunate run of silly covers in the middle which don't excite people, so a lot of folks just focus on the 8 Arrow and 3 Mad Ming covers).

Thank you as always for the insights (worship)

this thread is making me want to collect some centaur!!

i only have one so far: western pictures stories #1

that is a nice one...2-4 are tough, but great Eisner art!

looking to finish those off first then try for amazing man.

I love amazing man...issues 5-11 are great...12-21 are pretty good, 22 is DA BOMB and 23-24 are cool...25-26 are close to, and impossible (respectively)...